My Enfield Woodsman has arrived...woohoo!

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Tarka, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Tarka

Tarka Strangely strange. Oddly normal.

Oddometer:
    A futile attempt was made at relaxing and watching a DVD while awaiting the delivery of my new Royal Enfield Woodsman...however,more time was spent sitting upright and looking out of the window....or staring at the corner of the screen to see the reflection of the road outside....than was spent watching the DVD itself.

Finally....a big white van appeared.....covered in bike decals.

IT`S HERE !! :clap :clap

[​IMG]

Not sure what the guy made of a camera weilding maniac photographing every stage of his arrival and unloading of the bike...... :augie

[​IMG]

There she is...sitting pretty....looking far better than when in the showroom.

[​IMG]

Made the guy a coffee and he showed me around the bike while we talked bollox......then off he went back to Kidderminster leaving me to get the Mister Sheen and camera in action.....

[​IMG]

Just got the task of running in to do now.....300 miles at half throttle and no more than 60 kph :huh :huh,then build up to three quarter throttle and 80 kph for up to 600 miles.
    Good job there`s plenty of lanes around here.

[​IMG]
  2. Fudmucker

Fudmucker ex-lurker

Oddometer:
    :huhOdd routing of the 'zorst..what's under the seat that it needs to go through...?
  3. Tarka

Oddometer:

Actually,there`s nothing that it`s avoiding...it is done that way to replicate the original 1950/1960`s Woodsman model,albeit 'on the other side'.

The original Woodsman was one of those badge engineering things that go on between car/bike manufacturers.
    Royal Enfield made the bike,with high bars and raised exhaust in the 'Street Scrambler' style popular in USA....but the bike was actually badged as an INDIAN.
    So,the Indian Woodsman was actually a Royal Enfield.

The modern..only released last year...Electra 500 Woodsman,which mine is, was constructed as a sort of modern take on the old bike.
  4. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy! :thumb
  5. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting pipe arrangement. I don't think that is offered in the 'States. Can't tell from the pictures- are you sporting rear-sets there?

Good-O, eh? What?!
  6. Tarka

Oddometer:

Hi Uncle Ernie

Pip pip,wizard show,what,old bean ? :D

The Woodsman footrests are quite rearward mounted compared to the standard Bullet.
    I think they are in the same position as on the Trials model.
    They make a massive difference.
  7. bkrmoto

bkrmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why, oh why does the rest of the world get all these cool bikes and we get more fugly, shiny, plastic shite? Nice street scrambler. Beautiful bike.
  8. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lovely bike Tarka !

Will you be using it for any gentle green laning once its run in ?

Hope you have lots of fun on it.
  9. Tarka

Oddometer:

Thanks, 'Montford'.

Thanks go to all the other guys,too.

Much as I`m not too interested in off roading a solo bike (unlike my Ural combos which make me look for unsurfaced tracks),I may well be tempted to do some gentle snuffling along the odd easy green lane on the Enfield.

Whether or not it does actually go off road,I`m going to fit some trials type tyres with the 'proper' tall aspect ratio (like 3.75x19 or 4.00x19) to it to make it look better...you can see how the modern profile street tyres on it don`t quite look right.
    Handling won`t be compromised if I avoid big chunky knobbly type tyres.
  10. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am unlikely ever to ride a RE Woodsman, or even see one "in the flesh" here in the states, but I have to say that's what a motorcycle is supposed to look like.

Congratulations.

If it were mine, it would go onto some rough byways, gravel, and dirt.

Any chance you could post a video so we can hear that doggy growl?
  11. Tarka

Oddometer:

Cheers,Cordless.

I think it sucks that there are people around the World in your situation...unable to even see,never mind sit on or actually BUY a bike freely available elsewhere.

There are a few Enfields you can hear on YouTube but no Woodsman models (there`s a fairly similar sounding Trials model but it`s the old 4 speed right side gearchange one).

I`m on 12 hour shifts in work this week,but I`ll try to get a soundbite done over the weekend if you want. :evil
  12. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Cordless, there are 3 dealers in MA.

Mr Tarka, I found today that your centerstand rubber bump-stop just pops out and you can put a swatch of old innertube in it's place. That raises the centerstand about 2 inches- in case you have trouble scraping yours in turns, as I did.

Too- would sure appreciate it if you could post a close-up of your pegs and how they mount. I'm very curious.
  14. Tarka

Oddometer:
    Uncle Ernie...that`s very useful advice...thank you.

I`ll take some photos when I get home tonight and post them for you.

(Not sure about your local time,but as I post this it`s 7.20 am.
    I`m working 7am - 7pm,but will go into the garage and take the photos this evening.)
  15. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    :clap

Dayum! I luvs me some Enfield.

Here's my favorite Enfield vid.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vhrIgy6jFE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vhrIgy6jFE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  16. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Putts! :clap
  17. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:

geez louise.... he's good! makes it look easy.... almost makes me wanna get a dirt bike.....

tanks for the clip! :D
  18. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    The thing that amazes me (and I may be mistaken) is that it sounds like he shifts into second going up the hill. Those Endfields must have some serious low end torque.
  19. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    some torque indeed! and that was the 350cc, not the 500! Impressive stuff, both the man and machine.:clap
  20. yamadude

yamadude lost platoon

Oddometer:
    something about that video just gets me all excited...:cry
    nice enfield man..... if i didn't have 18 bikes in the garage I might have to run out and try to find one. A buddy of mine keeps trying to get me into trials riding.