My experience with Erico Motorsports for new purchase

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Lord Explorer, May 16, 2018.

1. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *Update #2:
    Erico picked the bike up from my house yesterday and refunding my money. Being a brand new model with a mechanical issue that could not be diagnosed, I am happy with the outcome and appreciate Erico stepping up to make me happy by rectifying the situation. I think they did a very stand up thing by taking the bike back for a full refund. Also, thank you to all you fellow inmates for your insight!

*Update:
    I received an email today from Colter at Erico, before I was able to call them. They are offering a full refund due to the issue and the fact they can’t fix it. Seems like they are going to do the right thing. I’ll post up the final outcome once it is completed, but for now it seems they are going to restore my faith in their customer service.*

I thought I should share my recent experience with Erico Motorsports in Denver in case another inmate is thinking of buying from them. (see all updates to this situation)

I purchased a brand new moto from them 10 days ago. I dealt with Kurt, who I think is a good guy. He was very helpful in my unusual search criteria. However, my experience since has not been good.

I was the first, and only, person to test ride the bike I purchased (it had two miles on it), a new Scrambler 1100 Sport. It was the day the 1100s arrived in the dealership so they asked me to keep the test ride to under five miles and 15 min, which I thought was fair in case I was not the person to buy the bike. During the test ride the engine was making a clattering noise, which to me seemed like it was the throttle body, identical to the noise heard at idle in the attached video review below. Other than that, the bike impressed me. I mentioned the clattering noise to Kurt upon my return. After some back and forth I put a deposit on the bike to think about it over night. I told Kurt that I wanted the clattering noise looked at and fixed if I was to buy the bike.

So the next day I head back to finalize the deal, at which point I asked if they looked at the clattering noise. Kurt stated they did and all was good other than “normal break-in noises”. I finished the purchase, which took way too long to wrap up. I take the bike home. The whole way home it made the clattering noise and it got worse. At home I call Kurt pissed off. I demand to ride it back to them immediately and leave with them to fix. The purchase was made on Saturday so they had my new bike until they reopened on Tuesday. I didn’t hear from them at all Tuesday so I call an hour before closing to get an update. The service manager tells me the noise is definitely not normal but that there were no fault codes thrown, so they called Ducati who didn’t have an answer for them. Now here’s the f*cked up thing, the service manager tells me there’s nothing they can do until a fault code is thrown, even though the bike is making an obscene amount of noise that is clearly not normal. WTF!! Who cares about a code! Obviously the brand new bike you just sold me has a f*cking issue. Fix the damn thing!

They tell me to take it home and ride it and maybe the noise will go away. Well, 200 miles later and the noise is far worse. It’s so loud that it’s all I hear with ear plugs in and over the exhaust (which is quite loud for stock). It sounds so bad that I don’t enjoy riding the bike. My new bike purchase is completely tainted by the noise and this experience.

Since Erico seems so willing to sell a bike that clearly had an issue and then unwilling to take the time to fix it, I am now thinking of having my attorney contact them to demand that they buy the bike back. I’m going to call the owner tomorrow to give them one last chance to make it right. Hopefully he does what’s right, which to me at this point is to buy the bike back.

I’ll update once I talk with the owner.

2. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably should have walked from the very start. "Normal break in noises" was the first clue.......That video sounds awful, nothing normal about that. I'd guess timing chain related.

Since thats too late now, it sure sounds like the dealership has an incompetent service department. Can you contact Ducati directly and explain the issue and lack of response from the dealer? I know Ford corporate is really good with escalating warranty claims when dealers are unresponsive. Just an idea.

Sorry, cool looking bike though!
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Christ that sounds bad. If the dealer has another similar bike ask to hear that one run. Doesn’t help your cause if it sounds the same, or say much for Ducati qc. Pretty sure if you've gotta crank bearing half disentagrated you won't be throwing any codes until you get one for an empty oil pan.

Break-in noise . LOL.
    nomad_games likes this.
  4. Lord Explorer

Lord Explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other two models they had did not make the noise, and they even acknowledged that fact when I went to pick it up from service
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I'm no Ducati expert but the frequency of that sounds very much like valve train, it's possible that could get much worse and never throw a code. Let's face it, the ecu is primarily concerned with ignition and fueling. There's not alot of circuitry devoted to keeping an eye on the mechanical stuff.

They assume the real mechanics can figure that out on their own like they've been doing since well... forever.
    =o&o>, BobintheMtns and Magus like this.
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does your bike sound like the bike in the video?

OTOH - I had an issue with my Tiger Explorer (air leak between the throttle body & head) while on the road. Erico took me in, fixed the problem (took all day to dismantle the bike to the point they could get to the problem and then put it all back together). They kept me appraised of the status during the day and the whole thing was covered by warranty. Not happy that I had to kill a day there, but more than happy with their service. This was in 2014.

