My fall scooter adventure

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Wolfeboats, Sep 30, 2019.

1. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about this, but took a fall on Tuesday so I'm out of commission for the next week at least.
    Then it will be very light duty for another I'm thinking.
    Bummer !!
  2. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Sorry to hear that, Doug. Hope the healing goes fast.
    kpinvt likes this.
  3. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  4. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heal up quick Doug.
    Does anyone know of an area near Blowing Rock NC / Blue Ridge Parkway where I could park my truck while I ride the scoot on the parkway?
    Wife & I are thinking of taking the scoot's up Saturday. I've only ever ridden big bikes up there & just leave the house on them.
    Fancy Gap VA would be another option, both it & Blowing Rock are about 2 hrs from home in Charlotte but I'm also not sure of parking there either.
    We would not have a trailer, just the Tundra & a Versa Haul hitch carrier.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am not that familiar with the area but there is a Wally World in Boone. I have often left my truck in Wally World parking lots for the day.
  6. DandyDoug

Oddometer:
    There is a discount shopping center in Blowing Rock it has a big parking lot. You should be able to leave your truck there with no issues. There is also a small parking lot right at the entrance to the BRP as you leave Blowing Rock. If I remember correctly there is a parking lot near the BRP at the Boone entrance also.
  7. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, looks like there will be some options once I get up there. I appreciate the info
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I ride the day trips into VA,NC & TN from near Marion, VA I ride over there but if I hauled my scoot I'd simply use the motel or the CG. A nice state park, which might just be a hard vacancy in leaf season is on VA58 east of I-81. I keep pushing the rides in that area because they are among the best to be found and edge on where you guys are talking. They do lack the toney towns with the high dollar retail spots. One of my favorite rides I catch from it's northern end riding from home in eastern KY to Tazewell, VA then south to Marion. It IS one of the better eastern MC routes anywhere. Another I use to ride homeward is over the mtns in VA just below Marion from I-81 westward to the Breaks Interstate Park. the riding around Linville Falls, Linville Caverns in NC and on the nearby BRP are also part of those rides.
    Our family bicycle trip two weeks ago we stayed in Abdingdon,VA and moteled it. There are some very good food spots there and a great atmsophere of colonial bldgs. The famous old hotel in town, "The Martha Washington Hotel" we couldn't get in and it will be the same in leaf season tooas it stays booked. We rode from White Top mtn on the NC/VA state line down to Damascus, VA a small town sort of rebuilt around the bicycle business and the Virginia Creeper rail trail there. Neat area indeed! Lots of parking as people shuttle bikes via two vehicles, etc. and many cabin rentals too. Very scenic and surrounding Mt.Rogers the highest mtn in VA and slopes and great riding extending for many miles.
    As you near frost dates and later in October the many fir tree farms will be trailering their trees to concentration yards so not just leaf folks going slow there in that entire multi state area at elevation.
    Again: www.visitvirginaimountains.com under the trails header. The people that put these rides together are mostly members of the BMWMOA I got to know but many ride scoots and other brands too-real riders indeed. The Dragon is on one edge of these rides which are mostly ~ 200 mile day trip routes radiused in a circle around Marion as the center. I-81 is fast but clogged with trucks, not a place I like much but do use it there some.
    Count me out if the group rides the weekend of Oct 25th as thats a family camping weekend at Big South Fork in TN, otherwise it's a maybe for me.
  9. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A nice write up and pics.....thanks!!!

I remember we used to tow our 15' boat over The Dragon to Fontana lake in 1959. Never saw a car or bike on the Dragon then :)

fried okra
    The Virginian likes this.
  10. Dark

Dark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made it up to the Parkway on Sat. I parked at the outlet mall shopping center in Blowing Rock and had a nice afternoon of riding. A good bit of traffic up there & not much color but a good day on the GTV.[​IMG]
  11. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great shot!