My Brother Wants To Ride

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by High Country Herb, Sep 16, 2021.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    A little update: He got the bike registered and insured. He drained and replaced the fuel. He has taken it for a couple of rides in his small town, and says it runs as smooth as a sewing machine. Even with the aftermarket exhaust, it's quiet.

The part that concerns me is that he hasn't bothered to get the motorcycle endorsement on his license. He says he doesn't have time to do the MSF course, and doesn't want to ride through cones at the DMV. :baldy At least he bought a full face helmet from the BMW dealer.

Good advice. I was about to sell my Aprilia and get a smaller dual sport, but I think I will keep it for a while so I can do some rides with him. We will probably ride into the Sierra and do some fishing.

My wife and I have the Sena SMH5, which is the bottom of the line from Sena. They work OK, but cut out often for just a few seconds. I'm afraid to do the software update due to reports of the units failing altogether after the update. This might be a good idea for a Christmas gift for him.
  2. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since he is a quad rider, you may need to fit the bike with training wheels for him....
    High Country Herb likes this.
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fact he doesn't want to do MSF or get an endorsement is a little interesting to me.

Considering that nearly every damned year the NHTSA crash statistics note that NOT having an endorsement is usually in the top 5 crash statistics.

I'm not say having a license makes one a better rider, however there must be something hiding in that fact....
    Bar None likes this.
  4. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Aside from the fuel system, the best thing for that BMW is to ride it, a lot. I'd run some BMW (Techron) fuel system additive through it just to insure the fuel injectors are clear. Valves on BMWs, once past the 600 mile initial check don't vary much if ever. BMWs like clean oil, and again, ride it. Now, that bike makes 90hp if you really crank it, and that twin likes to spin, so it has plenty of power, and is light and easy handling. A great bike really, ridden a bunch of them and liked them all. In contrast my 94 BMW R1100RS makes similar power to the 800GT and the R1100 weighs more. My 1100 will take it on overall top end but that 800 will easily keep up with my 94 1100.

As a 30 year MSF instructor and small track instructor, its imperative he gets proper training if he plans to ride. The "I have no time to take the MSF BRC" is, honestly, BS. IF he really wants to ride and enjoy it he needs the good basics to start from. Dirt riding is a great start as I have seen many dirt riders take to street/road riding naturally. Also, if he takes the BRC he'll likely get better insurance rates. Later, to really enjoy that bike I suggest a training class like the Lee Parks Total Control.

Great bike, but the light blue on yellow? Ugh. I can see all sorts of complementary accent colors to go with the yellow, but not that blue.
  5. LKraus

LKraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like a lot of us, I had no riding training, there wasn't any that I was aware of. I learned from motorcycle magazines and pamphlets from the BMV, and experience. Some of that experience was expensive, painful, and fortunately, only temporarily disabling. I did eventually take the MSF Advanced Rider course, and a year later, Total Control. I learned a lot from each, even after forty years of riding. A little of it was new, a lot more solidified ideas that I kind of just "knew" but didn't really use consciously or implement consistently. It was important to bring the concepts back to the forefront of my mind.

My niece rode a small bike for a couple years, mostly in-town commuting, then stored it three years ago during a move and some life changes. I've discouraged her from riding again without re- taking the BRC.

Without training, your brother cannot know what he needs to know, so push him to get some real instruction. The BRC would be a good start. Then take a course with him, something more advanced like the MSF Advanced Rider Course or Total Control. Whatever he might remember from riding as a kid will not prepare him for street riding today. He needs to know more than where the controls are located.

Without a MC endorsement, he is unlicensed. No insurance will cover damage he might cause. If he does not correct those deficiencies, he is also an idiot.
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the early 80’s I was tasked with training 5 individuals from China for a little over 2 months. Every day I would pick them up at an apartment we had rented for them and drive them to the learning center.

One morning one of the guys (Mr. Xu) said: “Please Mr. Williams, one of these days I think I would like to try to drive!” I was a little startled and asked: “Have you driven before?”
    His reply was “No, but my brother has……”
  8. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all relative
  9. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    He has reading difficulties, and has avoided it like the plague for 30 years. He'll take any shortcuts he can, and rarely follows through to the final steps of goals.

