My bike has 12 buttons on the handlebars... or, Are we ruining motorcycling?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by canoeguy, Aug 11, 2018.

1. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :photog
    Troglodyte. Pfft. How dare you Sir. That is almost as much of an insult as accusing me of growing up!
    I just tend to think along the lines of certain groups that believe that technology should frozen at the level of their particular choosing. Anything beyond that is a sin. :lol3
  2. Not Dave

Not Dave I smell bacon

Oddometer:
    To soley reply to the OP: amen.

I don't have decades of riding experience on dozens of bikes. My 3rd bike is an '07 DR650 and it's my favorite. I won't ride more than 200 miles per day on it, don't like riding over 55 mph. But it's simple-fun. Really enjoyable to ride.

I have an '08 BMW with 150 HP, cruise control, adjustable suspension, etc and it eats miles like crazy but it's just not as fun as the carbuereted thumper with the only electronics being the ignition and lights. Well it has a horn too. I've done a SS1000 on the Beemer and ridden it to Alabama and back. It's been a good ride and is somewhat simple compared to a decade newer.

It's going to be the most difficult letting the carb'ed thumper go. I'm a simpleton too.
    mitchxout likes this.
  3. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The old days and old bikes were not great.

No, I'm being polite - they were shit.

We are in a golden age of motorcycles.
    scottdc and jdfog2 like this.
  4. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    I rode a 10 year old Speed Triple the other day. Great engine, crap everything else.
  5. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    12buttons on the bars?!
    It is simply the marketing departments of the manufacturers that tell us we need shit. We don't.
    People aspire to new shit. They don't need it, unless they wear it out (likely 100-300,000km dependant on the model of bike).

Lust over a bike, buy it, and then go wear it out!
    mitchxout likes this.
  6. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Indeed! R E A L motorcyclists don't need no stinkin' cruise control...

I ripped it out of the last 5 bikes I have owned!
  7. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    We are. And yet...
    [​IMG]
    This horrible antique puts the biggest smile on my face.
    Oh, it's only fun for about an hour and you don't want to stray too far from home on it but it's an experience every time I throw a leg over it.
    My Triumph Tiger 800 does every ride with smooth finesse, provides me with comfort and easy speed but it's more 'piloting' than 'riding'.
    My Bonneville falls somewhere in between these two.
    A day on the Triumphs is "That was a good day".
    An hour on the Enfield is "That was FUN!"
    They all have their purpose. Depends on what it is you truly desire from motorcycling. Best if you can have several flavors to choose from like I do, then the buttons and distractions are less worrisome (as are the parts falling off or fluids leaking from the older stuff).
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  8. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    As plenty have said-Golden Age of bikes.
    I vote with my checkbook. Not for 12 buttons. Great to have a choice.
  9. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding every day, year-round, everywhere in all weather conditions I'm very happy to have high tech bikes with the latest safety features and lighting that actually works at night. I've had more than a few vintage and classic rides but I will always have a modern, high-tech bike for my daily. Motorcycling has never been better than it is right now.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yup.

Triumph does this on a goodly number of bikes (my 675 was the same way) basically if the main headlights present an open to the system, you can't close the main relay. Bike is a brick.

I found that out the hard way pulling the fuse to take the lights off for the track. Guess which bike got its relays rewired that afternoon.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I like all of my buttons, I am a professional button masher.

I like that my touring rig I can set the throttle response, suspension behavior, and preload levels at the press of a button. No screwdrivers or wrenches, no slowing down, select mode and go, all with my personal settings and preferences. Starts to rain, next mode down, throttle response damped a bit, softer more compliant suspension, ABS and TC turned way up.....I have to try to crash it. Road turns to gravel or otherwise covered in crap, welp got a mode for that as well.

Anyone that says these things are harder to tune....is nuts. Four carbs that you need to keep in sync, balancing bowl level, off of pilot size off of needle depth....and oh by the way you have to run it all the way up to temp to see if you were right on the last adjustment, and then burn the piss out of yourself taking apart a bike with a head that is now 400 degrees.

