My bike has 12 buttons on the handlebars... or, Are we ruining motorcycling?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by canoeguy, Aug 11, 2018.

1. El Gallo

El Gallo Why do my neighbors hate me?

Oddometer:
    Des Moines: French for "The Moines," Iowa
    Get an older bike or turn it off. :dunno

I have a newer bike with traction control and ABS and a dead solid older bike with ABS (but both with EFI, dual disk brakes, no suspension or windscreen doodads - other than a knob and screws), and I can't decide which one I want to keep. I've wrenched through the older one to learn about its wear and weak points, but I also love the reliability of a new machine.

I feel like it's a choice we are lucky to have.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  2. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I said in the original post I have older bikes already And yes I plan on getting another thumper very soon(besides my little Spade 150) for you guys saying just get an older bike.

It is the collective we I am referring to. I fear the DR, KLR, and XR are endangered. But then I see a bike like the Himalayan and have a faint hope.

The thing is all bikes are shifting to more and more. Even the Triumph New Bonneville got lots more buttons. I liked that bike as a good combo of reliability and simplicity.

I agree there are some things that are or can be a big benefit. Such as ABS and fuel injection. But again we have gone so far beyond that. I'm still not sure what all my GSA is capable of. I keep waiting for my blood pressure and pulse to pop up.
    shinyribs likes this.
  3. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 buttons or 20. My main concern is the clutch and throttle.

Oh yea, and the starter button.

"Buttons?" "Where we're going we don't need buttons"
  4. WindBlast

WindBlast Three chords and the truth.....

Oddometer:
    I remember riding my 94 CB1000 Honda on a tour of CA, AZ, NM and up over 10000 ft elevation my carbed 100hp bike had about 15. Give me FI, electronic ignition (I remember points), and ABS. My new BMW has the shift assist (which is the most awesome invention ever), cruise control, adjustable suspension, lap timer, 4 riding modes that work, and a whole bunch of stuff I don't even know how to set up yet. I love it! I still dig my DRZ400S too but I don't tour much on it anymore. Different tools for different jobs. You can have the best of both worlds.
  5. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    You think that's bad?

I just saw a sneak preview of the control panel for the new Goldwing:

Virtual-tour-of-a-B36-cockpit.jpg
  6. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    I have an RT. I have a KLR. They each have their appropriate place.

Since I got the RT, I'm putting on a lot more miles.
  7. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I sincerely think we've lost the original concept of motorcycling.

What we've devolved into is luxury cars on two wheels. :(

I look for simplicity in motorcycling, the less gadgets and gizmos the better, and I'd prefer to ride the bike without relying upon artificial aid(s).

A have two cars and a home-ful of stuff for enjoying all the latest and greatest modern Technology, I like riding to be simplified, and basic. YMMV of course, but you asked!
    darmahman, CCitis, canuck 1 and 4 others like this.
  8. Billy52

Billy52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CCitis and O.C.F.RIDER like this.
  9. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my DR650. So simple, reliable, and versatile.
    kojack06, darmahman, sperz1 and 2 others like this.
  10. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Before folks try to take me to task (! :eekers), obviously I enjoy the benefits of Fuel Injection, and Electric start. Although my '07 Triumph still has Carbs, they perform just fine after a rejet many years ago. My '11 Road King is another example of a low tech bike, although it does have keyless ignition - not a big deal, throttle by wire - no big deal, and Cruise Control - which I DO like, the Triumph has the aftermarket black plastic thing you hold down with your palm.

So, I guess it means I don't care for modern technology, unless it suits me personally... right? :lol3
    Bar None and portalespeanut like this.
  11. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    91 Suzuki VX800

Left bar
    Horn
    Hi/love
    Turn

Right bar
    Kill
    Start

I rode about 640 miles over the weekend...from 1200' to over 6100' yesterday, the carbs were fine.

My wife thinks I should get a newer bike....

I'm in no hurry, but I do like the new Triumphs.
    shinyribs likes this.
  12. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 1977 I and 3 others took our Z1s on a 15k mile ride around the country. Only problem we had was a condenser went bad. Replaced it with a spare we had. I don't care for all the new gadgets, but like a some of them, especially on street bikes. What I don't understand is the adventure bikes having all the electronics. If you take them in the boonies and something goes wrong, you're screwed. So far nothing's gone wrong on my 990, but I hear about many that do with a long wait for parts and high expense.
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Everybody is going for these fancy new bikes will all the bells, whistles and 'puters.

Good for them. I think it makes it a lot easier for the cheapstakes to own and run affordable bikes.

If you like KLR's and Dr's well your likelyhood of finding a well sorted cheap example is high.

I just bought a neglected KLR for 100$ Hoping to have a good runner for 500$

Times are good for those who like simpler things.

For everybodyelse, well there is .09% financing on 30,000$ motorcycles :)
    shinyribs likes this.
  14. Johann

Johann Long timer

Oddometer:
    That´s just for the stereo.
    kojack06 likes this.
  15. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap! That isn't cheap its practically highway robbery! Good score!
  16. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    QFT. Can EFI fail? Sure. So can carbs. And lord knows I've had far more technical trouble with carbs-- finicky and fouled and flooded-- in my riding life than I have *ever* had with EFI (None. I've had none technical trouble with EFI. Maybe I'm due, but even if my fuel injection craps out tomorrow and I'm left by the side of the road, I'm still ahead like ten to one).

Good riddance, I say.
    Bucho and OrangeYZ like this.
  17. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think EFI is very reliable and certainly more dependable than a carb overall. However, which can be fixed on the road? A gasket can be made, a jet cleaned out. Even if it cant be brought back to 100% without a rebuild it can almost always be made to limp along. How about a bad injector or all the other parts associated with fuel injection. I sure cant fix that on the side of the road. While I think the odds of a fuel injector giving up the ghost are rare, it's not unheard of. I am particularly aware of this from having multiple fuel injection issues on work trucks, not exactly apples to apples but not far off either.

I don't think I would disqualify a fuel injected bike from being reliable or round-the-world road worthy but I do accept that even though the chances are remote it could be an issue. especially when coupled with questionable fuel and conditions.
  18. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Go get a DR and be happy! I've actually added 2 buttons (heated grips) and one switch (headlight toggle) to mine. It's got almost 15k miles on it now, would be closer to 25k if I hadn't had 2 more modern, higher tech bikes along the way. I've since sold both of them. Simple is the way to go.
    kojack06 and no like this.
  19. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no such thing as a no-risk option. Like everything else in life, you weigh the likelihood of a problem along with the severity of the consequences. For an RTW bike, I guess I could see the argument for field servicability, especially given uneven fuel quality... and assuming you have the parts, tools and skills. But take that extreme use case off the table, and I just can't see the case for carbs. I've never heard of a motorcycle EFI failure. Like, ever. Even on bitchy forums.
    daveinva likes this.
  20. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well you just heard of one, now. My K75, which didn't like ethanol in the gasoline, crapped out on me when the fuel injectors got full of melted rubber from the inside of the tank. It took me a few days to figure it out.