1. eNewsletter Sign Up

My Bike se Jou Bike Se Moer

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by ButchH, May 31, 2009.

1. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sonnyboy yup tried wild dogs they are supposed to revert with an activation email. I’m still waiting for that email. Their admin section think they are doing you a favour as I found out when I contacted them to find out if they would send the activation email. Any way this forum is probably the best I have come across .Have you seen the ride reports man some of that stuff is mind blowing.
  2. Blazes

Blazes n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep decided to sell my XR 650 R --Think i am going to miss Her But maybe the Husky 450 TE and the Dakar will help me to forget her with the Happy buttons they have.

She is a beaut.

[​IMG]
  3. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blazes ,that XR is but stunning,you must put a picture of the TE on aswell.These new bikes are wow in looks and performance,personally i like the older bangers,just something about them.The guy that i got the tenere from has got the new xt 660,nice ,stupid exhaust under engine, very hard seat,but fast.Very suprised with weight,off side stand it feels as heavy if not more than tenere.Would hate to see if after a sliding visit to mother earth.BUTCH hows the other XR frame and engine and KTM 250 stripping etc going,love to see what youre up to?Sort of maritzbura county scrambler build off.How's the story on the guy from stellenbosch travelling up to egypt and getting locked up[wilddogs]Pretty good read i thought.:freaky
  4. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blazes yup it will take two bikes for you to get over the 650.Post pics of the two please. Sonnyboy the rebuilds have hit the waiting for spares bit. Ill post photos tomorrow.KTM says they can find 95% of all the spares you will need. I bet all the spares I need are in that 5%.:huh The KTM fits in an apple box now except the wheels. Ha! That chap from Stellenbosch was probably carrying too much Tassies :1drink
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Butch,is the KTM that old,from what i've heard they have plenty spares avail, but expensive,but i know what you mean.Do you plan to restore to original?It is nice to have it original but sometimes just not worth the bucks,ive manage to blow the budget a few times just for the sake of original .Manage to break sidestand of tenere while securing on one of our trucks,it has been welded b4.Anyway goodluck.Going to to meiringspoort and "die hel" this weekend but not for riding ,just a business thing.Never been there b4 but from all pics and stories i believe its to do.:D
  6. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As original as possible. Ill probably replace the plastics with fibreglass. Your side stand issue I replaced my side stands with KX side stands they work on all the bikes. De Hell is apparently a good place to ride.If you want a origional side stand pm me your address and Ill send you one.You will have to weld a new foot on it.
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI BUTCHMAN, thanks' but had the sidestand sorted out at work today,did the roadworthy,all sorted out.Come after work, i've now done about 15ks on the bike and all's gone well, now for 45ks home trip from ct to s/west.Goes like a bom nice 120 @ 4000rpm, just around the cnr from my place at a robot motor stalls,kick my dick off,took about 20min to start again, penny for your thoughts.Worse still get home see rightside engine splattered with oil,the r/h side engine casing just above the k/start was cracked b4 prattley p repaired and crack now oppened again.The crack runs for about 4 to 5 inches to end of casing, should i just repair same way again,would hate to know what that part will cost.I'f i start it now you can actually feel the pressure of the fine like oil mist spraying out there,BLIKSEM MAN.Not to worried about that,[i can fix]but the cutting out and not starting [if carb or else] i prefer to keep these fat fingers on outside .No comment on flippin SHARKS tonight,put 50bucks on after the cheetahs nearly won and see what happened....
  8. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sonnyboy Pull that spark plug and check if it is badly oiled sounds like you may have a compression problem. You shouldn’t be building up enough pressure in the motor to “blow” oil out. Post a pic of that crack. Pratley’s isn’t going to last long especially if there is oil involved. Oil is a good release agent so the putty will eventually release from the casing. Shit sounds un cool some times hot motors can be a bitch to start. Try cold start in the morning and let us know how it goes
  9. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does a peanut attach a pic? Hi the compression must be good,no smoke at cold start or winding it when warm, and it wants a good thump to start.Got to get a plug spanner,do i make or buy one.Have forgotten how small that little crevice is.I've taken a pic of the crack, dono what i'm doing wrong but it wont attach.I think it's repairable, clean outside nice ,open little bit with pencil grindern and pratley it.The description of oil coming out is difficult,like a fine mist /spray about 5cm raduis as the gears are turning up the oil inside.PM email address if you dont mind i will send pics there,i know that works.ANY OTHER CLOWNS OUT THERE WITH IDEAS. Thanks again:huh
  10. ButchH

ButchH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay cool so it’s the gears splashing the oil out of the crack and it’s not blowing out. Some times when I have stalled a big single Iv has endless s***t re-starting. I some times can restart by holding the throttle wide open and risk a kick back .This works when it has flooded. Maybe you issue was as simple as that.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody out there that could maybe help or advise on finding a r/h side engine cover on 89 xt 600.I've tried from ct to jhb shops etc but no luck so far.New one available but at R4000 a bit steep .:cry
  12. Fudmucker

Fudmucker ex-lurker

Oddometer:
    :D
    My first bike was a Honda XL185 that I bought for R1000 cash.
    I used it to go to university because you could actually find parking.
    Lekker light bike to ride...!

At one point I stripped it down to respray the frame as the battery overflow had leaked acid. My Dad passed away suddenly, I inherited a going concern professional practice and my life changed...

I sold it some years later (licence still current) in boxes and bags for R100.

(I'd love to know if the guy who bought it actually put it back together or just moved the individual parts for a profit!)
    :wink: