My Barn Twins

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by fxray, Feb 26, 2015.

1. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    We still on mowers Ray? Drive belt broke on mine taking out the wiring for electric clutch. Repaired it, nothing. Book said check fuses but didn’t show where. Called dealer and he said they could be anywhere in loom but most likely under seat. Finally found it zip tied under a panel using a mirror three hours later. Also neighbor kid came over to borrow my Sherpa so him, his brother and father can go take drivers test as they all have Harley’s. His dad still hasn’t passed the written test though. If you want to try out my zero turn stop over and you can mow as long as you like.
  2. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^Ody, it sounds like your farmer's ingenuity kicked in. I'm glad you got it fixed. I'll be over to try out your zero turn, but I need to get caught up at home first. The way things are looking, that won't happen any time sooner than 2020.

I'm still not back to the Havana Gold R90, but at least I'm working on motorcycles again. I spent almost all day on the TR6R, and now it'll be down for two or three weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not what you might think -- I didn't break it or anything. I cleaned and serviced it and then removed the Amal monobloc, which I stripped down. I'm about to send off the body, the jet block, and the sleeve to Lund Machining out in Snohomish Washington. Their repair process is here. I hope the old carburetor doesn't get lost in the mail. It's been part of this bike for 54 years now. The bike is all set and ready to go as soon as it gets its carburetor back in place.

I've started using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) with micro fiber towels to clean the bikes. It avoids getting water into places where it shouldn't go, and does a pretty good job. I had used the equivalent Turtle Wax No Rinse product, but they pulled it off the market. The ONR is similar, but the only way I have found to buy it is on-line. Oh well, a couple bottles will last nearly forever.
    brittrunyon and guywithchickens like this.
  3. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nearly a month down the road from the last post, my poor '76 R90/6 is still about where it was last time. Here's what's going on in the land of the barn twins.

First off, the Amal Monobloc did not get lost in shipment. It is back and looks better than ever!

As mentioned in the previous post, I finally sent the body, the slide, and the jet block off to Lund Machining. Two weeks later, it has a new lease on life, even though it's the original carburetor off this bike from 54 years ago.

[​IMG]

The slide has been sleeved and the body has been bored to fit with the proper clearance. Measuring it up, things look excellent to me. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping for a rock solid idle circuit. I'll let you know later. I just need to make up some new fuel lines from stuff already on hand, and get it back on the bike.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the '76 R90 is a tiny bit further along. I have the frame cleaned and touched up, and was cleaning all the harness connections when I got distracted by other stuff. I'll still get back into it.

[​IMG]

Once the harness is tie-wrapped back in place, and the coils, starter relay, VR, etc, are hooked up, the next step is to pull the jugs and start looking at what I need in there.

Meanwhile, one slot over, the '74 R90/6 has been running great. The only problem there is this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems like I put this bike into service just the other day, but I've run up 7,650 trouble-free miles since March of last year. From the looks of the back tire, I did a lot more straight roads than curvy, and wore out the middle first. Maybe somebody near the BRP could run it a while to use up that meat still left on the sides.

Oh well, the front Avon Roadrider can go a bit yet, and I have this new rear one over in the corner behind the Harley:

[​IMG]

Fresh from Dennis Kirk, with a September, 2017 date code, and the center groove looks a bit deeper:

[​IMG]

Speaking of the Harley, believe it or not, there's no more need for kitty litter on the floor under it, and no -- it's not out of oil. Since I flipped the oil rings right side up and replaced all the external oil lines, it quit drinking / leaking oil. It runs great, except for the too frequent "Evo cough" in colder weather. I ran it a couple hundred miles last Sunday and it was fine in the warmer weather. I think it's a bit lean and it needs the fuel screw turned out another half turn or so. The problem has been reaching in to access the screw.

This is one of those "set by the factory -- don't touch it" screws, hence they felt no need to make it accessible. Of course, from new (back in 1992), the bike wouldn't run without a new low speed jet. The factory plug over the screw is long since drilled out and gone. When I put the bike together the last time, I set it 2.5 turns out from the bottom. I guess three turns is what it needed, and is the more common setting if the internet experts are credible.

You could remove the air filter and backer plate in front of the carburetor on the RH side to access the screw, but then you couldn't run the engine while you were making adjustments.

