My eZuma project (Elektra)

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by MJSfoto1956, Sep 16, 2018.

1. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, I've already started sketching the layout for my next battery pack, which will have 150% more volume that my current one. This will require significant mods to the center stand as well as the under-seat storage area.

IMG_8077.1280b.jpg
  2. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Well, I have to say, this eScooter both accelerates faster and has higher top speed than my 150cc ICE scooter. I think I have a keeper. Even the regen works well to keep the battery level topped up when coasting.

IMG_8089 (1).jpg

P.S. I think I'm going to need a bigger and better looking front rim.
  3. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    I just had to replace those cheap Chinese clone "hand guards" with something more substantial. These are serious motocross hand guards, which I had to perform some significant grinding/drilling in order to fit the much smaller scooter handlebars. I like the look too, especially as it maintains the homage to the original Yamaha Zuma/BWs 125 gestalt.

IMG_8100.jpg
  4. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Today I replaced the pathetic, single cheap scooter horn with dual PIAA sport horns, powered via a relay by a dedicated 10A DC-DC converter. Man they are loud! This is a sweet upgrade for any motorcycle.

[​IMG]
  5. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what's the 0-60mph time on that machine?
  6. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Haven't measured it yet -- still tweaking things.
    But I can absolutely state that 0-50 is much faster than my ICE 150cc scooter.

On a related note, the other day I went for a 25mi round trip and it used 25% of the battery (i.e. it went from 50% to 25%).
    I wonder if that suggests that I might be able to get as much as 75 miles out of this puppy (assuming I baby it)?

M
  7. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    So I just took a quickie 3.8mi test around my neighborhood with some runs up/down various nearby hills.
    • Temperature was 80°F/26.7C
    • Charge was at 91%
    • PowerVelocity 20kW 100V controller, limited to 82A battery, 230A phase
    • QSmotor V4 8000W hub motor
    • 57Ah 20s 17p li-ion battery pack
    • Approximately 284lbs/129kg bike weight
    Recording of the PV app screen (see link below) shows 61mph top speed on this particular run, which is more than enough for my purposes.

Vimeo link:

M

P.S. This puppy is much faster than my 150cc ICE scooter, which will be put up for sale soon.
  8. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Some more progress on little details:
    • I found a used PUIG windscreen for cheap, then modified some of the clear plastic to fit the scooter's tight dimensions.
    • Made a custom mount for the license plate out of black HDPE
    • Took a nice 30 mile round-trip to get the bike inspected -- given their reaction, I don't believe they had yet seen an electric bike come in for inspection
    Next up:
    • I need to build a custom ventilator for the battery pack. Likely going to use a computer fan and some PVC pipe.
    • Add a new 13" rim with 110/90-13 Pirelli tire to match the rear
    • Ditch the cheap, twitchy Hall Throttle in favor of a mechanical throttle linked to a potentiometer

IMG_8133.jpg
    Ditch likes this.
  9. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Still waiting on some other parts, but the tire came in from Revzilla during the interim. So I mounted the 110/90-13 Pirelli Diablo onto my new VMC 13" rim -- the look now matches the rear wheel and I suspect will ride much better too.

Now just need to work on customizing the wheel spacers and speedometer hub dust shield...

IMG_8162.1280.jpg
    wheresbaoskee likes this.
  10. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Well, not surprisingly, the Chinese parts I ordered almost match but not quite. The older wheel was just 12" diameter. The newer wheel is 13". Both are classic "GY6" designs. So far so good. But the 13" wheel is slightly wider by about 13-14mm. I've drawn a line on the 12mm axle shaft as to where the 13" rim aligns flush.

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

Additionally, as shown above, the new rim has a provision for a 40mm diameter speedometer hub (which is not needed for an electric bike of course). Thus I need both shorter wheel spacers and some sort of custom dust cover/spacer where the speedo was to go. Well, I just so happened to have a (correct style) spare speedo in my toolkit!

Here's what it looked like (note: only the central core spacer and gears are metal, the rest is a silver-painted plastic housing):

Speedo-Speedometer-Hub-Drive-Gear-GY6-4-Stroke-125-150cc-Moped-Scooter.1280.jpg

And here's what it looks like after I cleaned it of all grease, removed the gearing, filled the cavity with JB Weld, and hacked it with my Dremel and sander. (Note: I don't own a lathe)

IMG_8150.jpg

And finally, how it looks painted gloss black and fitting snugly into the new rim. (Lesson: when given a lemon, make lemonade)

IMG_8166 (2).jpg

Next up, mount the wheel and work on waterproofing the junction box and controller power connections.

Michael
  11. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Mounted front wheel looks sweet. A big improvement over the original wheel that came with the bike. Eventually I'll upgrade the calipers but for now I still have plenty on my plate.

