My Coddiwomples through the United States…(Part IV: The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Apr 30, 2019.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    words cannot describe the beauty of the PNW and in this case Idaho... but this panoramic shot comes halfway close... it was captured with my iPhone and came out better than my D800 below... if you haven't been to the PNW, you need to go...
    8.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
    Gordon, sealsam, BigDogRaven and 7 others like this.
  2. black 8

Oddometer:
    into the belly of the beast...

I was already prepared for cold wet rain with my heated vest and gortex suit... it had been sprinkling all morning long so I knew I was going to run into rain as I rode south... the storm clouds just got darker and darker...
    9.jpg

constant rain on NV-278
    10.jpg

it started coming down harder once I got onto NV-376...
    11.jpg

several cars had passed me in both directions and I could hear them saying in my head ''that poor bastard on that motorcycle..." the wind was blowing so hard in some places that I had to press on the right side of the bar just to keep from getting blown onto the other lane... my gloves were soaked through but I was only 30 miles or so from Tonopah... then suddenly my face shield started fogging up so I wiped it away but it kept coming back... I said to myself "WTF" is going on??? I later figured out it was no longer fog but slush on my face shield... the rain had turned to sleet and snow with the temp at 33℉ and snow symbol on the TFT.. CRAP!!! I have NEVER EVER ridden in snow before, driven yes, ridden NO! I kept saying in my head "please don't stick, please don't stick, please don't stick..." I could start to see the water puddles slowly turning into slush on the tarmac so I kick the Beemer in rain-mode and slowed down a bit and put my flashers on... finally I was tired of wiping away the slush on my face shield so I opened it halfway only to be pelted in the cheeks... I was in a no win scenario...

12.jpg
    Gordon, bobw, Muscongus and 11 others like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    at only 27 miles left to go from Tonopah, I decided to pull over to assess my situation and finally put my neoprene w/p gloves before something happens to my dumb @ss... several cars had passed while I was stopped and none.. NONE stopped to see if I was OK... well obviously I can't stay here! Meanwhile it was still snowing and didn't seem like it would stop anytime soon, it was cold, I was cold unplugged from the bike... while I pondered what to do I broke out the iPhone for a couple of pics or else it didn't happen... :lol3 Finally I decided that I needed to keep going at a slower pace since I only had 27 miles left... when I banged that right headed into Tonopah, the wind and snow picked up... I was already committed so I press on and make it into Tonopah... I was able to get a room at the National 9 Inn for $55.00 +tax...
    13.jpg

14.jpg

after I unloaded the bike, warmed up for a bit, and called Mrs. B8 that I was OK... it had stopped snowing so I walked downtown to find some food and IPAs... and settled in for the night...
    15.jpg
    Gordon, elron, bobw and 15 others like this.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like an Adventure ride....
    Be safe. Your retired, wait out the weather
  5. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy, we spent a few days in Tonopah riding the dirt tracks I could find. At the RV camp we stayed in , the guy in charge was in a great mood. he just got out of jail 2 days ago! Then at night ,we went to Karaoke at the Hotel and saw Mr. Catman, the guy who was transforming himself to be cat like. That meant tattoos of whiskers on his face, lips redone, really long fingernails. He's not with us anymore, but google has some info.
    so that's my memory of Tonopah, sounds like you're goin remember it too.
    brucerogers, sealsam and black 8 like this.
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks... the weather cleared enough to continue...
    Bigbob1 and klaviator like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Yup... I'll definitely remember that ride.

Who knew it would snow out there in mid-May...
    klaviator likes this.
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 17 May 2019 (Day 11)

When Mother Nature deals ya' lemons... ya' make lemonade...
    1.jpg

on the positive side with all this rain I've been getting... ALL the dead bugs were power washed off the GSA, less work to get her clean when I get home... :wings Leaving Tonopah I had two choices (1) head south on US-95 and then the 395 down to SoCal or (2) head east and do a little more exploring... I was looking at the clouds and I could see blue skies looking south and gray skies to the east... Would I be tempting fate by heading east??? mehhh... I want to ride the The Extraterrestrial Hwy today... what could Mother Nature do to me that she hasn't done already??? 2.jpg

it was a nippy 35 ℉ when I left Tonopah east on US-6 and ultimately to NV-375 (Extraterrestrial Hwy)...
    3.JPG

as I rode east, the mountains and valleys were covered in fresh snow...
    4.jpg
    Gordon, bobw, freewaystreak and 12 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    when Mother Nature breaks out her easel and brush... she can work her magic and paint her @ss off... I captured these on US-6...
    5.jpg

6.jpg

I got these on NV-375... quite a contrast with the desert bloom still going strong...

