My build(s) - a scratch built frame and chair etc

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by guzzirelic, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If I have to make a tight bend, I will do it in two parts and weld them together.

FrameDetail001.jpg

No, this isn't welded, it's only tacked together at this point.
    guzzirelic, Jim K in PA and brstar like this.
  2. guzzirelic

guzzirelic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the Leading Link painted I have moved on to some other minor "upgrades". I removed the Windjammer fairing and did some wiring work, connecting the running lights that weren't hooked up. (the turn signals worked and are dual element 1157 bulbs but for some reason were only connected for signals)
    I also installed a pair of horns I bought last year. The original wasn't working great so I purchased a pair but could never decide where to mount them.
    They aren't especially good looking and the cheap chromed grills would quickly deteriorate and look even worse if subjected to road grime so mounting to a crash bar or strut didn't seem like a good idea.
    They now reside inside the fairing, one on each side of the headlight. It was a bit of a job to reach through the storage pockets to mount them.
    [​IMG]

And then bumpers. Since building the body way in 2005/6 I've thought of doing something to break up the large amount of (back then black) and now white acreage. I considered stripes or graphics. But decided to try some bumpers. Originally, I had a second brake light and right turn signal mounted to the sidecar fender but since doing the rehash of the chair last year and changing to a lighter, plastic fender I've run with only the motorcycle lights.
    I figured a rear bumper could support the sidecar brake and turn signal lights.
    My usual theme of using what I have on hand resulted in this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's 1.5" tube, some plate and flat stock. The brake/running LED was on the fender before. The turn signal is left over from my '71 Suzuki T250 Hustler build. I was going to paint it black and I might still do that but I am trying the silver first.
    The idea for silver came from the front bumper which is a Polaris snowmobile "take off" part that I got from work. One of the workhorse models comes with this bumper from factory but many customers opt for a more robust version. Of course there was some mods to make it fit and they are silver. Once in place I kind of liked the color against the white.
    [​IMG]

Mounting of the bumpers proved to be more challenging than I first thought.
    How do you decide where to drill the holes? The body is not symmetrical at the rounded ends. (it's close but being hand made means I didn't do it perfectly)
    There is nothing to measure from. The windshield and body are all curved. The body is not straight on the frame. The floor is not level, the outfit is not sitting level. In the end, it comes down to the old wooden boat builder's adage; "if it looks good, it IS good".
    Like hanging a picture, if you stand back and it looks good, you've done the job right.
    The only trouble with this method is that in winter, inside my tiny garage I can't stand back and look at it. I can barely get a couple of feet away. And I can't open the garage door as it is frozen in several inches of snow and ice. After taking several pics, analyzing and agonizing I've done the best I can.

When spring comes, I'll have a good look and perhaps I'll be doing some "adjusting".

Ken
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    yer doing good, thanks for sharing!
    guzzirelic likes this.
  4. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    And here are some detail photos of the bumper build.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sitting on a milk crate with the bumper resting on my knees as I sort out mounts etc.

[​IMG]
    This is the plate for the brake light mount. In the next photo I'm using the cut off piece to bend the "eyebrow" with my press.
    [​IMG]
    That's a body dolly and a chunk of used snowmobile belt used in the operation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thank you Polaris for shaping the bumper tubes to perfectly accept my brackets with nuts welded on them that fit into the triangle shape.

Front bumper supported in place as I try to "see" where it should mount.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally, do you remember from the beginning of my thread about building the fiber glass body? I shaped the rounded ends using closed cell foam pieces. And they stayed in place after covering with the cloth and resin, as did the end bulkheads.
    So... I had to get through these ends to secure the nuts on the inside of the bumper mounting bolts.
    I used a 12" drill bit running from the outside to locate where I needed access on the inside. Then laying on my belly inside the chair, (seat removed) I used a hole saw to cut through the plywood and foam. I now have four secret hidden storage areas.
    [​IMG]

The closed cell foam is very dusty stuff to work with!

Ken
  5. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    A small but important addition ---

[​IMG]

With the Enduralast charging system on my Convert and running a different regulator I don't have a working "GEN" light. So if I have a charging issue I won't know until things stop working. This digital voltmeter I've fitted into the fairing is small but the LED flashes at a very low or very high voltage. So I should notice anything out of the ordinary. I've wired it to be on with the key switch.
    Amazon for less than $15 shipped.

Ken
  6. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great build report Ken. As always, super, creative, dogged work.

Nick
    guzzirelic likes this.
  7. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    Idle hands and all...
    After the bumpers I still wanted to do something with the expansive rear deck on the sidecar body. I mentioned my idea of some sort of rack to the fellas at my work and one brought me a "treasure" from his garage at home. He's not sure where it came from other than his dad had it stashed away for years on their farm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This thing brings back many memories for me as a quintessential 70s auto accessory. I wonder how many sold and how many actually were installed? Can you just imagine some poor guy getting one as a gift from his wife and feeling he had to install it to keep her happy...drilling the holes in the trunk deck of his new car would have been painful.
    But I like to take something like this and make it work for me. For my purpose it is obviously far too long. But before cutting the "wind deflector" I needed to see if I could bend it to match the rear deck curvature of the sidecar body. I filled the airfoil shaped tube with sand and eased it around with only minor kinking.

Here's my first test fitting.
    [​IMG]

It looked good enough for me to go ahead and mount it. Again I was faced with trying to decide where to drill with nothing to measure from other than up from the bumper and centered. And again I had to make some access holes from the inside to work with the fastening bolts.

