My Denver Experience

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tkitna, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    My daughter is a huge Broncos fan so we flew out to Denver to catch a game for her graduation present. I'm a Seahawks fan but I went incognito the 5 days we were here. Here's my outlook.

There isn't much to do in Denver. My daughter is 18 so going to the bars and getting cranked wasn't happening. We did the stadium tour, shopped, and hung out on 16th street Saturday night. Thats about it. We had no interest in going to the Aquarium or any of the million museums so we kind of just chilled.

The people all seem decent, but most of them that we met all seem to have sense of humors that are 10 to 20 years younger than they are. During the stadium tour there was a husband and wife combo along with his buddy that were the comedians. Every chance they had, they grilled the tour guide about getting a free beer. You know, the kind of things that were funny when you were in 8th grade stuff. They thought they were cute and so did the rest of the tour evidently as they all laughed along. My daughter and I thought they were fucking retarded. It happened at the game too. Some guy a few rows back started yelling and screaming at number 76 for the Colts and got like the entire section doing it. Every play they were yelling and cracking jokes on 76. When the guy started doing this, he yelled that it wasn't going to get old soon. My daughter looked at me and said it was old 10 minutes ago. It was so dumb and stupid that it was surreal. Maybe thats common in Denver. Who knows.

Speaking of fans, Denver Broncos fans suck. I hated all of them that was around me. In front of me we had the group that included a guy that had moved to Indiana but flew in for the game. He was the guy that thought he was cool and kept poking his buddies throughout the game just to annoy them. I could tell they were aggravated with him. To my right was the older dude that commented on every play but didn't know jack shit about football. He explained every play to his wife and was wrong 90% of the time. You know the guy,,,,'Come on Anderson, run around the pile not into it',,,,when they needed 1 yard. The two young dudes behind us who talked about school and social issues throughout the entire game until they let out their 18 year old scream queen cheers that felt like fingernails on a chalkboard. Lastly there was the group to the left that bitched and complained anytime somebody would get up to piss or get something to eat and they happened to miss a 2 yard run. There's three jails in he stadium and the tour guide said they are filled up every game. Now I know why,,,those people are assholes.

The stadium - I thought it was funny that they decided to install rusty, metal flooring under the seats for noise. Thats some cheesy stuff there. It looks terrible. Also, why is the stadium in BFE? Its out in the middle of nowhere. People told us to take the free mall shuttle to the end and its a short half mile walk. Yeah, lets try about 5 miles. WTF?

Taxi's - good luck trying to find one to hail. Its almost comical. Had to have our hotel call them to show up.

Bicycles - Fuck, don't get me started on these idiots. Walking back from the stadium on a Friday, we almost got ran down by a hundred of them. Its Friday, don't these people work?

Girls - By far the most attractive girls I have ever seen in any bigger city. Most of the younger girls 20-40 are in shape, pretty, and wear yoga pants. Well done Denver.

Weather has been nothing short of fantastic.

I don't want my review to sound so demeaning to Denver and the Broncos fans, but it was my experience. The Broncos won and my daughter was happy for that. She had a great time and it was all worth it. I didn't and can't wait to go home tomorrow, but my wife just lost her job and i'm on edge so i'm sure that played a big part in everything. Lets just say I couldn't be happier that Seattle beat Denver in that Super Bowl. Lol. Peace.
    spokester likes this.
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When do the Beatles play again?
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your wife's job. That sucks. Has to be stressful.
    tkitna likes this.
  4. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wax. Yeah it sucks. Self employed and made 3 times more than I did and she got shut down. Could be temporary, but probably not. Going to be a drastic lifestyle change. Gold Wing and truck must go.
  5. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Halftime at the Supersonics game this year. :D
  6. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

damn. :cry
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I'm sorry.
  8. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    PS-- sorry you had so many encounters with idiots.

