My big ride - A Kiwified Dutchman heading South from LA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Normlas, Sep 9, 2017.

1. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you
    Normlas likes this.
  2. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arjan, what a great report. Will definitely miss this one for sure. This is one of the reports that one would always be excited to see updates on. I know it is tremendous work to star a report no less to continue it. Thank you my friend for doing it. I wish you the best of luck back home. Thank you so much for sharing this epic journey with us.
    Normlas likes this.
  3. Tijuana_Taxi

Tijuana_Taxi Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for this ride report! Safe travels and I hope you continue to update a few more times on the adjustment to being back home. Thanks again, my favorite ride report by far!!
    Normlas likes this.
  4. etboy

etboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks indeed for that Kiwi! A POM here in San Diego. I plan on following in your footsteps - Tire tracks? - on my 2003 KLR. Great to hear your endorsement of our beast of choice. Great ride report. A lot of VERY useful information, told in that inimical Kiwi manner. Long may you run Brother! Cheers Mate!
    Normlas likes this.
  5. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride, Arjan. It was great following you and getting a real taste of the different locales.
    As one journey ends, another begins. Ride safe, have fun, be cool.

And quit the cigs. Them things are bad for ya!
    Normlas and MrKiwi like this.
  6. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo SONS OF ARTHRITIS - IBUPROFEN CHAPTER

Oddometer:

...told in that inimical Kiwi manner.
    I had to look up inimical. Wow.

inimical
    /ɪˈnɪmɪk(ə)l/
    adjective
    adjective: inimical
    tending to obstruct or harm.
    "the policy was inimical to Britain's real interests"
    synonyms: harmful, injurious, detrimental, deleterious, pernicious, damaging, hurtful, dangerous, destructive, ruinous, calamitous;
    antagonistic, contrary, antipathetic, unfavourable, adverse, opposed, hostile, at odds, not conducive, prejudicial;
    literarymalefic, maleficent
    "party politics are inimical to genuine democracy"
    antonyms: helpful, advantageous
    unfriendly; hostile.
    "an inimical alien power"
    synonyms: hostile, unfriendly, antagonistic, ill-disposed, unkind, unsympathetic, malevolent, malign;
    inhospitable, unwelcoming, cold, icy, frosty, glacial
    "he fixed her with an inimical gaze"

Wow.
    Normlas likes this.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I think he meant inimitable.
    Normlas and Bacchusman like this.
  8. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great finish Arjan. Just wondering if you got that job you interviewed for while on the road...or what are you going to do now. John
    Normlas likes this.
  9. Normlas

Normlas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks guys. I had to look up both of those and do prefer inimitable ! No I didn't get that job, and for the best really, it was science but 90% was of the bit I don't like - bureaucracy and bean counting....
    Still not sure what I'm going to do, something different....

I also just realised that I left a couple of people off that list above of the people I had traveled with, I forgot to give thanks to Rolf, with whom I rode heaps of Chile and Argentina and rode to the end of the world with! He's still heading North and is in Central Mexico right now. And although I only rode with them for a couple of days I did do a fair bit of hanging around and partying with RTWPaul (@rtwpaul ) and Egle ( @EvergreenE ) in Mexico City and Taxco - fun times!!!

And now onto the re-integration......

[​IMG]

This is me packed and ready to leave Vicente and Gonzalo's apartment.

The flight was unusually comfortable for a cattle class seat, mostly due to my very well timed and well dosed Bolivian pharmacy, they had to wake me for breakfast - as good as it can be really!

Arriving in a grey and cool Auckland, in the middle of Autumn at 5:30 AM was a little trippy to say the least. But great to catch up with Lisa and of course my little ginger friend Mousey whom quickly resumed his old favourite spot.

[​IMG]

First priority was to get mobile, my bike here is also a well farkled 2008 KLR, has been parked up for two years. I had the battery out so I charged that and re-installed it, drained all the gas and added fresh gas, gave her a quick clean and oil/grease and put the South American top box on, then I gave her a crank.

To be fair I had given her a few cranks to fill the carburetor before this..... but great all the same. Then I shoot down to the garage for a warrant of fitness (WOF), required here yearly for any vehicle on the road. Had three small temptation to ride on the right and scared my self on one of those, must pay more attention to the arrow on my windscreen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fail the WOF on my rear tyre and get a new Mitas E-07 installed right next door - this was the tyre I was most impressed with on my ride, it went almost 20,000 kms!! whilst some only did about 8000 kms - like the Pirelli's

[​IMG]

New shoes and a shiny new WOF sticker.

Then the car needed a new alternator, rear brake pads and a tyre for it's WOF. Got both vehicles registered (also required here and costs over $600 per year for a bike, about $140 for a car !!) .
    Got both insured and I am mobile, but still sufferer from a head cold and crazy jetlag. Needless to say i am hemorrhaging money at the mo.

So it's been a weird but also really nice week, catching up with my family and we had a wee welcome home drinkies - night with the boys on Saturday and huge fun was had!

My to-do list is ridiculous and I am just getting through it one day at a time right now, plenty to keep me out of trouble for a good while.

It's still very strange to be home.......