[​IMG]

From the other side, you can see where the screw is located, but that's all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This screwdriver can point to the screw, but cannot engage it. I think my buddy has a right angled screwdriver just for this purpose, but he is too sick these days for me to bother him about it. :cry :cry

So . . . what do you do if you're the tool whore? You get on-line and order your own MotionPro screwdriver from Dennis Kirk, conveniently shipped along with that tire I needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you turn the graduated knob on this end, either clockwise or counterclockwise (anticlockwise for any Brits reading this):

[​IMG]

The tiny 1:1 bevel gears on the other end transmit the rotation through 90° and spin the output shaft the same direction and through the same number of degrees of rotation:

[​IMG]

It comes with a variety of bits and adapters. Here, I have inserted the straight blade bit for adjusting the carburetor screw:

[​IMG]

So, all this stuff just arrived but I haven't yet used it. Instead -- of all things -- I have been down in the basement the past couple days poring over that 1970 SL350 Honda that I got from inmate lit67. It's cooler down there, and I would like to get the frame and a few other parts to the powder shop. I've been sorting parts, plugging holes, and capping studs. I know the powder shop would do that, but I have been burnt before and I trust it better if I do it myself. Besides, I'm about to go to yet another new (to me) powder shop.

[​IMG]

The headstock bearings are out and accounted for (not my first rodeo with the loose ball bearings), and the neck is plugged to exclude the powder:

[​IMG]

I've been running little M6 / M8 / M10 bolts from Ace Hardware into all the tapped holes. I suspect this bike was originally for the South American market, because as I count up how many holes need to be plugged, there's about a Brazilian of them. :lol3

(I know there are still some to be plugged in this picture. I wasn't done yet.)

[​IMG]

I still need to extract the pivot and shock absorber bushings from the swing arm, but I have done that before on my CL350 and have a relatively easy method.

There's a skid plate too, which is a new experience for me. My CL350 did not come equipped with one of these. This one has served its purpose of protecting the engine a time or two, and will need a little bashing back into shape before powder coating. Still, it is in pretty good condition, all things considered.

[​IMG]

Somehow, this thing calls out to me. It seems like it is more than just a skid plate. I think it has the makings of a good avatar picture, but I don't know exactly why. I suspect I've been influenced by Big Bamboo:

[​IMG]

. . . or maybe by nmalozzi:

[​IMG]

Yet, it lacks something.

. . . Maybe it needs . . . this?

[​IMG]

Meantime, the best project for me has been fixing my eyeglasses. I got home from cataract surgery (IOL replacement on my RH eye) on Tuesday afternoon. After surgery, the prescription lens on that side of my glasses no longer did me any good. It just distorted things for me at that point, so I removed it:

[​IMG]

My doctor told me I could resume normal activities on the weekend after my cataract surgery.

Me: Does the weekend start on Friday or Saturday?

Dr: What do you have in mind?

Me: Riding a motorcycle.

Dr: Do you plan to wear a helmet?

Me: You bet.

Dr: Full faced helmet with the screen closed tight?

Me: I promise.

Dr: You'll be good to go on Friday morning.

It's awesome! I took my first ride with my new eyeball this morning. With the corrective trifocal lens over my left eye, and no lens at all over my right eye, things are pretty well balanced. Closing my left eye, and using only the right one, I can read even the fine print on my airhead gauges. I can then look up and see crystal clear scenery all the way to the horizon! I may need some cheap magnifier glasses from Walmart for some situations, but not on the bike! I get the other eye done in a couple weeks. I fully expect to be able to night ride again. This is literally an eye-opening experience!

:wings
  4. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always glad to see this thread extended by you. Really great the surgery has helped so much. JT
    fxray likes this.
  5. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...and... as always.... between the avatar stuff and the eye-doctor exchange, you get me to giggle/snort/cackle out loud at your sensayuma. Love it, mon!

:wink:
    fxray likes this.
  6. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    O.K., so here's a new thread locking method I've never seen before -- what's up with this?

I took the oil suction bell off the '76 Havana Gold R90/6 (I think I will start calling this bike 'Seegar' for short, since the color is named after a Cuban cigar). This bike had the Heukerott deep oil pan, an extended flange for the suction bell, and longer mounting bolts.

[​IMG]

The bolts are my focus here. I know about Red Loctite, Blue Loctite, patch lock bolts, etc. I know about staking threads. These bolts are different. They came out with difficulty. I didn't know what else to do except keep winding them out regardless.

Look here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the very tip of each, there appears to be a locking system consisting of a dab of weld across the roots of the thread! The bolts had to be this way before they were assembled. I can't think of another way the leading tip of each could have gotten this way otherwise. That means they were destroying the mating threads in the crankcase when somebody ran them in, and again as I removed them.

Who thought this was a good idea?

