1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

My Barn Twins

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by fxray, Feb 26, 2015.

1. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a presumption, but he is generous to a fault. We've talked this over, and I think he would be OK with me passing the scooter on to a friend who would fix it up. I know a couple of guys who are into the antique Whizzers, electric bicycles, and things of that sort. This would be right up their alley. My problem is that I'm a sucker for old two-wheelers, and now this thing has caught my interest. At least there is an "out" if I come to my senses.

Very perceptive of you to ask about the title. The answer is, of course not! :lol3
    You have read my mind!
    Cogswell and Jim K in PA like this.
  2. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    That looks fabulous. It's at least worth it's weight in watermelon!
    dcoop and fxray like this.
  3. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should be working on my Havana Gold R90/6, but the Honda SL350 K0 is in front of it and has been getting most of my attention lately. A few days ago, the R90 had freshly painted Honda parts on wire hooks dangling from its turn signal stems, cables, and whatever else was handy while the paint dried on them. I know that's a little sacrilegious, but it was just for overnight.

Two items for the Honda basket case that I did not find in any of the tote tubs were the left and right air boxes. A lot of people run pods on these little bikes, but they seem to fight forever to get them to run right. I found a NOS RH box for about $100 that looked nice, but that was a little rich for my blood. Checking just now, I see that it has sold already! I opted for a pair that were way cheaper, getting each from a different eBay seller. These will just need some blasting and painting.

The LH one showed up today already, so the seller was quick to ship, had a good price, and packaged it well. Here's what they look like:

[​IMG]

The mounting tab and the rubber snorkel are actually part of the air filter itself, which you can see by flipping the assembly over:

[​IMG]

It was nice of the guy to leave the filter in there, especially since he paid for the shipping. A lot of people rebuild the old filter by cutting or burning off the filter media and then gluing in some foam in its place. Also it is nice to have the original clamp. I think I will opt for new OEM filters since they are still available for this 51 year old machine. This filter looks well used:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pulling the filter out of the air box, something caught my eye. There was a multi-unit housing complex inside there that had survived the ride all the way from Colorado to Illinois:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nest extends down to where the air comes into the box, making a nice front entryway for the little beasties:

[​IMG]

So, I thought everybody called it fleaBay. It looks to me like the fleas are growing wings and stingers! I'm tempted to leave the nest in there to see if it would make a sound like a pipe organ in a church once the engine is sucking air through there, but I doubt if that would work for long. :lol3
    Cogswell and korinthias like this.
  4. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Those little turds will make a home anywhere! The 450 I bought has mud daubers as well as wasps that have made homes in it. The mice used the seat and air filters for home insulation and food storage as well. Yup, that's the problem with barn finds, actually, field finds.
  5. Arktasian

Arktasian It a funny, whistling sound- Aunt Bethany

Oddometer:
    I vote to leave the nest in place there. It will really help your bike "Hum" along nicely.
  6. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Mmmm, might make it feel a bit "buzzy" . . . :fpalm
  7. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Careful Jim, with this line of humor, we're sure to be told to "Bug" out.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  8. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    is that air box from a Vespa?
  9. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being a breaker with bikes stored long-term outdoors would have its hazards for sure.

Stinging good comments!

No, that is from a CL350 Honda. I am actually working on a first year 1970 SL350, but since those are more rare, people tend to price gouge when selling parts. The 1971 CL350 model used the same part number air box and was priced a lot more reasonably. Often these are available due to the "Cafe Racer" mania where people like to toss the stock air boxes, detab the frames, and increase the value of the remaining unmolested bikes. I understand the confusion though, since I have been bouncing around a lot in this old thread. The last section was about a Sears Puch scooter. I will eventually get back to my airheads.
    Cogswell likes this.
  10. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vespa, from the italian for Wasp.