My own experiences have been positive, but I'm a Broncos fan. I haven't witnessed much of truly asshole behavior besides a very drunk guy erupting in vomit (well except by Steelers fans)--fortunately far pre-game, so he didn't hit anyone. But I'm a bit mixed on going to Football games, even if I lived in Denver, I think it would still be once, maybe twice a year.--

Overall I think Broncos fans are pretty friendly. Of visitors my rankings #1 Texans, #2 Cowboys #3 Colts #4 Chiefs. All for the most part pretty good people. By far the worst Steelers... what a huge bunch of raging assholes. I liked the Steelers until I encountered their fans. Other than the Raiders other teams haven't had enough of a presence for me to evaluate. Raiders fans can be cool, or total assholes-- but, yeah I'll admit I've witnessed excess taunting the other way with the Raiders. But I did once have a good conversation with Raiders fans (guys from the Bay area) who sat in front of me. "We're season ticket holders, every year we go to one away game-- usually Denver or KC-- but if the Raiders go somewhere interesting like Chicago or Green Bay that will be the away... KC fans are the best, Denver #2... we won't go to San Diego as the Raiders fans--gang vs gang is too dangerous-- and the Chargers fans are just as bad. "

The Stadium is 1.5 miles from the 16th Street Mall, this fat dude walks it once every year and finds it pretty easy. We take the train to the game, go have beers and avoid the huge crowd taking the trains away by walking up to the mall. We've shared a table and beers with opposing team's fans that we met at the game... and then ran into at the same bar. That said, the 16th St mall is on a down swing. 10 years ago a much more fun environment. Now, its original shady at night edge is showing more and more.

But, Denver? Great city IMHO-- and growing up in Colo I hated it. Lot's of great neighborhoods. You avoided the museums-- too bad. Bunches of fun stuff to do nearly every weekend.
  9. RLK

RLK RLK KLR

Oddometer:
    I think you would have been less cranky if you looked at a map before you tried to walk to the stadium. Maybe someone gave you directions to the baseball stadium.
  10. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Hey, it is like being in Vegas. When you are on the east coast, it looks on the map like a 5 minute walk and it is. In Vegas, or most places in the west, that same view is an hour walk.
  11. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Oh you win some, you lose some. I know they arent the majority. I just got unlucky and they werent even that bad.

Your preaching to the choir Jurgen. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to a Steelers/Seahawks game in the 90's at Three Rivers. What a bunch of fucking assholes. I almost had to fight my way out of the bathroom because I was wearing a Seahawks hat. Then there was the guy all drunked up on that weasel piss Iron City that was cussing and spitting on the father with his 12 year old daughter that had Seahawk jackets on. I felt so bad for him but there wasnt anything he could have done. There was an entire group of them. Security was notified and nothing was done. They ended up leaving. And this was all happening against the Seahawks in the 90's that sucked mind you. Yeah, fuck the Steelers and every single fan that lives in that human urinal of a city.

We took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. We found ourselves in a fenced in abandoned parking lot somehow. Lol. We had to backtrack and it took us a good bit longer. We took a taxi to and from when it was gameday.

I dug 16th Street. Would have been cool to be able to bar hop a little while I was there.
    spokester likes this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Jurgen. My wife is the NFL liaison for her company so we went out for the opening Thursday night game a couple of weeks ago. It was my first time in Denver and I found it to be a pretty cool city. Yeah, Bronco's fans seem pretty nutty but I appreciate a city that supports their team. I thought the stadium was located in a pretty decent area relative to the city...I hardly found it to be in BFE.

I will have to admit that we got to do things a little more exclusive than the normal fan due to her relationship with the NFL. I wouldn't have gone if we didn't:D Also my time may have been more pleasant due to Colorado's finest edibles.
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty new to Denver, so I'm curious about your impression.

Denver is mostly an outdoors-activity kind of place. Everyone hikes, or skis, or climbs, or cycles.

Did you go to the mountains?

As an Uber driver, one thing I've never heard is someone saying, "there isn't much to do in Denver." It's always the opposite. My out-of-town passengers complain that they don't have enough time in Denver to scratch the surface of everything going on. Again, as an Uber driver, it's difficult for me to keep up with all the things going on, which is important to my job, as I like to be available during busy periods. It seems that almost every day there is at least one big sporting event, whether it be the Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, or one of the smaller sporting events like the Avalanche, Rapids, or one of the la crosse or rugby teams. And there are about half a dozen concert venues that fill to capacity numerous times per week. And as you mention, there are a million museums, including the biggest mint in the world.

Everyone here (and apparently elsewhere) is a Broncos fan. I haven't been to a game. But I give frequent rides to people from all over the country who are here to watch the Broncos. Like you and your daughter, this teams attracts people from all over. I'm not sure why.

Full disclosure: I'm a Vikings fan.

Could be.

