My F800gs STALLS LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by chunter, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    the connectors popped right out once the bike was started. I'm going to try and get a replacement air box. looks like there is on ebay for $75 shipped. its just 2 weeks away which is tight for my upcoming trip.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    JB is a little too brittle and doesn't bond well enough to plastics. If you are worried about the trip, not much to lose trying the goop, provided you keep it warm while curing and give it a few days to build strength.

I have re-assembled shattered plastic saddle bags using Goop.... they never cracked again, even when carrying 3-4 times their approved weight in milk jugs home from the grocery store. That said..a new a/b would be best and provides peace of mind.
    Not trying to add stress, just passing on my experience(s) with this pretty remarkable stuff.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  3. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ordered airbox from eBay, $50 plus $75 rush delivery.
    i got lucky, someone is parting out a 650.

still cheaper than the $234 for a new one plus shipping.
    hope it gets here in time. coming from canada.
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that, can be frustratingly slow getting things through customs. At least you're not dealing with the Christmas rush of packages. Hope it arrives in time.

Also be prepared to pay a "brokerage" fee if they didn't ship via Canada Post / USPS, which could be about what you paid for the part, unless that's built in to your rush delivery.
  5. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fellow riders, I am in Lima, Peru right now and experiencing some stalling issues with my bike. 2010 with 86.000km on the clock. Happened the first time two or three days back in the mountains of Huaraz. The bike would surge as if it was running out of gas, then start going again (without completely stalling). This went on for a while until the bike stalled completely. I was 60km from the next town in the mountains. My first thoughts were a) fuel (as I had gotten gas from a can, but it been running fine on that for 200km) or b) height (as I was at around 4.000m at the time, although the bike never had problems with altitude before). Clueless as what to do I inspected the bike and noticed the oil cooler etc. were covered in mud, so I cleaned that with water from a spring (immediately boiling upon contact) and let the bike sit for 20 minutes. After that it was running fine and got me out. Two or three days later I made my way to Lima to get the bike to BMW for doing some service (bike was without problems during those days). It was running fine all day, 400km ride. As I got into Lima I got into heavy traffic, hot weather, slow moving bike. Bike started surging/stalling again. The bike is now at BMW and I explained them the problem, will need to see what is going on. But does this indicate a bad fuel pump?
  6. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump seizing when hot was definitely the problem I experienced, and it was without any question resolved by replacing the pump.
    NaMi likes this.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Mine did the same thing. In my case, I was lucky. The problem ceased after running one tank of known good fuel with the BMW brand engine cleaner added to the tank. This is, I'm told, the same stuff as Techron which is sold by Chevron. The problem has not re-surfaced now after another 5 k kms riding.
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is fuel pump getting too hot. You can eliminate that by filling up and see if the problem goes away.
    Could also be partially plugged injectors.
    The more ethanol you run the larger the chance of corrosion or small alu flakes running down stream plugging the injectors.
    ThE latter not being a symptom of a hot engine but compounded by a failing fuel pump.
  9. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Yep, replacing the fuel pump. And since I cannot easily source it in Lima and don't want to be stuck here I have the bike at BMW. And my god, do they fuck you over good on that pump.
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you.
    But as you are on a great journey the fact that you can soon move again makes all the pain go away. I wish I had to guts to hop on a trip like you did. :beer
    shuswap1 and wipe-out like this.
  11. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Well here's a chance to learn from my mistakes. Touratech Peru in Lima could have changed just the fuel pump for a fraction of the cost. Too late for me unfortunately.
  12. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    what actually went bad, your pump or your fuel pump controller ?
    it's possible touratech may not have been able to replace the fpc if that's what actually failed on you. OR if they only replaced the pump the fpc may have died on you down the road.

sunny side up.. motor on...
    wipe-out likes this.
  13. AlexCarmoRider

AlexCarmoRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Wipe-out..
    I'm riding at north of Argentina right now, with a fellow and my problem is the same and just happens (never had this before)...I was running north at route 40 (well graded gravel pavement) at 2000 meters high. I, hopefully, luckily I made it to Cachi, and a little patience because the bike stalled lots of time...
    Then my fellow, have the brilliant idea to check the treads at ADV Rider and I found your post that could save our lives and our trip....I checked the oil cooler and it is really hot, even after several minutes parking....
    Now we are hosted and tomorrow morning we'll execute your steps to the oil cooler.. clean and refresh... Thanks a lot....
    Just you now... Tomorrow we going up to 4000 meters to "Abra del Acai", the second highest mountain pass in the world until get San Antonio de los Cobres... luck us...
    Regards and have a nice trip...
    Alex
  14. wipe-out

Oddometer:
    Alex, after what happened to mine I don't think the two were ultimately related (oil cooler/stalling). I think letting the bike sit gave to fuel pump/fpc a chance to cool down. And as I made it down to the next village and filled up with gas the new gasoline kept them cool. Just saying. Don't get lost, if you have a chance to check out the fuel pump/FPC where you are do it. I am not sure how fast it could be failing completely or if you could be going for a while.

I am currently at around 3.200m and hoping the weather will allow me to attempt the Abra Loncopata tomorrow or the day after, runs up to 5.119m (http://www.dangerousroads.org/south-america/peru/4865-abra-loncopata.html).

Safe travels!
  15. NaMi

NaMi Mirko

Oddometer:
    I think the problem is a clogged fuel filter. After replacing the filter at 85Kkm problems disappear. Now I am at 108Kkm without problems.

DSC00233.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG I doubt that the problem is the oil cooler, because the oil is cooled by the water "1" (11 53 8 524 136 HEAT EXCHANGER).
    OilCooling.jpg
  16. AlexCarmoRider

AlexCarmoRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Wipe-out...
    I think the same about oil cooler, after we talked, I discover that there is two valves at the pump circuit: 1st is ventilation valve and 2nd is safety valve (respectively #15 and #3 below). In my bike, the second one dropped inside the tank and the 1st was blocked by corrosion. I disassembled the fuel pump unit, and "fished" the part of this valve inside the tank...
    So, In my case the ventilation valve was blocking tank to breath (this breathing is controled by safety valve), and when I ride more than 150 km (half tank), it came to vacuum and the pump was not able to squirt gas to engine.
    Even I replacing the fuel pump, tank still came to vaccum after I cleaning the safety valve and reinstall it. So my solution was take the valve off till I found the solution....
    I think is good for you take a look on this, just in case...
    Best Regards, and ride safe...

P.S. Mechanicals from my local BMW Assitance did not knew this part, believe it.!!!

16_0692 - FUEL TANK/MOUNTING PARTS [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. AlexCarmoRider

AlexCarmoRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Nami, good morning.
    where is located this fuel filter? ´cause according to local assistance, brasilian models has not this filter, what I think weird anyway !!!
    The only place I think is possible to have a filter is after the pump and before the fuel outlet pipe. am I write???
    and about activated charcoal filter, what do you know about?
    Regards,
    Alex
  18. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    you are correct..

[​IMG]

*edit*
    and you don't have a charcoal canister.
    it would be strapped to the inside of your frame here..

[​IMG]
    NaMi likes this.
  19. AlexCarmoRider

AlexCarmoRider n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot @dpike ... my only concern, now, is that Local BMW Assistance does not sell the fuel filter by itself, only with complete fuel pump kit what is insane (price).
    I´ll trie to find at e-commerce...
    Regards.
  20. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: