My eZuma project (Electra)

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by MJSfoto1956, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it was me, I'd lay the bike on its side to see how vulnerable the controller is in a tip-over or moderately severe low-side. If it's in harm's way, I'd see if I could fabricate a crash bar to protect it. That way a bad day isn't made worse by destroying your controller and making the scoot unrideable.
  2. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the wiring came together in no time.
    Next up: find a place within my crowded junction box for this puppy.

IMG_8670.jpg
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  3. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Spent the afternoon re-wiring the junction box to accommodate the new panel. Along the way I added some (long overdue) waterproof glands. Unfortunately, the re-wiring dictates that I need one more M32 nylon gland, of which I have nothing available. As such, I have to "hard wire" the primary circuits for now until that gland comes in. Thank God for Amazon -- it should be here by Tuesday.

In the meantime, I have a ride scheduled tomorrow with a couple from church who ride Harleys -- I told them I'd show them around the 'hood and they were down with that. Wiring mess aside, I should be good to go.

IMG_8678.jpg
    Vegas800XC likes this.
  4. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Took her out for a nice ride around "The Hills" today with friends Ken & Carolyn. A picture-perfect day. Bike ran great too. She seems to use about 1.1Ah per mile doing the speed limit as currently configured.

IMG_8680.jpg

Oh, that's me on the right of course.
    Mr. Vintage, chainslap and Vegas800XC like this.
  5. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    I found some really cool stuff for those of you who want to modify the plastic components on your bikes. It is called Apoxie (see: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J03Q5W/) and it is available in either white or black. I found this product is great for reinforcing broken plastic and/or shaping a new form within or around your existing panels. In my case, I wanted to cut a whole in my floorboard that would give me full access to my electric junction box. Trouble is, the floorboard is thin and needed to be reinforced. So I mixed up a batch of black Apoxie epoxy putty and formed a "lip" around the edge of the opening and let it cure overnight (be sure to use nitrile gloves while mixing/applying). An even cooler aspect of this stuff is that it can be smoothed with water while it is curing -- basically just like clay. Anyway, I'm happy with the result. YMMV.

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg
  6. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    So I finally finished all the main wiring into and out of the junction box as well as tidying up the plastic panels to accommodate it and I think it looks pretty good. Lots of other tweaks here and there, too numerous to recount here, not the least of which was repairing some of the broken plastic that the former owner inflicted on this puppy. It's getting close to the time for me to install the remaining panels and leave things "as is" until wintertime when I can implement some other mods at my leisure.

IMG_8712.1280.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

M

P.S. the APT AE96600 controller has turned out to be an excellent match for the QSmotor 8000W V4 hub motor. And while large, it fits nicely on my scooter.
  7. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    For those interested, here is a cross-section detail of the junction box and its relationship to the frame and plastic panels.

junction box mounting detail.v3.jpg
  8. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that you've mostly finished it up, what does it weigh? Is it significantly more than the original machine? The performance increase is impressive.
  9. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    I have no idea of the actual weight. I'd need to find a weigh station somewhere -- maybe I can convince the folks at the town dump. My guess is around 240lbs, but perhaps a bit more. Needless to say, if I were to add a bigger battery (which I would like to attempt) then that number would go up. One last thing: recall that the original bike had lead-acid batteries so I don't believe this is all that far from original.

M
  10. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    And here she is mostly all buttoned up. Rides like a dream. 60+ mph on flats (much more than I need, btw). 50 mph up hills, 50-60 mile range depending on how I ride her. In the future, with a 150% bigger battery, I should be able to get 75-90 mile range. But that is at least two years off. In the meantime, I now have a solid and fun every-day, errand-runner. For me, the key is reliability over performance any day.

_D8B5462.1280.jpg
  11. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    11 months later...

As a recap, I picked up this pathetic 72V AGM 2000W Chinese Zuma clone back in September 2018 from Craigslist on the cheap.
    While it was only one year old at the time, the owner had abused the bike royally, but I didn't care as I had other plans.
    Eleven months later with a bunch of sweat equity, I created the bike I always wanted, and she rides like a dream.

