1. eNewsletter Sign Up

My Bike se Jou Bike Se Moer

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by ButchH, May 31, 2009.

1. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]">

I know I have submitted threads trying to coax people to own up to owning Honda’s especially the old ones. Come on guys. This is the First of my XR500RE rebuilds. This one will now be striped down again to receive a new coat of paint. I assembled her to make sure every thing worked OK. Unfortunately she aint standard ,re-bored to second oversize. Like sitting on a rodeo bull in a bowl of jelly and can do 130 KM hr before I mess myself. Are there any people on this forum going up to Clarence for the VMX meet in September?
  2. fatalerror

fatalerror skrik vir niks

Oddometer:
    South West Florida, USA [formerly, South Africa]
    "sê" nie "se" nie :fyyff

hey, het jy all die pad midmar toe gery daar deur imbali?
  3. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fatal no I haven’t ridden to Midmar via Imbali. Sounds interesting as these two are on completely opposite sides with PMB in the middle, What are you riding?
  4. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what you selling?:D
  5. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    edgy I didn’t know they allowed Motorbikes in Gtown. Last time I was there they were still waiting for the first Model T to arrive.:lol3 Seriously though my grandparents farmed out in the Breakfast Vlei area .Some cool roads to be cruised in that area
  6. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    i am picking up an XL500 this weekend. was offered one for free by a mate of mine so will go to suss it out and see if its worthwhile (even if free)
  7. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gruebane if you don’t take it pass it along will ya! Do you know your Vespa is worth a fortune
  8. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI butch ,nice old xr,had one for a year but kicked my gat off to start it,tried various changes/adjustments,but when going it went it was wow,had a tt600 for years ,started easy and went like a bomb.Would love to get back into it again, just got to get right bike again, got a 82 bmw r100rs touring bike that were hoping to sell then we can do some of these fantastic cape town back roads again.
  9. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sonnyboy despite all the advances in motorbike technology I still enjoy the old XR and XT’s.The kicking may have been a stator issue those coils are temperamental. You should have held on to that TT. With every one participating in VMX the old bikes are becoming hard to find. The XR pictured is one of the two RE’s I’m rebuilding. I also have a XL500R the first model to come out with the Prolink suspension. Loads of XR and XT available in the Cape. If you visit Gumtree you should find a few.
  10. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    To be honest my old legs dont like kicking bikes anymore ...but will suss it all out.

Sold my vespa and donated the money to childrens cancer charities , was not using the vespa and felt it was a worthwhile cause.

Must update my profile here to reflect...

will post pics once i get the XL in my garage. i think its been abused a bit but we see.
  11. fatalerror

fatalerror skrik vir niks

Oddometer:
    South West Florida, USA [formerly, South Africa]
    At the time I was riding a Yamaha IT465. We took the fire roads all the way to Midmar, but it was probably more in the direction of Sweetwaters from the Ashdown side.

Lekker ride...
  12. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Fatal.Yup done that ride loads of fun.465 I had one of those soiled myself every time I rode the damn thing:eek1
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just love the fat powerband of a big 2 stroke and the smell of 2 stroke oil is still fantastic.I think they were better for flatout sand/desert type areas, even now still thinking of bike sa desert run,went there in 97 and 00,you always get a old big 2 stoke luny showing the older 4 strokes how it should be done.I had a PE 250 and a couple of other smaller ring dings, they were cheap to have as well,you could fit new piston and rings for the price of a case of beer nowadays.Is parts scarce on 80's 2 stokes.We still see the odd kx500 or cr 480 for sale here in slaapstad ,got to sell bmw picked up on xt600tenere on the westcoast[gumtree]they rate as one of my best,maybe check with goverment if the bond wont lend the $$ for now till other bike's sold
  14. Tuareg

Tuareg n00b

Oddometer:
    Mbali is a settlement just south of Midmar
    :topes
    Mbali is Zulu for flower, so there's a few around KZN
  15. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aw man you guys Mphopomenie is just south of Midmar .Mbali is just outside Edendale wich is east of PMB .Go buy a map.
  16. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Butchman,went out to westcoast today and got the tenere,she's a looker,the guy looked after her well,just the engine side cases are sprayed red like the frame ,not sure if i like it but anyway,now just some good weather and we're riding[stuff the weather anyway]
  17. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool those tenere's rock . I bought a 1983 KTM for my next restoration project.I'v no eperience with KTM's but respect the Austrians interesting bike.Collecting the frame and suspension for the second 500re on Monday. Going to be a hell of a job going to work next week. Maybe we should start a thread for Restoration projects. Post some pics of that there Tenere.
  18. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Which KTM?
  19. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welshman it is the 250 the one with drum brake on the front. I believe the front brake was either disk or drum in the same year??
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Battling to load picture,shows that's loading but sort of hangs there,will get in on eventually.Just a question,found the wilddogs site last night and found it very interesting[first timer] is ther a reason for chatting etc here rather than there,advr is very good with stunning stories and pics.