MY BMW R 1100 Cafe project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by mr bones, Apr 13, 2020.

1. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been on the hunt for a project bike for a while now.
    My track riding days are up, My endure riding is done.
    I've just got my ATAS for touring on and off road.
    I picked up this 97 R 1100 RT a few weeks ago
    Day 1.jpg with the plan to café racer it. More so for the project then the riding which I have to keep reminding myself.
    So it's probably going to be a slow staged process from here on in. I've made easy progress till now. It was a clean tidy bike when I picked it up, First job was to strip it down End of day 1. .jpg
    Strip it right down
    20200404_132728.jpg
    I tagged all the electrics so I know what goes where. I'm not 100% sure where I'm going with this.
    A mate had a K100 tank at home so I grabbed it off him, We haven't chatted $$ yet which is a worry .
    K 100 Tank.jpg
    So that has given me a direction as far as shape goes.
    I wanted to scrap the ABS module and give myself my room to lower the tank but after chatting with a mate who's in the industry. It would cause a headache later with rego.
    So in 2 weeks I've stripped all the fairings off and got it pretty naked.
    All the stuff I've stripped off I'm selling if anybody In NSW AUS is interested message me.
    20200404_182848.jpg
    The K tank has the same pump & filter as the R tank but different plugs. So I've swapped the plug over yesterday and got it running of the K tank. I just need new longer fuel line as the tank's outlet is on the opposite to the bikes inlet.
    K with front bracket in place.jpg
    I made myself a basic bracket, templet if you will. Instead of cutting up some nice plate & hoping it's right. I'll probably do this most of the way as I'm not exactly skilled at this sort of stuff.
    K bracket.jpg
    The timber "Seat" is almost the exact size of the seat I'm looking at, so just trying to get an eyeball on the look of the thing.
    K with front bracket & set up seat.jpg
    So now It's onto rear tank brackets & rear sets. I have pulled the standard clocks out of there housing and am thinking of using them.
    20200404_160832.jpg
    It means making bracketry, but I've an idea to mount them and hang the headlight all of the same brackets. But that's getting ahead of myself really.
    Cheers
    Bones
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting.
    flinders_72, gofargogo and mr bones like this.
  3. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geez when you look at all those electronics etc under the fairing it really makes you yearn for the old days when all there was, was a rectifier, a couple of coils and a blinker relay although you also got bad brakes and handling.

I was going to also say weight but I'd argue that the old bikes were lighter.
  4. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Look forward to the build! Good luck...
    mr bones likes this.
  5. AtLarge

AtLarge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. :super
    mr bones likes this.
  6. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    That fuel tank under all the RT plastic is freaky HUGE!! Shows how much BMW hid the fuel capacity under the bulbous shapes. Surprised the K100 fuel tank even fits reasonably well over the frame head and ABS units on the RT. Good luck with the project.

If you plan to fab panels to blend the fuel tank onto the frame and cover all the "stuff" below, this may work. Years ago I made some shaped panels built up as an aluminum/fiberglass composite. I used perforated aluminum sheets from Home Depot which can be easily cut, bent, shaped by hand and could incorporate threaded riv-nut mounts. Then I taped one side of the panel with a good grade masking tape and fiberglassed the other side. After the curing was done I peeled off the tape and fiberglassed the other side. Result is a very strong lightweight custom formed composite panel. I haven't done it in the past, but the outer side of the panel could be gel-coated to produce a paintable surface.
    iatethepeach, mr bones and layzrider like this.
  7. mr bones

Oddometer:
    Not a lot going on. Got myself a fuel cap. 20200421_172326.jpg
  8. mr bones

Oddometer:
    Made some brackets.
    20200509_111355.jpg
    Got a seat, tail lights, rear blinkers.
    20200508_121436.jpg
    Slowly moving on with it
    flinders_72 and TonyKZ1 like this.
  9. mr bones

Oddometer:
    Not a fan of the seat. It's to small and tye frame hangs out the side.
    I'll put it aside and have a go at making one. 20200516_140602.jpg Got the seat pan roughly cut to shape