I google searched, but came up empty. Anybody seen this before?
    brittrunyon likes this.
  7. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never seen that on any I’ve removed. Fwiw
  8. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's an update on the barn twins (and one non-twin barn bike that looks like a twin when viewed from the rear -- more on that in a bit).

Seegar, the Havana Gold R90 was languishing on the lift table in the garage and I wasn't getting anything done on it. I needed the table for other bikes, and it was getting too hot in the non-air-conditioned garage anyway. I rolled it down to the basement where it is cooler, and I will tend to it as I get time over the summer. Meanwhile, I am trying to keep up with the maintenance and exercise on the four riders in the garage. I removed the center stand on the gold R90 and bracketed it to the lift that I used when building the black R90 during its basement tenure.

So, the black R90 has been run across the garage table and has a fresh oil & filter change, new back tire, plus freshly packed rear wheel bearings. Since I had to remove the left side aftermarket silencer for that task anyway, I pulled them both off. The cleaned and polished stock silencers from Seegar were waiting on the shelf, so I temporarily stuck them on the black R90. I like the way they look and sound on there. I narrowly missed a real bargain on a nice set of original /6 silencers at the Pecatonica meet. Maybe another set will appear. If not, these will go back on the gold bike when it is ready, and the aftermarket ones will go back on here.

[​IMG]

I did source a couple good bargains in the form of headlight bezels with the screw clamp instead of the spring clip. That lets me get away from the plastic tie-wraps on both R90's to prevent the headlight from popping out. What was BMW thinking of back then anyway?

[​IMG]

While the headlight was out, I installed a new EL-13 flasher to replace the 44 year old OEM unit. It had still been flashing the signals O.K., but the dash indicator was very intermittent. I had cleaned out the tungsten dust (shed from the flasher's internal breaker points) when I redid the bike, but that powder was back with a vengeance. The new flasher is heavy duty electro-mechanical (about $17.50 from Autozone), but it won't work with all led signal lights. I don't care about that since I don't plan to use them anyway. The dash turn signal indicator (KATDASH board) works great now.

Some other exhausting work . . . my neighbor helped me out by welding the freeze plugs back into the Harley FXRS OEM original silencers that I dug out of basement storage. A much younger and stupider version of myself had knocked the original freeze plugs out with a hammer and punch about 26 years ago. I think I mentioned this last time. The re-welding was no easy feat, working blindly and eight inches down inside the silencers to tack the plugs in place. We managed to blow a tiny pinhole through the new freeze plug on each silencer, but that will give them character. The bike should still be far quieter than it has been.

But . . . there are four NLA heat shields for the original exhaust system that I am attempting to put back onto the bike. I only found the one for the crossover pipe still attached. After searching everywhere I could think of, I started looking on eBay. The missing shields are available if I want to pay premium price for dented, rusty junk. More looking was in order.

After a good night's sleep, I woke up thinking they might be in the attic over the garage. Sure enough, right inside the door was a box labeled '92 FXRS heat shields, put away there by yours truly about 20 yrs ago. They were wrapped in plastic and were inside a box that once had held a brand new set of Dyna drag pipes. The 1993 price on that set of straight pipes was $77.16 from the local Harley shop (intended for use only on closed circuit competition -- rriiigghhtt! :lol3).

With all the parts now located, I started tearing off the Vance & Hines straight shots. That is a decent system, but I have been fighting a mounting bolt that rubs and makes a keening sound when the bike is running. It is driving me crazy and I can't seem to adjust to eliminate the rubbing. Besides, I am tired of overly loud Harley pipes at this stage of my life. I hope this return to stock OEM works out. Here it was with the rear pipe removed.

[​IMG]

I interrupted the FXRS work to go adopt another stray. Here it is on the first day home, fresh out of the van:

[​IMG]

If you look closely, you will see that there are two silencers but only one single, massively powerful, 344 cc cylinder up front. That's right -- it's a 350SS Harley Davidson/Aermacchi Sprint, with a Y-pipe to feed twin silencers. The exhaust is all there, and in pretty good shape for a 49 year old bike (manufacture date of September, 1969). In fact, the whole bike is very complete and seems to have all original parts intact. The cylinder is free, and the tank is clean inside. I don't think it will take much to get it going. Meanwhile, even if it never runs again, I see it as a serious piece of floor art. Here are some more pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't just BMW R90-S's that ran Del Orts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stickers and logos on the bike:

On the tip of the front fender:

[​IMG]

On the front of the instrument pod:

[​IMG]

On the toolbox:

[​IMG]

The tank logo:

[​IMG]

The taillight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . and temporarily snuggled into the Harley corner, where it has a legitimate claim to be, despite being Italian:

[​IMG]

So -- RH side stand, LH kick lever, RH shift (one up, three down), LH brake pedal, 6V battery, TLS front drum brake, cable actuated SLS rear drum brake, four original foot pegs with little to no wear on the rubber, original hand grips, original switch gear, chrome and alloy in better general condition than the last airhead I got. It runs the same tire size as my Airheads and my Triumph TR6R -- 3.25x19 front, and 4.00x18 rear. This combination always looks perfect to my eye!