Once it was secured I added two of the center bars. And here's the finished "Flush Mount Trunk Rack/Luggage Carrier and Wind Deflector" made by Auto Trends Inc in Detroit Mi. installed on my sidecar body. :-)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it's not as functional as a Ural rear carrier but it could be used for a small case or something. There are tie downs spots on the end of each bar for bungee cords or such. And it didn't cost me a cent and provided a few hours of winter tinkering.

Ken
  8. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    They work with well with picnic baskets Ken. You need wine, glasses, small cucumber sandwiches, soft French cheeses plus assorted napkins, silver cutlery and porcelain plates. Oh yes, and some broad leather straps with brass buckles.

Looks wonderful - the final florish.

Nick
    brstar likes this.
  9. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is that strapping on 3 kegs of German Ale and heading for the Elefantentreffen is out of the question?
    RustyStuff and Bobmws like this.
  10. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not out of the question just questionable.
    guzzirelic and Bobmws like this.
  11. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Pics......:lurk
    guzzirelic and brstar like this.
  12. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll need a few empty kegs for flotation, but I can help you with that :rofl.
    guzzirelic, Bobmws and brstar like this.
  13. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    I'm still playing in the garage...added some small LED lights. One on the front of the chair ---

[​IMG]

and one on the left crash bar of the bike.

[​IMG]

They are both at about 17" from the ground and switched from a redundant toggle on the Guzzi dash. Powered only when the key is on.

Ken
    Bobmws, brstar and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  14. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read this whole thread. This is pure AWESOMENESS!!!

Great write up. I so need this
    guzzirelic likes this.
  15. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    Thanks! My advice: Go for it. You won't regret it.

Ken
    thadf likes this.
  16. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    My sidecar seat is hinged at the front and rides on coil springs at the rear. When no one is in the chair, the seat bounces continuously which not only puts unnecessary wear on the hinges and springs, but is also annoying for the driver, (me).
    So I've made up a simple bolt and bracket that secures the seat when not in use. The bolt feeds through one of the existing drain holes in the seat and threads into a nut, welded to a small bracket that is mounted to the floor.
    When I have a passenger, I will just remove the bolt and stow it in the windshield bag.
    [​IMG]
    I welded a flat washer to the bolt head so no tool is required
    [​IMG]
    You can see the bolt head in the left drain hole in the crutch of the seat.
    [​IMG]
    And a look under the seat at the bracket.

This is a small thing but I'll be happy I did it every time I ride with an empty sidecar seat.
    At this time, I think I'm done for this winter's work on the rig. I've got a few things to do to my other 2 wheeled bikes but other than replacing the battery and touching up a couple of marks in the sidecar paint, the Moto Guzzi Convert sidecar outfit is ready for spring.
    Too bad that's still a couple of months away...

I'll update this thread once I'm riding again if there's anything of interest to report. Thanks to everyone who has commented and "liked" my posts.

Ken
  17. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    April 18th today and an update. I've added about 150 miles to the Convert rig with the "new" leading link setting and shocks.
    You may recall that over the winter I extended the shock length by 2" which allowed me to move the swing arm to the 3.25" trail reduction position.
    (previously it was at 2" of trail reduction). I also swapped the shock springs for some softer ones.

I've ridden at various speeds up to what passes for highway in this area, (55-65mph) and over smooth pavement and rough gravel, (the frost is coming out!).
    I'm happy to report that the changes have worked out fine. I do notice a further reduction in steering effort so that's good. And there is no head shake at all.
    The softer springs are noticeable as well. Last season, (the first with the leading link) was good and now it feels even better.

I had been concerned that the further reduction in trail might be going too far and the rig would become unstable or twitchy at speed. And I didn't know how it would affect the head shake. But so far, so good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure I like the new front bumper but for now it will stay. I might consider some sort of stripe or graphic on the nose or the side as there's still acres of white it seems. Waiting now for some nicer weather and for the world it begin to normalize.

Ken
    draperg1, pops, Kruzof and 4 others like this.
  18. JohnRcbr

JohnRcbr underpowered

Oddometer:
    A variation of the paint scheme on your gas tank would look good , I think.
    guzzirelic likes this.
  19. guzzirelic

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd update this thread for a couple of reasons. First, my Convert rig worked super all this past season. I can single hand it at 60mph. I'm very happy with the outfit and looking forward to driving it again next year. My seasonal mileage wasn't great due to Covid causing our vintage bike club to cancel all the events. And the weather in 2020 has been just about the worst I can recall with a very late spring, now an early start to the cold and in between, an unusually hot summer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the second reason for this update ---

[​IMG]

I've purchased a winter project, (maybe two!). I won't be selling the Moto Guzzi Convert sidecar rig; no worries there. But I wanted something to play with that is more suited to back roads and gravel, maybe some two track trails. And I wanted/needed something to keep me occupied during the long winter evenings and weekends.
    I'm going to start a new thread for this project once I get underway but here are the loose details.
    The main machine is in the photo and it's a 1989 Dnepr MT-16, two wheel drive. Four speeds with reverse. I got it running but for reasons I'll cover in the new thread I'll be transplanting a BMW 750cc engine into the bike.

Once I start the thread I'll post here with the link in case anyone is interested in following along.

Ken
  20. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding? Looking forward to that link and following a whole winter's worth of updates. Stay well Ken.
    guzzirelic likes this.