"MY" Dual Sport Bike Ratings

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by OhioPT, Dec 29, 2007.

1. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear ya SamM.. The 950 is flat out the funnest machine I have ever owned (and I've owned about 20 dual sport/adventure bikes) but it's a large machine and can get away from ya real quickly no doubt. Good upper body strength and legs are definately helpful.. but I've seen little guys throw them around (Jimmy Lewis for example) Actually, this is my second one.. I bought my first one in early 2004 and was a little intimidated about taking it too far out on the trail as well.. so I sold it and got a 640.. but after a couple of years and lots and lots of off-roading miles, I bought another one and decided to give it a second shot.. and nothing teaches ya like experience (which leads ultimately to confidence) how to handle one of these or any bike for that matter.

Truth be told, I just sold my 950 and am moving down to a smaller machine as well (most likely a new Husky TE610 to go with my DL1000 VStrom) because of some back issues sad to say. My wife (and doctor) would probably prefer me to give up riding, but that ain't gonna happen.. so I need to shave about 100lbs off my preferred adventure machine, (and about 60 off my bod 8^)

but good luck with the KLR.. fine machines they are
  2. QUICKSILVER

QUICKSILVER Native Arizonan

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread for some time and can relate big time with a lot that's been said. I bought a XR650L for several principal reasons. It's about 360lbs wet and I can wrestle that around. It is not a plated bike (which I have had) and I really don't want that hassle again. And most importantly, it's so damn reliable that I don't have to even consider being stuck.
    I live where I can really ride off into the sticks. But to get stuck out there would be actualy dangerous. In the desert at some times during the year, to get stranded could mean my ass in a sling.

I once walked out of the desert for about 13 miles and I was in damn good shape. It was (seriously) not fun. In the condition I'm in now and at my age; that may be a real problem.

I was VERY close to buying an "R" but with the plating and the coolant issue I had to sit down and really think it out. I am not going to ride that thing at the level of what it was designed for. THAT was the major issue. I know me. I am not that good. I also ride alone often times. I would be a wee bit unhappy if I had to deal with a coolant issue in the areas I ride in.

Just my opinion, but a bike for this purpose that is not powerfully reliable is asking for a real bad day. If there is even a question of the thing not lighting up (or boiling over, or whatever), that bike could possibly put one's life at risk.
  3. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I don't ride (offroad) alone for this reason, just too much potential for injury and getting stranded. Usually, I don't have cell phone reception in the areas we ride, and the areas are so wooded and secluded, that there's typically no way to get an ambulance to the riding areas.

If I was planning a long trip to Mexico, South America, etc, my list would definately change, just due to parts availability, and serviceability. I would want a Honda, Kawasaki, of Suzuki, and something simple (i.e., aircooled). I'd probably even go for a kicker vs. e-start. XR400R and XR600R come to mind quickly, and XR650L or DR650 if I wanted e-start. I would be willing to deal with the extra weight (of the XRL or DR) for this type of ride/adventure as a trade off for their reliability and serviceability.
    See, I'm not a DR, XR hater at all.
  4. OhioPT

OhioPT Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Oops, almost forgot to add the DR350SE my my list of "reliable South-America worthy dualsport bikes". Lighter than the DR or XRL, and with a 6 spd, and just as reliable...
  5. PenGun

PenGun Old and In The Way

Oddometer:
    I did 10 miles and 1500 ft vertical yesterday for exercise. On foot, it was wonderful. It never occured to me I could not just walk out, if I was not broke, from anywhere I've been.

I'm 61 folks. It looks like most of you just get exercise from riding your bikes. Just going by the pictures eh'.