My Coddiwomples through the United States…(Part IV: The CABDR on a vintage Yamaha)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by black 8, Apr 30, 2019.

1. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Late to the Party, but another "tip o' the hat and raised glass"! Thanks for taking us along.

:beer
    black 8 and dano619 like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    There is always room for improvements in better motographs and story telling... and that is what I strive for... I think I may have OCD at times... :loco
    B10Dave and MYUMPH like this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks bobw, always great to have you along...
    bobw likes this.
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Rudy...I saw you took the Inchlium ferry across Lake Roosevelt. Did you continue on west then north etc after that? I know you where cutting things short.
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    I went up to Kettle Falls afterwards but it started to rain so I skipped the rest of the ride and took the 395 down back to Spokane... it's no fun riding or taking photos in the rain... I figured I can explore that area when/if I am back up there again...
    sealsam and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Can't remember if you've ridden "20" across the north half of Washington . . . ? Draw a line between Kettle falls and Bellingham and try to stay as close to it as you can. THAT is the hidden gem part of Washington!
    black 8 likes this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    thanks for the intel Kelly, I'll make sure to add WA-20 the next time I am up that way, perhaps in 2020...
    Zubb likes this.
  8. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought about ya yesterday Rudy as I was making my way I-5 S to 76E on my way to Borrego. Colder than a mudda out by Palomar, had to stop for coffee at the Lake Henshaw Cafe, 0830 & low 40's. Trying out my new windscreen on the CRF, it passed the grade.

More importantly I thought long and hard of those that gave all for all of us on that ride. I never served, but tons of respect for all that have and still do!!

[​IMG]
    SLUGGO, MYUMPH, pratered and 3 others like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sam... did my own reflections as well...

Glad to see that the CRF is getting a workout and piling on the miles... I really enjoyed your trip out to Toroweap Overlook and have added that to my next trip out...

cheers,
    Rudy
    klaviator likes this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 8 Nov 2019

Part IV

~ The Southern California BDR on a vintage Yamaha...
    (this is a post ride report from 30 Oct through 7 Nov 2019)

“The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” is adapted from a poem written by Robert Burns in November 1875. The story goes that Burns was ploughing in the fields on his farm. He accidentally destroys a mouse’s nest ahead of winter and the mouse runs away bickering at Burns. Realizing what he had done, Burns speaks to the mouse as if apologizing for what he had done. He later pens the poem “To the Mouse.” In so many words, no matter how well intentioned your plans are; “sh!t happens”... a phrase we are all too familiar with.

Alaska waypoints plotted...
    1.jpg

the bike packed and going through load testing...
    2.jpg

I had plans for a return trip to Alaska this past August and I was within the three week window for departure. However, Murphy has a way of throwing his wrenches into the equation and effectively pulling you in a different direction. He forces you to change priorities and in in my case; family. Within the span of one and a half months, my parents needed my help in Florida and my wife’s mother passed away. The latter was hard watching the wife go through the grieving process so I set my travel plans aside. In the midst of all this, I managed to get my hands on a vintage Yamaha that had spent most of its life in the garage. The Yamaha became my project bike and kept me occupied until I felt comfortable that Mrs. B8 could resume some semblance of normalcy. This is where the story begins...

found my project bike, a low mileage 1981 Yamaha XT250...
    3.jpg

dry rotted OEM Bridgestone Trail Wings 11s still mounted...
    4.jpg

11. black 8

Oddometer:
    the little Yamaha was lightly corroded and needed a refresh... new tires, tear down and lube of the rear swingarm...
    5.jpg

6.jpg

found an old Technical Bulletin (M83-005) relevant to this particular Yamaha...
    7.jpg

definitely new brake shoes...
    8.jpg
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    While getting the XT ready for the CABDR, I read through the breakdown of the section’s info in the Butler Maps Southern CABDR. I also watched various videos on the subject in youtube and I began to feel a little trepidation about riding the route solo with limited off-road experience using a 38 year old unproven dual sport. It’ll literally be a trial by fire for myself and the little Yamaha...

heavily rusted front fork caps with almost 4 decades of little to no use...
    9.jpg

10.jpg

rebuilt forks with heavier 15W fork oil for off-road adventures...
    11.jpg

off-road test to validate rideability/reliability... and she's finally ready to go...
    12.jpg

About me:

~ Who are you? I’m a retired middle aged dude with arthritis in my fingers...