I don't care what anybody thinks, I sez this thing is cool!
  9. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sez it’s cool too. Much better than a CB 350. I’ve got a friend who speaks Italian if you need anything translated.
  10. junkcollector

junkcollector Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pot sez Kettle is developing a bike problem!
  11. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pot is right. This rounds it off to 10 bikes even. That's gotta be the max for me! Do you know, just offhand, how many are in your stable? :D
  12. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Looks like you have room for them all inside. So if you get another one put up another building. Easy peasy. :photog

Thank me later.
    Geezerrv likes this.
  13. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10 bikes! I'm still regularly justifying 2 bikes to the family ("Why do you need two?"). What's the secret?

Also, an old friend at work had a theory: you can only have so many "holes" in working order at a given time (holes=cylinders), counting for cars, boats, motorcycles, mowers, trimmers, blowers, snowmobiles, etc. I forget his exact limit number, but it was in the 20-30 range. That meant something was always not working.
  14. racerb

racerb A Luddite Still Learning Supporter

Oddometer:
    "HOLES" A very interesting theory. Currently I have 57 functional and 4 non. So I will track the data over say a two year period and validate. Is the target range related to age, employment disposition, addiction, marital status, or peer pressure? Certainly not financial growth.
    bpeckm likes this.
  15. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guy, there's no secret, we're just all different and the number of bikes is a relative thing. Peter Egan once wrote an opinion piece on this subject. Not too surprisingly, he called it, "How Many Bikes Do You Really Need?" The original article was in Cycle World in March, 1997, but is also reprinted in his first Leanings book. There are two more books in the series, Leanings 2, and Leanings 3. I recommend getting all three books if you don't have them already.

He and his friends had a long discussion (I believe he said that alcohol was involved) and they decided finally that the optimum number is five. These should include:
    1. A sportbike
    2. A sport-touring bike
    3. A dirtbike
    4. A great big hog of some kind
    5. An old crock
    In his article, he went into detail on each type, and why they are needed. He also explained that there are circumstances that force more constraint, and that it may be possible to live with as little as one or two bikes if you choose carefully.

I've never personally felt the need for a true sportbike or a sport-touring bike. I had one dirtbike when I was young, and enjoyed it. However, I found myself riding more on the street than off-road, so I sold it and never got back to the dirt. I have had a couple of big old hogs of some kind. As I got older, they got to be too much.

[​IMG]

I still have the FXRS on the left in the picture, but the big old hogs are gone. Some would consider the little FXRS to be a big old hog too, but that is just opinion. For example, compare its size to these BMW's parked on either side of it one night:

[​IMG]

So . . . the category where my bikes (and I as well) seem to fit is the last one -- an old crock. They're all old crocks with some characteristics of the other categories. I'm O.K. with that, and I must even enjoy that category since I keep on dragging them home.

Only four of my bikes are riders -- the others are projects for the future, if I live long enough. With my riders though, I find it satisfying to think that I am the one who put the rings onto the pistons, among other things. I am thoroughly familiar with them all.

junkcollector, who made this tongue-in-cheek comment, is anything but a junk collector. He has bikes that arguably could fit all of Mr. Egan's categories. He also probably has more bikes than I do, especially if we count the ones that could be assembled from parts on hand. Hence the pot/kettle analogy.

One big difference between junkcollector and me is that I tend to get emotionally attached to my bikes and I have trouble putting them up for sale. He more enjoys the pursuit of bikes that are new to him and the challenge of building or personalizing them to suit his taste. Once they are done, he is ready to move them on and start anew. He has owned a vastly higher number of bikes in the past than I have.

Charlie, they are squeezed in, but I'm already past my own comfortable limit. I won't be putting up any sheds in the back yard, so I thank you now for your comment.

I've heard of this before, but it always made me think of the farmer who was known for quick, accurate counts of how many cows were in a pasture. When he was asked how he could do that so fast, he said, "It's easy really, I just count all the legs and then divide by four!"