His work schedule has him working nearly every weekend for the next 2 months (he makes carnival food). The BRC courses around here require 2 Saturdays in a row.

I'll keep pushing him to get legal.
  10. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    Well, the MSF BRC "classroom" is really more interactive than reading. If he takes the BRC he can talk to the instructor ahead of time to make it more comfortable for him, like, not calling on him to read a section aloud in class, or to participate in the eye chart test section or the card reading (central vision demonstration). The online instruction prep is on his own time and as much time as it takes for him, or for you to work it through with him. There is nothing in the BRC Online that says he cannot have an assistant, or even someone to enter his answers for him.

The range exercises on the bikes requires no reading. So that should address those issues. Time for two Saturdays could be a challenge, that is a matter of if he really wants to get his license, then he'll find a way to make the time for it. Does he live somewhere that another MSF site with a better schedule would work for him? Another person posted about the issue that should he ride illegally, and he might be an ok rider, but say he gets involved in an issue that has him at blame, not being licensed could mean many other legal issues and costs far above what the time and cost was to get him legal on a bike.
    oic likes this.
  11. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I'll encourage him with some of those points.

Yes, he has a history of making rash decisions that cost far more in the long run.

I talked to him today, and warned him about insurance limitations. He said October was really slammed. I told him to commit to a November class ASAP before they book up.
  12. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
    BMW sure comes out with some interesting colors and color combinations.
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that stock colors on the bike?
  14. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where I live the in SoCal, no mc license endorsement and you get pulled over, the bike is impounded. It aint cheap to get back either.
  15. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bike too bad you weren't the luck one.
  16. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    No my uncle painted it. He could care less about aesthetics, but wanted it to be visible. I'd say he was successful. :lol3

It is a cool bike, but my Aprilia is better. My uncle didn't actually will it to my brother. He was just the first to ask my aunt about it sitting in the garage for the last 3 years. They asked my cousin if he wanted it, and he said no.
    radmann10 likes this.
  17. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    There should be a training center that can get it done in 1 weekend. (Fri-Sat-Sun.)
    That's what we did when I was an RC.

In the meantime, I'd work with your bro on a school parking lot (Sat/Sun.)
    Some cut-in-half tennis b alls can be some great training aids. Braking/swerving from 12-15MPH can help your bro learn just some of what he needs to know. (Braking and swerving are life saving skills to have.)
    The "offset weave" is a good exercise too. (MSF calls it Exercise #6...)

Once you/he successfully complete the "Basic", you can in 5,000 miles, go for the "advanced rider course."

If you gaze at my avatar, you may notice I'm demo'ing Ex. 7 of the ARC. (It's probably one of the "funnest" demo's there is.)
    You can always tell when an RC is doing a demo. We over accentuate our "head turns." (As displayed to the left, here.)
  18. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Sorry you're in this situation. Don't go for a ride with him until he is legal, and tell him that you won't. MSF is on weekends and he works weekends. Great! He just told you why he will man up and go take the DMV tests during the week. He risks a lot more than his personal safety, (and money), by riding unlicensed and uninsured.

When he says he already knows how to ride, tell him: "Then it should be easy for you to pass the tests." Tell him to get the training manual from DMV and that you don't want to hear excuses when he fails the written test, it's all in the manual. If his reading is that bad, or dyslexia, that's a more difficult issue to address and it's holding him back in life in a lot of ways. He needs to address that a lot more than he needs a motorcycle, IF that's the case.
  19. Andyvh1959

Oddometer:
    "I know how to ride", is an easy comment to justify a new rider doesn't need the class. But,...there are aspects of the classroom and the range exercises that hopefully will make him think "ha, I could use that." The mechanics, or the physical operation of riding a motorcycle is a major aspect of the MSF BRC for a new rider who's never been on a bike. But for a rider who may have years of dirt riding experience, the MSF BRC highlights aspects of riding on the street and in traffic that a dirt rider has no background to apply. We all can learn from effective training. But it can be tough for the "I know how to ride" motorcyclist to accept he can learn from training that means anything for the rider of some experience.
    Dirty bike likes this.
  20. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    I agree. I saw how much my wife learned from the class, which took me years to learn the hard way. She had ridden dirt bikes as a teenager, then nothing until about age 40. My brother is in a similar situation.