Much prefer just plugging in my laptop

Tuning? Just set the AFR where you want it and go for a spin, TB balancing, I had a bike that you didn't need to take the tank off to check, you could get a read out of what the MAF sensors were seeing, no futzing around with making a rig to run the motorcycle with the tank on the table next to you while you read the manometer.

Everything is more accurate, consistent and predictable, i.e. I don't need to pull a bike apart to read my sparkplugs anymore. Plug in my laptop and read the O2 sensors they will tell me what they are seeing.
    otto, Traxx, Matt-J2 and 2 others like this.
  12. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    I chose a DR650 for my first bike largely for the reason of simplicity, and I absolutely love it. I also can't wait for the day I get to park a Zero next to it. I like options!
  13. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Two thoughts:
    1) The new Goldwing from the last couple years has dozens fewer buttons than the outgoing model it's replaced, and is also smaller and lighter than the previous two generations. Tech in touring bikes seems to be shifting this way, gradually.

2) You can absolutely still buy bikes with no luxuries besides EFI and an LCD dashboard. My CRF Rally doesn't even have ABS! It's pretty much all I need (though on some of my longer days on the road, I do find myself craving a 500X for just that tiniest bit more oomph)
  14. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    i like some of the new tech, but it's gotten too far.
    Disk brakes, ABS - great. Don't ever want to go back to drum brakes.
    electric starter - awesome. Do I really want to struggle with a kick starter ?
    but cruise control ? gear position indicator ? changing suspension settings while riding ? how much of this is necessary ?

I barely even use the horn. My f7gs does not have a computer, no gear position, no ESA - just bare bones. I love it. Rekluse ? Hell yeah !!
    For 6 months in a year, I have hippo hands on the bars - can't see any switches. I'd rather be able to feel the few I need.
  15. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cruise control is nothing to get on your soap box about. Nowadays most bikes are ride by wire so cc is just a button and some software. Oh and if you haven’t tried it, it’s awesome. :clap
    otto, Traxx and Gone Troppo like this.
  16. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I can see the attraction of much of the more advanced stuff, I dont feel that the older bikes I had were shit by any means. Perhaps Im simple, or easy to please, or perhaps not everyone has the same reasons they ride and goals in riding. The newest, fastest, "best", whatever, never was an attraction to me in any aspect of life that comes to mind. Does what I want it to and I like it has higher value.

Id love to have my old 1947 bike back. It wasnt the fastest, but it was the most fun and most interesting to build and ride. I would put better brakes on it if I had it today though. I about balked at the idea of the 1984, but realized I needed electric start now, and the really interesting bikes from the 30s, 40s or 50s were out of my budget.

Edit: The cruise control idea is interesting. The modern ones no doubt probably actively work to maintain speed like cruise on cars do, but all the older H-Ds Ive had had a throttle tension screw, I kept mine so it was easy to move but I could take my hands off the bars and it would maintain speed on the road, or use my right hand for something (pulled my 4" crescent out of my pocket once and snugged down the dash cover bolt while riding). Changing lanes with your hands as air vanes is sort of fun.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  17. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Every single one.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man That which doesn't kill you...disappoints me.

Oddometer:
    They're pleasant conveniences, and I say this as someone who has only ever had a gear position indicator [on one motorcycle, no longer owned.] Cruise control and electronic suspension seem nice enough, but I've managed well enough without them. Necessity is in the wallet of the beholder.

What I'd like to see on new motorcycles, much more frequently than is currently evident, are adjustable ergos and heated grips. Neither feature is expensive to engineer and/or install. Both are arguably necessary in a manner that niceties like cruise control couldn't manage to duplicate.
  19. Gone Troppo

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Ergos need to be much more flexible...
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Go count the buttons on the previous generations of Goldwings.

Hint: you need 5 people with out shoes and all their fingers and maybe they have to drop their pants for the last few.