~ Are you crazy? No, my name is Rudy...

~ Why did you choose the CABDR as your first BDR? It’s literally in my backyard living in SoCal...

~ What’s your off road experience? Although I have ridden Titus Canyon and The Racetrack Playa in Death Valley, I have very little experience riding technical trails. I was introduced to off-road riding during a group ride a year ago on the Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail near Agua Caliente. I ride mostly gravel, forest roads, and truck trails...

I provide this information because they are germane to this ride report. Though I have wanted to ride the CABDR for a while, I’m no Bob Hannah. I look at the CABDR as a personal challenge and as a way to step out of my comfort zone. I’m of the mindset that if you are weak on a subject, get out there and tackle it head on. As one scholar put it so succinctly, “Do or do not. There is no try...”

In retrospect, riding the CABDR solo will definitely challenge you both mentally and physically... not to mention the durability of your bike... I'll be reporting not just on the CABDR but also some thoughts that come to mind during the ride...

Let's dance little Yamaha...

13. black 8

Oddometer:
    ~ 30 Oct 2019 (Day 1)

Not knowing what I was getting myself into, I had preconceived notions that I could ride the 120+ mile sections of the CA BDR in about three to fours hours with another two hours built in for some rest and motography along the way... I was thinking how nice it would be to sleep in each day and hit the trails by late morning. With that mindset I departed Oceanside at around 10:30am and headed out towards Borrego Springs and Slab City for some sightseeing along the way. I wanted to run the XT at a conservative pace (50-55 mph) so I wouldn't put any undue stress on the engine running on the Interstates. My route took me from CA-76 and CA-79 to Montezuma grade and finally into Borrego Springs...

panoramic view of Lake Henshaw headed out to Montezuma Grade...
    1.jpg

a view of Borrego Springs from the overlook...
    2.jpg

Borrego Springs is a virtual desert playground within arms reach of Oceanside...
    3.jpg

4.jpg
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    I wanted to head into Borrego Springs one last time to play in the sand and see the Galleta Meadows Metal Sculptures. These are 130 pieces of free standing art spread out within three square miles owned by the late Dennis Avery. In late 2007, the late multimillionaire and paleontology buff, enlisted Ricardo Breceda to create Jurassic Era metal sculptures. When Breceda ran out of Jurassic Era beasts, he started creating his own ideas...

this Serpent stretches across the road...
    5.jpg

6.jpg

more sand time...
    7.jpg

time to head out to Niland, CA and Slab City for more sand time...
    8.jpg
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    Niland, CA is home to Slab City and Salvation Mountain. Puportedly Slab City is the last free place in America. Once a former military base, Slab City is a place where Snowbirds come during the winter since it lacks any fees. Yet for others that call it home; squatters and survivalists, Slab City offers an escape from law enforcement, taxation, or any type of oversight... but that lifestyle requires one to live off the grid without services...

9.jpg

Salvation Mountain was created by the late Leonard Knight in which 100,000+ gallons of paint was used to create his life's work...
    10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

16. black 8

Oddometer:
    Slab City is whimsical destination where you'll find eccentric desert art...

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    It was getting late in the afternoon and I still had to make it to BLM property for some free camping. Holtville was my destination for the night so I could set myself up for the Yuma start of the CABDR. On my way through Holtville I stopped by the local Dollar General to pick up some grub and a fire log for the evening...

17.jpg

its feels good to be out camping by the fire again, nothing like back to basics...
    18.jpg

tomorrow, the start of the CABDR...

18. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work on the photos. That Salvation Mountain is one of a kind for sure. I was able to walk on part of the roof, made of hay bales and Paint. Cool
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Great start Rudy!
    klaviator likes this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Definitely a travel destination to visit Steve.

I've only barely scratched the surface riding around Borrego, Ocotillo Wells, and the Salton Sea...
    MYUMPH and klaviator like this.