Interesting observation. I drive past Mile High with passengers very often, as the interstate passes between downtown and the stadium. One comment I hear quite often from passengers is how close the stadium is to downtown. Compared to stadia in New York and Texas, apparently, Denver's football stadium is very close. It's about a mile from downtown. During game days, it can be oppressively packed with people. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

As for the seats, I don't have any response. Never been there, and I'm not familiar with the architects' intention. I do find it a very industrial design from the outside.

Cough, cough. Uber? All I hear is complaints about taxis. My Uber passengers rarely wait more than two or three minutes.

Seriously. Who the hell uses taxis anymore? This one made me laugh.

It's a very active city. People run, walk, and cycle everywhere.

Yes.

About half the reason I came to Denver was because of the climate.

Which Super Bowl was that? Must have been a long time ago.

Jamie
  14. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Yes, my niece lives in Boulder and said the same. No, we didnt make it to the mountains. We had Monday free and seriously considered, but my daughter ended up losing her wallet and it just never happened.

I'm not sure what all they could have been trying to possibly fit in. I wish somebody would have given me some ideas. I guess i'm basing my comparison with Seattle. Seattle had a ton of stuff to do and see compared to Denver. At least I thought so anyways.

I'm a Seahawks fan.

I've been to 5 or 6 different stadiums in different cities and they all were right in the middle of the city. Sports Authority is on the outskirts. I found it odd.

They did it for artificial noise purposes's and I found it to be an eye sore to an otherwise beautiful complex and totally unnecessary.

I live in West Virginia where most locations are traveled to and from by ATV's and motorcycles. Grabbing a taxi is an experience for us let alone Uber. I dont even really know what the hell Uber actually is. Isnt it just independent drivers basically stealing business away from taxi services? Not sure why there would be much of a difference, but again, I have no idea what Uber actually is.

Yes it is.

Just three years ago.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Shots fired!
  16. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Not at all and there was nothing mean or harmful intended. I honestly wasn't aware of how or why Uber would be a better option than a taxi. I just read up on Uber to see what it is and I still don't know. Some articles state Uber is cheaper and some articles say they aren't. Whatever. I live in an area where there are no taxi's or Uber so it really doesn't matter one way or another to me.
  17. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    So, Denver sucks?
  18. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    Denver sucks, please stay away.
  19. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the skiiing in Utah is better.
  20. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an Uber driver, I interact with a lot of people on a day-to-day basis. It's split between out-of-towners and locals. I hear very, very few complaints about Denver, and the reason I moved here was because even though I'd never been to the city, I asked and researched a bunch, and couldn't find hardly any negatives.

Tkitna is, of course, entitled to his own opinion. That's not in dispute.

I do occasionally hear visitors complain about about the trek to the football stadium. Though it's within the city, and only about a mile from downtown, you have to cross I-25 to get there. When people ask me if they can walk to the stadium, I waffle. I tell them it's possible, but it's not a great walk. You end up going through some industrial area. On the plus side, there are a couple of breweries along the way.

That said, most often I hear people express surprise at how close the stadium is. As we drive past going downtown I'll point it out, and the reaction is generally something along the lines of, "Wow! I didn't realize it was so close." To hear someone say that it's in BFE was a little unusual. Unique, actually.

Just to clarify for those who haven't been to Denver. Mile High Stadium is within city limits, just outside the main business district. It's about as far from downtown as the state capitol building. The only thing that I think makes it "on the outskirts" is that it's on the other side of the river and interstate.

Getting to the stadium by vehicle is probably not much better than walking. I don't Uber on game days. The traffic and crowds of people make it not worth my time.

Another complaint I hear is about ticket prices. As I've said, I've not been to a game (because of ticket prices) but my passengers generally tell me that $300 per person is about what to expect. That particular complaint never comes from game attendees, but usually in the form of, "I haven't been to a Broncos game in years. I'd like to go, but it's too expensive."

As you can imagine, a lot of my passengers are out-of-towners coming to see their team play the Broncos. I've never heard anyone complain about the fans here. In fact, the handful of times that topic has been brought up, it's always been just the opposite. Several groups of people have said they were pleased with how they were treated by Broncos fans, even while wearing full opponent regalia. I don't have an explanation why tkitna's experience was so different.

Tkitna, where in WV do you live? From what I can tell, Uber is available in about 1/3 of the state. You might have Uber available to you, in addition to ATVs and motorcycles.

Jamie
    spokester likes this.