My DR650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by trialstech, Aug 19, 2021.

1. trialstech

trialstech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the TAT on Honda Trail 125 (aka CT125). I started in Albuquerque and went up to Trinidad Co to catch the TAT and went to Port Orford. My buddy also on CT125 left from his house in Asheville NC and we met in Colorado. We have a pretty lengthy ride report here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/trans-america-trail-tat-2021-honda-trail-ct125-edition.1507100/
  2. trialstech

Oddometer:
    It's pouring rain today so that thwarts my plan to put some gas in the bike and see by chance if it will run... Meanwhile I've picked up my wheels from Cycle Gear where they mounted my Shinko 244's. Supposedly they balanced them however the old balance weights are still on the rim so I wonder if they actually did.

I also installed this LED bulb https://amzn.to/3nCUbLe (two pack for $40 so I have a spare...)

and it seems to work great. EDIT: SEE POST BELOW. UNTIL I GET THE BIKE RUNNING AND TEST OUT THE LED, I CAN'T ASSUME IT IS RIGHT. It took a minute to figure out how to install it (had to separate the bulb part from base and feed through as shown on this photo:

upload_2021-9-15_18-7-41.png
  3. trialstech

Oddometer:
    OK the rain let up for a little bit I decided to try and put a splash of ethanol free gas in the tank, hook up the fuel line and see if by chance the bike starts. Key on, lights on as normal, pushed the starter button and nothing. I pressed it a few more times, and nothing. It feels squishy. The other day when I put the battery in and tried the starter, after about half dozen tries it did engage and turn over. Now it's not doing anything. I suspect perhaps the switch has gunk in it and not engaging. I might pick up some contact cleaner and give it a spray, but I worry its something more than that.

Also not sure if this was normal but after a few minutes the headlamp went off. I turned off the key, reconnected the lamp connector and it worked again. And again - maybe this is corroded contacts, or what it up. Pretty disappointed, but I'm sure it can all be fixed.
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    You might take a look at the Lectron Carb, I had one on a KTM 300 and it worked well. There are a couple of YouTube reviews of one on a DR650,

https://lectronfuelsystems.com/dr-650-kits.html

Clean all connectors and apply dielectric grease to the contacts.
    I replaced my DR650 headlight and turn signals with LED. I used Blinker Genie from CustomLed.com to use my front turn signals into daytime driving lights and the rear signals into additional brake lights.
  5. trialstech

Oddometer:
    I installed a replacement kill/ignition switch thinking that was the cause of the no-start, but it wasn't. After fiddling with the side stand switch and other ideas it finally works if I pull the clutch in. I have the bike in neutral but it won't start unless I also have the clutch pulled in. I'll need to check the neutral safety switch. Meanwhile, it did crank over and it started right up. It ran a little bit rough for about 20-30 seconds, then it died. I wasn't able to get it to start again - seemed like it had no fuel. I decided to open the airbox and when I touched the air filter it crumbled. It's a whole mess. I worry I might have sucked some air filter crumbles in. I hope not. Anyway I got a new Twin Air filter and next I'll work on cleaning out the airbox and oiling and installing new filter.

I started to change brake pads but the originals look fine. The bike only has 2500 miles. So I sprayed the brake pistons with brake cleaner, and got the wheels back on. For now with the original chain and sprockets. I need to investigate if I need to trim the new chain to length, or if it came from Procycle the proper length already with the sprocket kit. My front brake is dragging/scraping a bit so I'll need to sort that out as well.

I removed the little fuel filter in the carb inlet and installed an inline filter on the hose. I didn't put the metal springy thing back on the line but I guess I eventually will. I assume it's purpose is to protect the line?

Relocated the front turn signals to clear the larger tank. - I think that's all I've accomplished so far. I took a look at the Acerbis SM front fender, I have to drill out the mounting holes and I need to confirm the spacing - the instructions have DRZ400 specs but not DR650 so I need to investigate if there is any difference.