My clutch slave cylinder modification

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by RedRupert, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    :freaky, eh? :loaded
  2. evoluzione

evoluzione Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as to an aluminum spacer, yes, we could make one but based on my failure analysis of the stock slave cylinder, i don't think that would have solved all of the issues (such as the cracked pistons).
  3. live_4_moment

live_4_moment Turtle Herder

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 purchased new in Feb 07 with 7K plus miles and my clutch slave cylinder failed while on my way for beers :freaky . When I tore it appart the oil was black and dirty. I hope the dealer will repair under warranty.
  4. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    You continue to amaze me Ken. I wish KTM had a few more dealers with your ethics. Or even just one near me.
  5. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    Oh, come on CP! I didn't say, or mean that. Are you not in business yourself? I didn't use the word 'correct' either.

It sounds like you own stock in Evo as well! :lol3

I'm simply questioning. That's good for everyone. If it pains you; don't read the thread. See the following quote by cmwoodys; I'm of the same mind:

No offense to you CP - you provide a constant flow of good information, and for that I am grateful :freaky but you're not ALWAYS right. :huh :D
  6. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    No offense taken, butt since the post in question wasn't made to you or about you, why are you taking it so personally? Honestly, you were the farthest thing from my mind when I wrote that post. You might consider applying the last line of your above post to your own conciousness.
  7. Beetle32

Beetle32 Lucky B.....

Oddometer:
    Is there any space for a discount if we would order let´s say 10 cylinders (or even more) directly with you?
    Actually a lot of guys here from the german lc8 forum are interested in your cylinder.
  8. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    Sorry old chap! :freaky

I thought you were referring to this paragraph, that I did post:

PS: You're are not AWAYS right... but it seems you are right MOST of the time! :thumb
  9. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    That's nice. Although I can get a quality spacer made locally at a reasonable price, I would buy one from you for around US$40 + not too much p+p.

I promise to buy one if you make them.

Can you make them out of Ti please :evil
  10. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's kind of you, and much appreciated. I shall not buy one though, as I've already bought the redesigned KTM version. Plus I have my modified spacer with brass insert to try (see photo in first post of this thread).
  11. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    They must. But check what fluid they use. My original (Motorex) stuff was black as well. I don't think it's up to the job. I now use LHM Plus (not sure if you can get it in the US of A, but Valvoline make it), but have not been using it long enough to know if it's a long-term fix. Good luck!
  12. union jack

union jack Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you change the clutch oil with the engine oil every time. Treat it like a consumable it is. Like you would keep the oil in the forks for 5 years and expect it to be fresh as a daisy. What about bleeding? I found the magura a real pig and had to try several times before it was bleed fully. The Evo was much better and bleed through first time (great instructions by the way Ken:deal ). Plug, plug

As to the spacer it reminds of a old Fiat 128 I once had. The fuel pump was driven off the block by a push rod. The rod ran through a plastic spacer. After a while it started to drip oil. I was suspicious of the spacer and as I was at college at the time I thought I'd knock one up in my lunch hours. I tried a urethane block, much stiffer but still leaked and even ally but not much success. It was just a bad design. The rod was putting too much force on the pump and the gaskets were leaking. Anyway ripped it off and fitted a Facet job down. The moral of the story is if its crap to start with theres very little you can do other than a complete redesign
  13. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Ken, you know I love ya from way back in my Ducati Mail List days, but please, PLEASE, don't post as a vendor outside of our Vendor Forum any more. I'll leave this thread be for now as time is tight and I have other stuff to tend to, but later on some posts are getting pruned, so don't anyone go acting all surprised. :lol3
  14. evoluzione

evoluzione Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    arch,

sorry about that - i was just replying to the thread and didn't realize i overstepped the bounds. i usually just try to answer tech questions and not play vendor (guess all of the smoke and ash is affecting my brain).

anyway, i just went through and deleted the offending messages - sorry again.
  15. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if folks are taking his product to task in a thread he didn't start? Was it the special shipping offer that got him in trouble?
  16. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Ken. You're good folks. I've known that for quite a long while now. :thumb
  17. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    I started this thread in order to find answers to questions.

It was so obvious that my plastic spacer had failed, I could not understand why Evo went to all the trouble and expense of making a whole slave cylinder, when it's was the spacer that was at fault.

So far some have voiced negative opinions with regard to having an aluminium spacer made, but they do not give facts to back their argument. Only theory.

Has anyone tried an aluminium (or any other heat conducting material) spacer?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was shocked to find that after only 19,000 km (12,000 miles) the clutch fluid was BLACK!

Was it because the fluid could not stand the, not very high, temperature?

Or was it that the fluid was eating internal rubber and/or plastic parts?

From what I've heard, the Motorex clutch fluid often fails. It has become obvious that it is not up to the job, so I looked for an alternative. LHM Plus seems more than capable, so I'm going to test this stuff and report my findings after I've covered some miles. I'm not going to change it regularly, on purpose, as I want to TEST it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize to the people who are sick n tired of me going on about this. I hope I've been objective, but I have not yet found answers to my questions. There has been too much opinion and not enough proof.
  18. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    1) the distortion of the spacer. Is your modified spacer sitting properly at its place? Is misalignment eliminated?
    2) the clutch fluid turning black. Is it because it is burned, or because it is mixed with solid particles, worn out of some part? Leaving it to rest in a glass bottle should show if particles sit at the bottom. Is the fluid gone thinner and so easier to leak or the color leads to the conclusion it has failed?

We are (were) sick and tired of the slave going kaput every year. Mine last one, fingers crossed has lasted two whole years. I keep my modification replacement under the seat with fluid to fill up. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey sick and tired people don't read this thread.
  19. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    Yes, when fitted together, the slave cylinder and plastic spacer lock and fit very well without movement. The brass bush that I had fitted is located very exactly according to the bore of the slave cylinder. When assembled, the piston will move in and out smoothly, but it is not lose enough to wobble. I am a little concerned about the difference in expansion between the aluminium piston and the brass bush - but I'm not losing sleep over it! If it does not work, I'll have an aluminium spacer made.

One more thought:

Once a spacer has failed and allowed the piston to skew, the piston may have damaged the bore of the cylinder, and hence cause replacement o-rings to fail more quickly.
  20. RedRupert

Oddometer:
    I don't know, and it's too late to check now. The LHM Plus fluid seems very mild, so I'm not expecting it to eat any parts of the system. It can handle very high temp as well. I'm optimistic.