Sorry the joke fell flat. I'll show myself out...
    maydaymike and Jim K in PA like this.
  11. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Arrgh! That went right over my head! I don't know enough about scooters (or Italian).
    BJMoose likes this.
  12. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    Obviously, Vespas fly at a very high altitude.
    BJMoose and fxray like this.
  13. Arktasian

Oddometer:
    OK - burning question on those little Vespas, being Italian and all do they fly in reverse?
    :augie

Now its fallen flat on its face
  14. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    No, but a Messerschmitt does! Three speeds forward and three speeds reverse.
    Arktasian likes this.
  15. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been right at four years and 20,000 miles since I got my '74 R90/6 back on the road. It's been mostly smooth sailing, but I've suffered from one typical problem that the old airheads have -- the loosening centerstand bolts. I believe it was Pokie who once said that BMW should have used a LH threaded bolt on the RH side of the bike. Most airheads are likely running around with that bolt loose. The action of lifting it onto the stand tends to loosen the bolt.

Back in October, 2019, the bike felt strange going onto the centerstand. Both bolts were backed off and one would have been gone if not for resting against the exhaust pipe. I should have done something then, but I used some blue Loctite and put it back together. I started routinely snugging the C/stand bolts every time I checked the air in the tires.

Last year, the bolt came out and jammed against the exhaust pipe. I had to remove the entire exhaust system so that I could chase the threads and install new bolts.

Fast forward to last month, I went to snug the bolts and pulled the threads out of one of the mounting tabs.

The right fix is this kit, and I'll buy one next time. For this go-round, I drilled the tabs with a 25/64 bit, and tapped new threads to accept 7/16-20NF bolts (grade 8 from Ace Hardware, with blue Loctite and 40 lb-ft torque). This works just fine, but the drawback is the time I spent enlarging the center holes of the stock bushings to accept the larger bolts. They only need to be opened up about .045", but they are as hard as glass! I got 'er done, but the kit would have been easier. The whole exhaust system had to come off again to do the drill and tap routine. At least this keeps the copper anti-seize freshened up at the heads.

While the bike was on the lift, I checked the valves and put in new spark plugs. I started feeling guilty that I had not peeked under the fuel tank in four years to see how the master cylinder was getting along. I also read (maybe from Matt Parkhouse and/or SnowBum) that you should empty the tank at least about once a year to get rid of any water that may have collected at the bottom of the tank. So, I went for it.

I know about the old trick of putting a washer on the fuel lines to make them pull off the petcocks more easily. I find it easier to just unscrew the bottom nuts and separate them there. I found no water, no rust, no corruption, and the screens in the top ends of the fuel lines were still like new. I did not disturb the rest of the petcock, so I suppose there could be some dirt trapped in there? My POR-15 is holding up nicely, so I doubt it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had a little dust under the tank, but still looked pretty good to me. The cap on the bleeder kept things clean down there at the caliper:

[​IMG]

The old fluid had a nice amber glow to it:

[​IMG]

I interrupted the service work to ride it another couple hundred miles, and now it's back on the table to change the engine and drive-line fluids. It was during this little run that my ancient flip phone escaped through an open seam in an ancient tee-shirt pocket. The fun never stops!

Now to leave you with a question. What's up with these gen-yoo-wine oil filters made in Austria and ordered through a BMW Dealer? They go in looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But they come back out, looking like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are you supposed to cut the seals to half-length before installation? There's nothing jammed in there on the other end:

[​IMG]

Anybody else seen this?

Ray
    dcoop and Jim K in PA like this.
  16. MonzaCross

MonzaCross When life throws you a curve, lean into it

Oddometer:
    Always good to read about your exploits. I had found the same issue on the last filter I changed. Same split rubber o ring situation. I worried a bit and inspected and found nothing on the bike obviously wrong. I have no answer but letting you know you are not alone. That said I didn't turn the cap down quite as tight so I'll see next time if that helped.
    fxray likes this.
  17. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Those filters may be for the oil cooler model, those are longer than motors without the oil coolers.
  18. fxray

fxray Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^Well, not unless they got put in the wrong box:

[​IMG]

Maybe it's like MonzaCross said, I may have been overtightening the inside cover bolt. There is an error in the Clymer Manual that has probably ruined some airhead engines in the past. They call out 30 lb-ft for that bolt. If anybody did that, I think it would destroy the crankcase. I think we have discussed that on here before. I have been tightening it by feel, but maybe it should only be tight enough to lightly compress the seal?
    MonzaCross likes this.
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Manuals are a big help but even they get things wrong sometimes.