My build thread - a winter's tale

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by wipe-out, Oct 23, 2014.

1. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wooohoooo, we have a live bike again... :freaky

Crappy cell phone pic but I forgot to take a good profile shot today:

[​IMG]

And some better pics straight from the shop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little more cutting here and there and she's ready to be painted. The seat will go to the upholsterer next. Forks turned out really nice, I really like the black. :clap

Cycra handguards are on order and I contacted these guys http://bikebonz.com/images/sitebdy/purbdy/hon_hgm/of_hon.htm to see if they ship to Europe.

Mirrors will be replaced by Double Take Mirrors.

Scheffelmeier bashplate looks great, some of the original screws are stripped though so need to fix that first before it can be mounted.

@ Fin: Decided today to go with the original instrument cluster, mainly due to the ABS indicator. May change that some time but for now it will do. Will have to ditch the crossbrace because of the way we mount it but it's the easiest and cleanest solution.

@ Everyone: While the forkguards seem very sturdy they are not fixed to the forks on the top end. Would that potentially be an issue at higher speeds? What would you typically do to mitigate this? Also there seems to be quite a bit of space between forks and guards, but I do really not see how they could be mounted any closer? Would that be a problem?

Psyked! :rayof :lol3
  2. BlackTape

BlackTape fixes everything!!

Oddometer:
    :clapAwesome!
  3. 97707

97707 Go Long Supporter

Oddometer:
    That stator cover, is it carbon fiber . . . or just a carbon fiber looking stick on over the casting?
  4. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    It is a carbon fiber cover that is being screwed on over the casting. It is not a replacement if that is what you mean.
  5. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did u get that brake lever from?
  6. wipe-out

Oddometer:
  7. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not the foot extension the actual brake lever ...looks fabbed or u stole it off another bike... looks like it dropped yer pedal down 1 or 2"s
  8. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Look at the pictures at TT again. This particular part is not just the extension, but the whole lever.
  9. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    So right now I am not 100% happy with the way the gauges are mounted. It sits on top of the handlebar clamp which for me works fine, but I don't like the simple aluminium plate it is mounted to, looks unfinished. Largely due to the high standards set for these builds in this forum which keeps to be an inspiration...

Current state:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what I would like to build is a case similar to the one available for the Trailtech Vapor to hide the bottom part of the gauges. I have no experience whatsoever in doing this, but luckily my girlfriend is an architect so she knows a little bit about 3D-modelling.

This is our first try, had the gauges here for measurements:

[​IMG]

The walls are 3mm each and come up about 2cm. I think we are pretty close, but the question is how to confirm fit before wasting money on having it machined (since I can't do that myself)... :hmmmmm
  10. bondyzf

bondyzf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks great

what bend twinwalls are you using and how do they compare to standard ?
  11. klimtachakka

klimtachakka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think BMW sells the cover for the gauges, because the F800R without the windscreen, has the cover. My previous bike was like that. Cover cost around 10EUR.
  12. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Thanks for mentioning, just had a look. Looks very different from what I have in mind if this is the part you are talking about:

[​IMG]

What I have in mind is a case like this (but mounted over the handlebar due to the size of the OEM gauges):

[​IMG]
  13. klimtachakka

klimtachakka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope thats not the one, it's just like a cover, I have one at home. However it does not really look like the one you want either.

[​IMG]

like that
  14. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Cannot find it in their parts catalog... If you have a part number I'd like to take a look. Still going to fab my own because I want to try it... Going to have it printed. Should build less high than the part on that R-model.
  15. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    found that lever....was on international site , touratech usa doesnt list it and your link was dead
  16. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Murph, the link works fine, but only when I select English language first... Anyway, for anyone else interested the part number of that brake lever is 01-048-5395-0.
  17. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    They made it :clap

[​IMG]
  18. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this bike is pretty epic, the front end looks how they should have done it in the first place, couple more questions though,
    1. are you going to put a windshield on it?
    2. about that light is it gonna be enough for the dark is it better than stock i guess?
  19. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Thanks Murph! No, I don't plan to put a windshield on it. Let's see how I feel about that after the first long tours, but my other bike is a naked and I don't mind.

About the lights, not sure if it's better than stock, but I doubt it (after all, it's also stock, in this case Husqvarna). I may add LEDs later, I quite like this set-up and there's enough room behind the fairing:

[​IMG]

Going full LED is not an option if I want to keep it street-legal.
  20. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    So, my seat is ready and on it's way back:

[​IMG]

Have not seen it in person so hope the colors will fit, hard to tell from the picture.

[​IMG]

Tippy toes anyone? :rofl Oh dear...

And then this has arrived as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit is almost perfect! Not sure how the print is going to hold up, but I have the model so I can always have it milled from aluminium if need be I suppose.

Now I'm just waiting for the plastics to come back from painting and she should be good to go, I mean BRRRAP! :clap And just in time!