Again it's all relative, and we all have different wants and needs.
    racerb and guywithchickens like this.
  16. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got the FXRS OEM exhaust system sorted out. It was kind of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle that I had taken apart way too many years ago. The freeze plugs that we tack welded back inside the mufflers seem to be staying in place, and it is a whole new experience riding this thing in stealth mode. Of course, now I hear real or imagined engine bearing noise that was always there but was masked by the loud exhaust. It's always something. Earplugs may be in order :lol3.

Here it is back to bone stock exhaust for the first time since the early 1990's:

[​IMG]

The R90/6 is also back to stock silencers:

[​IMG]

So, I like the original look and sound. Now all that remains is to deal with the aftermath. This pile of stuff needs to be cleaned, polished, sorted, and stored . . . somewhere.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the inmate known as junkcollector has put a bug in my ear about yet another topic. He always has his feelers out for motorcycles, books, camping gear, etc. When he sees something that is irresistible, but he already has one, he thinks about who else he can involve. His friends are all familiar with the phrase, "You need to buy this . . ."

The latest thing is, "Have you bought a Kermit Chair yet? You really need to buy a Kermit Chair. If you go to a rally and you don't have a Kermit Chair, you'll regret it. Everybody should buy a Kermit Chair. You can't be a real BMW rider without a Kermit Chair -- especially owning an airhead."

Coincidentally, another friend of more than 45 yrs mentioned that he has had two Kermit Chairs since about 2007. So far, the only time they have been out of their bags was to show them to somebody. He was planning to ride his '71 R60/5 to the MOA Rally coming up in Des Moines, Iowa. Sadly, some health issues preclude that. He mentioned to me that he thought he would just sell the chairs. This, coming on the heels of junkcollector telling me I should have a Kermit Chair, just seemed more than a coincidence, so I bought them. My wife thinks I have lost my mind. Actually, she's pretty sure about that.

Check it out:

[​IMG]

They each have a set of aluminum leg extensions, but here's a with / without shot:

[​IMG]

I find them quite comfortable either way, with a slight edge for using the extenders.

[​IMG]

One has a detachable clip-on cup holder, which would almost be enough to make me start drinking beer again . . . almost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a nice, heavy-duty bag for each chair, as well as a separate bag for each set of leg extensions.

[​IMG]

While it is true that the Kermit Chair, collapsed and in the carry bag at about 22" overall length, is too long to fit inside a Krauser bag, this Wolfman dry bag will easily swallow them. Here it is with two Kermit Chairs, a Marmot Tungsten 3P Tent, a sleeping bag, and a self-inflating air mattress all inside the bag. It only takes a couple minutes to remove the seat grab rail and add the Reynolds Tour Rest in its place. With a couple Rok Straps, the bag should ride O.K. there.

[​IMG]

. . . and still leave room for me:

[​IMG]

I'll be putting the Krauser bags on to carry clothes, tools, and misc. They look a little better now that I have gone back to stock exhaust.

Finally, the long-time friend who gave me the Wolfman bag for next to nothing (a couple years ago) has also come through with this Olympia mesh riding jacket with a separate over-jacket for rain protection.

[​IMG]

It's a little big on me, but not by much. He has been working out at the gym almost constantly and says his arms and shoulders are getting a little tight in this jacket. I always used to wonder how he could stand to ride all bundled up in this thing on a hot day. Then the first time I tried it, I understood. It feels like it is air conditioned. Really. I wouldn't have believed it. Plus, it has body armor and is Hi-Vis! I am inching closer to ATGATT all the time.

Two Airheads, tent and camping gear, Kermit Chairs, body armor, Hi-Vis, MOA, ABC, I guess I have drunk the BMW Kool-Aid!
    Cogswell, Texer, Jim K in PA and 6 others like this.
  17. Manks

Manks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ray, now that you have all the required camping gear, you should consider coming down to the Three State Mountain Ride, and British in the Blue Ridge, and race Sundays at Two Wheels of Suches. None of these require camping gear, but any excuse is better than none! And Beemers are welcome at all of them.
    Marlin
  18. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ray was that your bike parked in front of the Starbucks yesterday?
  19. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Marlin. I've been reading about those gatherings for years on Britbike.com -- I would like to meet some of those characters.

BTW, Frau Blücher is looking great. I love that picture with your dog in the hack.
    Ody, if you ever see my bike parked in front of a Starbucks, call the cops -- it's been stolen. To be honest, I'm not even sure where the nearest Starbucks is located around here.
    bpeckm likes this.
  20. junkcollector

junkcollector Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for making my day with a little humor. You will enjoy those chairs. I was going to call you today to see if you needed any last minute gear but I think you have it covered now.