Before:

_IMG5416_DxO.before.jpg

After:

_IMG5416_DxO.after.jpg

M
    flinders_72 likes this.
  12. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    So here is the list of upgrades that I applied to "Electra" over the course of the past 11 months:

_IMG5416_DxO.Electra.jpg

1. PUIG windscreen
    2. Webike mirrors
    3. Reverted to cable-operated throttle + remote Hall throttle body
    4. ProGrip gel grips
    5. Acerbis hand guards
    6. Amber turn signals
    7. Dual PIAA automotive sport horns with relay
    8. 13" aluminum rim
    9. 110/90-13 Pirelli Diablo front tire
    10. CNC kick stand
    11. CNC swing arm
    12. QSmotor 13" V4 8000W hub motor
    13. 150/70-13 Pirelli Diablo front tire
    14. Custom fender
    15. Progressive rear shocks
    16. APT AE96600 24fet controller
    17. Custom 72V 57Ah battery pack with Anderson connectors
    18. Waterproof junction box with power distribution, 12V & 72V fuses, 72V circuit breakers, DC-DC converters, high-current DC contactor, Zeva smart precharger, and PowerVelocity Bluetooth module
    19. Rear stop light wing
    flinders_72, kpinvt and Vegas800XC like this.
  13. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exceptionally well documented!
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  14. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Now that everything is running well, it is time to start planning on improving the charging situation.

Currently I use a cheap 5A charger that takes about 8hrs to fully charge my pack. It works, but is slow. So far so good.

Notwithstanding, I want to have more flexibility on the road. As such, I'm starting to design a modular solution. A key being that for the foreseeable future, 90% of my charging will still be from home. But I do want to have the flexibility of charging on the road in the future. And that means having adapters for RV, Welding, and even Dryer outlets as there is no "standard" 240V plug here in the USA. Later I can worry about J1772 compatibility as there are no commercial charging stations nearby currently anyway.

Fortunately, I already have a 240V outdoor receptacle about 10m away from where I work on and store the bike. I figure I can get a 50ft 240V L6-30 "extension cord" to charge the bike until such time when I can afford to move the 240V source closer.

As such, my modular plan entails the following:

eZuma charging.v3.1280.jpg

One thing is for certain: 240V components are not cheap! :eekers
    Comments, alternate sources for 240V components, and/or improvements welcomed.

Michael
  15. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Funny thing just happened: The guy I sold the original 2000W motor + controller to just contacted me and showed me his creation:

IMG_20190827_080203-edit.1024.jpg

IMG_20190827_080146-edit.1024.jpg

Nice to see things being recycled, huh?

M
  16. Vegas800XC

Vegas800XC POS

Oddometer:
    Somewhere a KLR is missing it’s crate...
    wheresbaoskee, MJSfoto1956 and Mykola like this.
  17. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's gorgeous...
  18. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    I'm not happy with the useless console that came with the bike -- not the least of which the LED turn signals are shot and not working. I'm contemplating creating something more useful. The key is having insight into the battery status as well as temperature status. For that I'm considering adding a CA V2 and some temp sensors. I've ordered the updated speedometer console from AliExpress (the bit in the center of the sketch below). When it arrives, I'll need to figure out how to mount everything so that it looks "original". But I'm likely to leverage black HDPE as a mounting panel as it is very machinable and waterproof to boot.

Curious as to your thoughts.

dashboard IMG_8517.v6.1280.jpg
  19. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Well that is a happy coincidence. The empty gas-filler opening under the seat is a perfect fit for a NEMA L6-30P 30A 240V inlet. This will be just the ticket for level 2 charging. At 25A that would be 1.8kW which is a huge jump from my current 5A charger. Anyway, I'm starting to collect the bits and pieces to make it happen eventually. Note that the charger would fit under the flat part of the underseat compartment as shown in the photo.

IMG_8849.1280.jpg

M
    Buckstoy likes this.
  20. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    After doing some homework I've finally ordered all the parts needed to build a custom dash console to replace the useless one that came with the bike. Here's my latest design showing before/after. Note: the panel holding everything has yet to be determined. I'd love it covered in carbon fiber, but I may start out with something simple like HDPE.

IMG_8916 speedometer dash concept.before.jpg

IMG_8916 speedometer dash concept.after.jpg

P.S. the links to the AliExpress items are as follows:

Note 1: the Coulomb meter is not waterproof from the factory -- I'm going to have to come up with something

Note 2: the Speedometer dash does not come wired for 3-speed (even though the board supports it). I'm going to have to do some basic soldering to add that...
    Vegas800XC and wheresbaoskee like this.