As in all things in life, YMMV. Hope you get it sorted.
  7. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Mechanical issues don't throw codes until the engine explodes , get it in writing or recorded and they need to state their name and that they know you are recording , that they told you to ride it until a code shows then blow it up so they have to give you a new motor also mention that you expect it to self destruct as it's not getting better with breakin .
    dirtydoug likes this.
  8. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmington, New Mexico (Four Corners Area)
    Yikes.
  9. Krang

Krang Rides with hippies

Oddometer:
    So the only option is to wait until the motor locks up on you? That's a hell of a liability they're taking on.
    Sburke and Merfman like this.
  10. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the post, looking forward to the resolution but I, personally will avoid this shop like the plague... good luck!
  11. USMC_Engineer

USMC_Engineer E-A-G-L-E-S

Oddometer:
    That sucks man! I hope the owner of the business takes care of you when you head back up there.

I would be so damn pissed if I were you, brand new bike n all!

Good luck and keep us posted.
  12. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So it’s kinda hard to tell from your video, but to those of us who have older Ducati’s, one of the allures is the dry racing clutch. Your bike is quiet compared to my oldev 00’ and 01’ models. I have had people come over and wonder what’s broken on my bikes because I run them with an open clutch cover and lightweight clutch pack.
    Most newer Ducatis run a wet clutch for noise EPA reasons but the quick research I did looks like they repurposed that engine from the older Hypermotard which ran a dry clutch. The bolts around the clutch cover were my clue cuz I can’t make out the noise easily. Wet clutch Ducatis don’t have the removable clutch cover.
    Any older Ducati mechanic or owner would know all this. The noise should reduce when you let out the clutch in gear and start moving.
    If it is the clutch, and I’m 99% sure it is, you’ll learn to enjoy it as mechanical music :raabia
  13. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    I've been in a similar situation with a new Triumph. It's irritating for sure. Talk to John Beldock. If he's unwilling to help (which I highly doubt) then go to Fay Myers, Boulder Powersports or another Ducati dealer to resolve the issue. You've got a warranty on the new bike, use it.
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    They all do that.

:hide
    joe a likes this.
  15. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    If that was the normal Duck noise you'd think the shop would be familiar with it.
    BobintheMtns likes this.
  16. Sburke

Sburke Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not cool how the shop has treated someone who just bought a new machine, but that sounds like typical dry clutch clatter to me.
  17. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That scrambler has a wet clutch.... tambourine music should not be emanating from that motor......
  18. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    First they tell you it need to break in. Service manager tells you it does NOT sound right, then they tell you to take it home and drive it. Is this a dealer or Comcast customer service you were chatting with ? Sounds to me they have no interest in tearing into a new motor or even want to deal with a diagnosis. Seems they want the thing to grenade then they will deal with fixing the mess, or have Ducati replace the motor. I'd be back there asap and demand a refund or new bike. who knows what further damage has been caused by the 200 miles and more on that clunky motor.
    Blakebird and BobintheMtns like this.
  19. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This.
    And if they try to give you any flack ("you've already put miles on it"), then tell them the next phone call will be from your lawyer.
  20. youngan

youngan -------

Oddometer:
    Just to clear a few things up:
    The video in your post is not YOUR bike, but one from a magazine review, correct? I see the Italian plate, so I’m guessing this was done during a factory-sponsored test riding session. Were you able to read the review that accompanies the video? What did they say about the noise on THAT bike? Presumably they would have asked the factory reps about it at the time.

I’m actually hearing a few different sounds. I agree with the earlier post that some of it sounds like valve train; in fact, it seems to be most noticeable when the camera is close to the cylinder head on the horizontal cylinder. I’m also hearing some of what sounds like the normal Ducati dry clutch noise, though if Bob is correct and it’s a wet clutch, then that doesn’t make sense. I also hear a bit of a rhythmic squeak/slight squeal in there. I’m wondering if that is from one of the timing belts. If they are adjusted too tight they will do that. By the way, can’t be timing chain as someone mentioned earlier, because this bike doesn’t have a timing chain; it has two timing belts.

Of course, remember, all those noises are on the bike in the video, which is not YOUR bike. Are you saying that yours sounds just like that one? If so, then it seems that one of two things is going on: Either they have made the same mistake(s) at the factory on at least two bikes (and perhaps a run of them) or the noises are typical of the model. Of course, you said two others at Erico did not have the noises, so that seems to rule out the latter. Did you get to listen to those other two? Maybe you can get Erico to swap you for one of those...