"MY" Dual Sport Bike Ratings

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OhioPT, Dec 29, 2007.

1. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    "I'm not arguing about riding at all. It's just that there is crazy tough terrain everywhere dood."

No wonder you removed that line. Your post makes me out to be a liar when all I did was point out what you just said.

This was about appropriate machines. You posted some beautiful pictures and claimed it was some tough rideing. I'm sorry but it really is not. The knarly uphills you post go on for thousands of feet in some parts of the world.

Anyway now I've been outed by your 31337 search skills I'll slink off and lick my wounds.

Oh yeah the block and tackle. I like to travel and sometimes there is just a ravine between me and the next set of logging roads. My mountain bike I just chuck in the ravine and slide down after it. Then I carry it or if it's steep throw it up the ravine side bit by bit and climb on out to the next set of roads. I will not give that up when I get my dirt bike, hence the block and tackle. There is a cool 4 lb comealong with 35' of wire rope that lifts 700 lb I'm looking at too.

I'm 61 now and retired so I want to seriously get out back and I figure I'm old enough to take it easy on a powered machine for a change.

I don't like your attitude much but I do like your list.
  2. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    I think you take yourself WAY too seriously. Lighten up, Francis.:rad
  3. Ben10

Ben10 Expert Trespasser

Oddometer:
    :cob
  4. Ben10

Ben10 Expert Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I was reading this same thread over at TT. Your bike choices seem to fit better with the attitude that a lot of the people over there share. I'm speaking of Plated dirt-bikes connecting trail-heads versus long distance adventure touring/KLR worship. I've been over at TT for some time and all those guy's ever talk about is " how do I get plates for ___________". Hooligans, every last one. :lol3
  5. Noreaster

Noreaster Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer:
    Now there's a shock.:huh
  6. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, alright already. Geeese boys.

PTohio, when you post a bike raiting from your opinion, thats fine. But do expect to catch alot of flack for it. After all its your opinion, some will agree and some will dissagree. But we have our opinions also.

Gnarly terrain?? LOL If anyone wants to compete in a photo contest of their bike in gnarley terrain, just say the word.:deal On that note, whoever thinks that the west coast has harder trails than the east coast, well one day riding with me and you would be changeing your mind. However someone from out west could probably change my mind also..Get it? Leave it at that. East coast/west coast, bla bla bla. I do like the east/west g-unit pictures though:lol3

Don't let your bike limit your riding, ride your bike to the limits!:deal
  7. Ben10

Ben10 Expert Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I've lived and ridden in Maine, North Carolina, Florida, Texas, Alabama, Southern California, Northern California and Alaska. I've been riding for almost 25 years. I've owned a slew of bikes and ridden dozens of others. I've had a blast on every bike I've ever ridden and no matter where I've lived I've managed to find some serious trails that kick my ass. See, all bikes are fun, and with a plate and knobby tires you can find good riding anywhere.
  8. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    well ya know what they say.. it's not the tool.. 8^)

here's some shots of me and some of my 950 friends over this past year as well

We started by riding the 2007 Desert 100 Iron Man Course in Eastern Washington in April
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed by plenty of riding in the Cascades around Western Washington[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and central Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Idaho

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but I will admit at times.. it does get a bit hairy for the big twin. Around that rock in the distance, there was a twenty foot hole where the trail used to be

[​IMG]

and turning it around was a bear

[​IMG]

and sometimes we even drop them ;)

[​IMG]
  9. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Cool pics, guys. :beer
  10. dirt missile

dirt missile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched a guy take this thing places that most people would think you’d need a “dirt bike" for:eek1
    [​IMG]
  11. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pix!!!! Man you guys look like us, but in the west!:lol3
  12. Dirtgrain

Dirtgrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, I wish we had good places to ride in Michigan. You all are damn lucky.
  13. thetoecutter

thetoecutter Cutter of Toes

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  14. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos!! :eek1 You sir, sure have more balls and skills than me, that's for sure. Hat's off to you :freaky

I don't think I'd ever try that type of riding on a 950/990 ADV, but I think it's cool as well that you do and entertain us with those pictures. Sweet!

Listen guys, I'm sorry if I've come off as an a-hole here. To be honest, I don't consider myself anything more than an average (but experienced) rider, and because of that I don't think a heavier bike is right for ME, at least not for the stuff I like to ride. If you have some crazy offroad riding skills, and your comfortable with a heavier bike, then cool, and my list probably doesn't mean much to you. As long as you're out riding, and you're happy and safe, it's all good :ricky
  15. Ben10

Ben10 Expert Trespasser

Oddometer:
  16. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Amen to that. And, I have TRIED riding that stuff on my 990 . . . that's when I learned just how heavy it is. After the fifth wipeout, I had to call it quits. I literally could not lift the bike up again. I guess I'm getting too old for this sh-t. Either that, or I need to spend more time on the 450.
  17. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad to help in your education - I consider it one of my callings.. as a big twin enduro evangelist ;)

and I actually agree with your list as you intended it for the most part.. which for the really tight single track and is why I have a nice light Sherco 4.5i that I was lucky enough to find and get plated but you kind of opened up a can o' worms there and it has nothing to do with this forum or that forum but it has to do with the fact that a lot of us here can and DO use their bigger thumpers and big twins as big enduro bikes.

You and your friends are doing great by taking on the kind of stuff most adventure riders would pass on, and while it looks impressive, it's a big world out there and there are men and women both on Adventure rider and TT, East and West, (and North and South even) that have been doing this stuff for a lot of years on everything from 50cc mini bikes to BSA's and Triumph Scramblers to big old Harely's and Indians and everything in between (there's a guy around here that rides dual sport events on a 1949 Indian Scout) and maybe that's why this thread got a little heated.
  18. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    robdogg,
    My hat is off to you for those pictures. I own a 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure S and I have no intentions to ever try anything like that with it. For me it would be an effort aimed only at destruction. I have some skill but not enough to handle that kind of terrain on a 950. Also, I'm not a big guy, you've got to me a big guy to muscle that much bike around. My 950 is going to be sold. It's just not what I thought it was. Great bike but just not for me. I'm replacing it with the new '08 KLR I just bought and a new Kawi Concours. It's nice to know that some guys actually use the 950.

OhioPT,
    Great thread! :thumb Your intentions were good and everyone has differing opinions. No hard feelings! Let's just ride! :ricky
  19. thetoecutter

thetoecutter Cutter of Toes

Oddometer:

Man I think we would get along real good!! :clap
  20. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said Holycaveman:thumb I ride a 06 DR650 and do it all and have a ball doing it!