7.jpg

headed east on NV-375 and into rain country again... so what else is new???
    8.jpg

I was getting caught up in other ride reports yesterday and I saw in a post the weather front I came across while leaving Spokane dumped a whole bunch of rain and created flash floods...

https://www.khq.com/news/video-majo...deo_f4615b18-784b-11e9-b8f2-27880faac175.html
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    WTF!!!
    9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg
    Gordon, bobw, freewaystreak and 14 others like this.
  11. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great, what a fun adventure. Great pic! Very enjoyable, and inspirational read.
    black 8 likes this.
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Big Dog... just makin' memories...
  13. black 8

Oddometer:
    one thing about all this rain and snow... it changes the character of a drought ridden desert... you find once dried out river beds full of water again, green foliage, flower blooms, and snow capped peaks... such beauty in such a harsh environment... too bad some people pass by this magnificence in their cages hurrying to get out of the desert...
    13.jpg

14.jpg

the sun painting the hills in between the puffs of clouds...
    15.jpg

16.jpg
    Gordon, elron, Muscongus and 9 others like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to seeing the Black Mailbox in the middle of the Exraterrestial Highway, but I later found out it had been stolen a few years back but I still wanted to see it... pretty sad that some nerd out there coveted it so much that they wanted it more for themselves rather than letting everyone partake in the experience...
    17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

at the end of the Extraterrestrial Highway now...
    21.jpg
    bobw, 23103a, kickstandsup and 11 others like this.
  15. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man Rudy!! Great stuff!! Same crap we had to ride thru . We are in Riggins headed to Spokane on the 95. Long haul but BEAUTIMUS!! Cant wait to reread your post...sure I missed some! Cheers ERIC & STEPH 5ADAE294-0474-4B51-8B36-47AEDF87590B.jpeg
  16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Cheers you two...
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    I left Tonopah early so I hadn't eaten anything yet... Jill was going to take me passed Las Vegas and I knew there was a Cracker Barrel on the north side somewhere and I was hankerin' a Momma's Pancake Breakfast... it was a nice change of pace sitting down for a service meal... I don't know what Cracker Barrel does to get those crusty edges on their buttermilk pancakes but I have tried cooking their own mix on a griddle and cast iron but could never get that crust just right... (BTW the red arrow is pointing to the GSA so I can keep an eye on it....)
    22.jpg

23.jpg

relax time on a rocking chair for a few minutes before I get back on the saddle for the ride home...
    24.jpg

yup... I'm definitely back home in SoCal...
    25.jpg
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    I got home Friday, 17 May after 11 days and 3,531 miles on the clock... the GSA is down to about 2mm on the front and back tire (with a total of 9,126 mi) so time for a new set of shoes... I've got a few sets of new rubber sitting in the garage... I'm deciding wether to mount the Shinko 804/805s or the Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41s... I'll probably try the Bridgestone's since I have experience with the Shinkos on the KLR...
    IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1473 (1).jpg

Also, I'm currently going through all the photos and videos for the trip home and will make a Part II video... afterwards I'll put this thread into hibernation until I go back out... maybe staying closer to home this time in Arizona and Utah...

cheers...
    dano619, BigDogRaven, Zubb and 10 others like this.
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad all ended well on the end of this ride Rudy, that was looking pretty darn bleak in the Tonopah area. The way you capture the landscape is so stunning, thanks for taking the time to put these reports together, it is not easy to do!

Curious, are you using or have any of the Benchmark map books? Maybe I've asked before, not sure. The detail is wonderful, just opens up so many doors for exploring, and they're just plain fun to go through. I only bring it up since you mentioned AZ & UT.

At the end of the report you stopped at Cracker Barrel in Vegas, I stopped at the southern one by Bass Pro Shop this past Wed a.m., I wanted it to be better, the coffee was great though.

Congratulations on another successful adventure Rudy, waitin' on that AZ/UT report now. If I may, Kolob Res., Cedar Breaks, Toroweap, Moki Dugway & on & on...
    klaviator, eaglescan and black 8 like this.
  20. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR!
    Zubb and black 8 like this.