My Coddiwomples through the United States…(Part IV: The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Apr 30, 2019.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Edit: I'll update the thread as I continue my sojourn across this great land of ours...

~ Part III: SoCal, NV, ID, and WA comprises pages 1 through 7...

~ Part IV: The Southern California BDR on a vintage Yamaha comprises pages 9 through ...

:beer

.................................................................................................................................

~ 30 April 2019

Part III
    ~ Southern California, Nevada, Idaho, and Eastern Washington…

I have been coddiwompling my way through life. It all began when I filled a position in a company that proclaimed travel and adventure as a lifestyle. The company’s mission statement made no guarantees that it would be a stroll through the Rose Garden but I accepted the challenges nonetheless. After agreeing to the terms and affixing my signature on the contract; I spent the next three decades trotting around the globe.

I have since retired from that lifestyle and now focus my time between family and my pastimes; motorcycles and photography… or as I call it “motography.” It was a couple of years ago, while driving back from the East Coast, I saw several motorcycle riders off on some adventure ride along my route home. It sparked a wanderlust in me. Up to that point I had only ridden motorcycles for commuting and weekend canyon carving. When I got home I started googling information for motorcycle adventures and the search led me to Adventure Rider. I lurked for a while, but then I decided to jump in and write my own reports so I could share my adventures with family and other inmates. More importantly, I wanted to record my adventures so I can relive them again and again someday when I’m relaxing on my power lift recliner and sipping on my Ensure Plus… :gerg

adventure is calling and I must go…
    1.jpg

At this stage in life, coddiwompling helps keep me young at heart by satisfying that basic urge to explore we humans possess. I have spent the last three decades traveling abroad; experiencing different cultures, meeting peoples of the world, tasting delicious cuisines, and the like. I have been away for far too long and my goal is to explore the four corners of these United States and to destinations in between over time. Aside from the occasional “Honey Do List,” I ride whenever possible so I can self-medicate with a healthy dose of endorphins that comes from good ole’ motorcycle therapy. The kind that leaves a sh!t eatin' grin on your :D when you pull back into the garage. That, and if I don’t throw a leg over the saddle every now and then, I get irritable and go through Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

“Life is short” as they say and only gets shorter with each passing year. My post retirement plan is to savor the remainder of my riding years to whatever destination it takes me…

my 50th birthday… (Part I)
    2.jpeg

more coddiwompling... (Part II)
    3.JPG

4.jpeg
    Gordon, OnTheWay, bomose and 23 others like this.
  2. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics and great plan. Tell me about it getting shorter. I am 74! Pointing at Ak for the 3rd time on a bike, tho this time hitching a ride for a lot of it with a guy towing a trailer.

Take care.

Ben.
    Dracula, bobw, kojack06 and 3 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ben,

I'll be headed back to Alaska in mid-May of 2020... I almost made the decision to go this year but spent the money on a bike. I read you're last ride to Alaska with Tim... every time I read an AK ride report, that little voice keeps egging me on. Specially this time of year when the annual migration starts up again...

cheers,
    Rudy
    bobw, Skooter, Folly1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. black 8

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I’ve come across these quotes shortly after I retired and they have helped shape my post retirement plan heading into my golden years…

~ “Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.” ~ Oliver Wendall Holmes

~ “Your life is your story. Write well. Edit often.” ~ Susan Statham

~ “Many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased.” ~ John Steinbeck

more coddiwompling...
    5.jpeg

6.jpg

7.jpeg

I found my avatar at the Prada Marfa exhibit in TX...
    8.jpg
  5. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In for part III, love your reports, looking forward to this one......from a country song...... "Life is short..make it sweet".....oh so true!!
    Ginger Beard and black 8 like this.
  6. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right on Rudy! Wuuhooo!! We’ll be following along and sure hope to meet up. May 2nd we are outta here! Cheers!
    black 8 likes this.
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    In, Looking forward to another epic trip :lurk
    black 8 likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    glad to have all of you along for the ride...
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    The general idea is to roam about north from Southern California, up through the Pacific Northwest, explore a bit, and head back home. I have some Butler maps with me so I can see what G-1 roads are nearby whenever I stop and if something piques my interest; I may go off on a tangent and explore in another direction. I’ll be moto-camping most of the way so I can see and experience springtime in the PNW first hand. It’ll be great to get back in touch with Mother Nature to explore life, see majestic landscapes, and spend some time in front of a camp fire grilling steaks with an IPA close at hand... :dukegirl :drink

I’ll get a hotel every few days just to get cleaned up and get some laundry done. Other than that, the plan is about as solid a jello…

I’ll be using this GSA for my coddiwomple so I can wear out the stock OEM Anakees to make way for some Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41 when I get back… waste not, want not. I also ordered an oil change kit from eBay along with a Hex Code GS-911 so I can do a brake flush and reset the service reminder… I should be on the road next Tuesday once the maintenance and final checks are complete…

1.jpg
    Gordon, Mofrid, Skooter and 6 others like this.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    REVER app has their premium subscription at half price right now (or at least they did last Thursday). $24 for a whole year. Seems to be a good mapping APP for your Phone and it includes all the Butler Routes preloaded as well.
    I bought it and tried it some on this last trip. Like it a lot so far - but still working my way through the processes.

Just thought I'd let you know...
    bobw, Skooter, wilfred and 1 other person like this.
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kelly
  12. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! Have a great trip, such a wonderful target riding area. The Lost Coast is one of my favorite all time rides...

Enjoy!
    black 8 and Zubb like this.
  13. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is the way I like to plan my trips.....headed that-a-way, but might go that way if it suits me. Following along.
    Oldschoolrocker and black 8 like this.
  14. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off on a trip with you once again Rudy. Take us to all the interesting places.....Dave....:lurk
    black 8 likes this.
  15. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ready for another @black 8 motography trip full of awesome pix. :beer
    black 8 likes this.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

BTW, when are you taking off for your Germany Tour? Last I saw the F800GT was headed for Bremerhaven...
    wilfred likes this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    That's one of the perks of being retired... I can throw schedules right out the window... :wings
    klaviator likes this.
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave...

Definitely, looking forward to exploring new roads on this go-around...
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vic...

Annika, Hanz, and Franz should have thawed out by now, any rides planned for FY-19?

Best regards to you and Hannah for this riding season...
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  20. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike is supposed to be at Stefan's in Heidelberg this week, waiting on an update. I'll be there 1 Aug thru most of Sept. Can't wait! Most of the time will be spent in the Alps; Germany is the "storage point." I do plan to ride thru the Black Forest, however.
    bobw, Oldschoolrocker and black 8 like this.