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_8180.jpg

Michael
  12. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    So I'm not at all happy with the "feel" of the cheap, twitchy Chinese eMoped/eScooter throttle that came with the bike. On a lark, I ordered a cable-operated Hall throttle from AliExpress. I also needed to order a few other bits to "retrofit" the electric-throttle to become a gas-type, cable-operated throttle. Unfortunately, the widths of the old gas-throttle housing and the new electric-throttle housing are slightly different. This will need to be addressed. In the meantime, the updated throttle has a much more familiar "feel" and I consider it a decent upgrade.

Note: Neither a Magura nor Domino-style throttle would fit on the already-crowded eScooter handlebars, so I had to go this route. YMMV.

IMG_8239.1280.jpg

IMG_8241.jpg

M
  13. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Man, that was much more involved than I care to admit. To deal with the discrepancy between the dimensions of a "traditional" GY6 mechanical throttle versus a "new-fangled" eScooter throttle, I purchased a left and right pair of GY6 handlebar housings in the hope of fashioning a combination of old and new. And with a lot of little tweaks -- and much thanks to Mr. Dremel -- I got it done and it looks great!

Here are the replacement (gasoline-style) housings I purchased via eBay:
    s-l1600.1280.jpg

Here's the finished product, combining the gas-type throttle parts with the eScooter throttle (Note that I used steel wool to remove the graphics):
    IMG_8284.1280.jpg

And here is the before and after housings, side-by-side:
    IMG_8281.1280.jpg

Here's the insides of the finished product (note that some of the mounting points for the switches and housing mounting points didn't align):
    IMG_8285.1280.jpg

And here is what it looks like all complete:

IMG_8287.jpg

IMG_8290.jpg

IMG_8291.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

IMG_8299.jpg

Michael
    kpinvt likes this.
  14. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Here is how I mounted the AliExpress cable-operated throttle + hall throttle to my bike:

throttle _D8B5367.1200.jpg

Sadly, still waiting for my controller to arrive... :(
  15. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    OMG. Being somewhat desperate, I ordered an APT AE96600 controller directly from QSmotor last week. Arrived last night. They programmed it specifically for my motor (or so they said) so it was basically "plug and play". What a difference! While the AE9600 is ridiculously too heavy and big for an eBike it fits just fine on my eScooter (see photo). And together with my updated Manual-cable-to-Hall-throttle it is smooth as can be. I can "feather" the throttle just like an ICE bike. I'll give it a real test run tomorrow. But so far, this is a keeper.

IMG_8580.1280.jpg
  16. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Not surprisingly, a little tweaking was in order. The AE96600 controller as programmed from the factory assumes you have a 300A BMS and that your battery pack can discharge gobs of power on demand. The 8000W V4 motor can handle it. The controller can handle it. But my battery pack was originally designed just to do errands and is constrained by both the battery cells (4.85Ah max) and the BMS, which is limited to 150A. Needless to say, when I pushed the bike hard recently the BMS shut down when I was going up a hill. Sure enough, the controller was asking for more than 150A and the BMS did the right thing by shutting down. So with a bit of cajoling, I obtained the APT software and with advice from QSmotor made the following changes:

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 9.34.05 PM.jpg

Now she runs fine (albeit a touch slower) and I don't expect to see much in the way of the BMS complaining going forward. However, sometime in the future I'm going to need a bigger battery + BMS! [​IMG]

M
  17. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Slowly I've been further tweaking the software with real-world tests in-between. Currently I'm running the following:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 12.04.46 PM.png
    flinders_72 likes this.
  18. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    So the APT AE96600 controller that just arrived from QSmotor is a keeper and both much more powerful as well as much smoother running than my previous controller (which sadly bit the dust). Notwithstanding, I really like the PowerVelocity Bluetooth iPhone app with all its functions -- so what do do? Well, I'm going to add some custom electronics to my mix so that I can get the PowerVelocity Bluetooth app to work in "read only" mode. Here's the wiring diagram. Just need to order the various bits and pieces.

Shunt detail.1280.jpg

Note: the 1A glass fuses are an insurance policy to prevent any "accidental" 72V power from reaching anything else. For those wondering why I'm doing this: 72V will arc through common auto blade fuses, basically making a fire. Glass fuses like this won't arc.
  19. MJSfoto1956

Oddometer:
    Here's what the APT AE96600 controller looks like mounted on my bike. Man this thing is huge! (and heavy too -- 16.4lbs!!!!).

IMG_8650.jpg

Note that I used 1/2" HDPE to mount the controller to the body. Great stuff.
  20. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more components and you could start a business doing mobile welding. That's a serious set of modifications you've done. Now if you could build a new version of the ALTA enduro the future would be terrific.