"MY" Dual Sport Bike Ratings

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OhioPT, Dec 29, 2007.

1. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Um, I don't get it :ear
  2. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow - pretty cool you could come up with such extensive, detailed rankings when you've ridden three.
  3. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't exactly call it extensive and detailed. All I did was make a list of bikes ranked 1-10, with a few comments about each. Wow, that's extensive :rolleyes

I find it "pretty cool" that many other people here can comment about these bikes, and have not only never ridden ANY of them, but they also never ride anything more technical than dirt backroads :deal

The truth is is that I have ridden WITH people who have owned most of these bikes, and have discussed with them their opinions on their bike's pros and cons. I also have read alot of owner comments in various forums, and have read many magazine reviews on each. None of this is as informative as ridding the actual bikes, but I can always change my mind about the ranking after I ride them all. Go to any thread on this forum in the "Bike" section and you will find people commenting about bikes they have never ridden. I'm sure you have done this before too djchan, NO??

Let's face it, unless you are a magazine tester, chances are you will never have a chance to ride ALL the bikes on that list.

This is not the bible or the law, it's just an opinion of how bikes rank to ME, based on what I know.
  4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry who... me?

Oddometer:
    while i have only rode a 08 klr 650 from your list, and it wasnt single track... i did save money by switching to geico.
  5. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    LMAO, :rofl
  6. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's don't get our panties in a wad girls. I think I've speculated as well. I once told a guy his KTM525 wouldn't do as well onroad as my LC4e. That WAS pure speculation cause I've never ridden a 525. True - probably, but it really is just idle speculation. Boatload o that going on. Enjoy it!

Dean
  7. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but those are just pictures that are just like my normal travel routes. I like to travel. The ravines I cross when they link up another set of logging roads. There is 100 km of that last picture just from here to the south island if you take the hydro line. We have 80,000 km of gazetted logging roads on Vancouver Island and I intend to travel a good percentage before I die. My little final 200 meters or so before the power line is that tough and that's just getting out of the back yard.

Come play in the mountains sometime. It's insanly beautiful and the places you can get to are terrifying on occasion. Huge drops into lovely lakes ... ahh it is paradise here.

I'm not arguing about riding at all. It's just that there is crazy tough terrain everywhere dood.
  8. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Oh, this is CLASSIC. Let's see how experienced you are...(searching your posts...). Oh okay, here we go:

"The DRZ is a saner choice I'm sure but I havn't decided how crazy this new hobby is gonna get. I rode bikes for years but always on road and I have a real desire to get out back and fall down ;)."

Post #28, on 12-03-07, in this thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5810586#post5810586

TALK IS CHEAP, LYING IS CHEAPER :asshat

Like I said, show me some photos of you on stuff rougher than what I posted, I mean, once you finally get a bike :deal
  9. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thats very good. LOL :rofl :rofl :rofl

Anyways, everybody throws in their 2 cents worth about bikes they have ridden. You can look at a bike and read about it and get some idea about how it might be to ride. (And be totally wrong or right.)

Good list OhioPT.
  10. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    I guess removing the last line makes your post real ... loser.

As I said in the line you removed, I am not arguing about riding. I have been all over my area on my mountain bike and on foot. I was one of the very first mountain bikers in this area back in the 80s. Your terrain is not very impressive that's all.

As you are on a tear with this, calling people liars and searching for ammo I'll go a little further.

Getting photos to show the mountains and the ravines is pretty easy. I'll go get ya some tomorrow or the next day.

I'm not sure why you need to believe your piece of the world is gnarlyer than the rest of the world but the east is realy flat compared to the mountainous terrain we have out here. I think your pictures show pretty tame terrain actually. Check an LMS vid maybe.
  11. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Instead of ranking bikes, why don't you entertain us even more and rank psychiatric meds* in order of the their effectiveness.

*Hint: Whatever you are on NOW probably should be closer to the bottom of the list.
  12. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    No, you probably wouldn't.:(:
  13. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What the heck does your comment have to do with my last post? Your logic and reasoning skills seem extremely poor.
  14. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, great explanation!
  15. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of when I was a kid - "My dad can beat up your dad!" Jo Momma time.
  16. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've been out West. Even hiked up Half Dome in Yosemite. Not sure what hiking and mountain biking have to do with your dual-sporting and offroad MOTORCYCLE skills though. If the last line of your post that I deleted has anything to do with this discussion, then feel free to post it and explain... (waiting)...

I never said my part of the world is narlier than the rest. I DID say that there is extremely difficult riding no matter where you go. There is more "open riding" out West that justifies certain types of bikes better than it does over here in the East. There is a major geographical difference, you know.
  17. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    LOL, yeah, this is getting out of control. I'm trying to keep this on topic, but I feel a need to at least refute the asshats in this thread. I'll stop now. Back on topic please
  18. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I guess it boils down to your definition of dual sport. If it's more towards enduro, the list is understandable. If it's somewhat more towards adventure riding, the 650L, klr & such make sense too.

All I know is my 2 friends on their 650L's can smoke me on my exc 530. 'Course, another friend on his exc 525 can smoke them.

Ride what you want, where you want.
  19. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Everybody: Lighten up.
  20. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    what about this big 500 Honda Aluminumn Frame 2 smoker for your "primarily offroad list"? Fits nice on a trailer and weighs all of 214 lbs.. with 60 plus hp in near stock form. Might even make speed bumps out of those hills!:evil

[​IMG]