My first 950 oil change...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Vance, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Next time I'll let you borrow my factory service manual. There are no 'thingies' on 9-fiddys...:rofl

And if you think the oil change was fun, you'll just love the valve set job.
    I'd recommend you start by looking for a metric vernier caliper set. I wore myself out going back and forth with english/metric conversions. Beware...some dealers only keep shims in the service dept. You are then at the mercy of the service 'director' to sell you some. :eek1

I completed a valve set at 13000 miles and only needed to change three on the rear cyl, and none in front. The front cyl is a biatch to get to...:cry

Also, next time...do yerself a favor and wear latex gloves. Getting your hands in old oil is NO Bueno!

Pointman
  2. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Vance, one more thing here. There is a crush washer on the drain plug. It has a tendancy to stay stuck to the resevior and not come out on the plug. How do I know, you might ask. after doing my first change, putting the whole thing back together I poured out the old oil and there it was looking back at me from the waste oil pan. I look under the bike and sure enough, drip, drip drip. :baldy After another hour to pull everything back apart, pull the plug while trying to keep all the new oil I just put in from draining back out, replacing the washer and reassembling everything it was done. BTW, KTM says to replace the crush washer each change. Mine looked fine so I just put it back in and it has run the next 3000 miles with no leaks. It's now time for me to do another change, I'll be a little more careful this time.
  3. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    I don't even take the body work off, I've got a vac pump rigged up with a hose that I just stick down into the bottom of the tank, turn the pump on and let it suck all the oil out of the tank. It will clean it to the last drop and remove any debris in the bottom of the tank, takes about 45 seconds.
  4. Vance

Vance On my meds...

Oddometer:
    Good point. 2 crush washers (one on each drain plug) and the little o-ring in the oil filter housing. I change them about every other oil change on my bikes. Seems to be fine. There is also a little "gasquit" or tiny green rubber line of goo? Whatever...on the right side oil screen cover. Looks permanant. I wonder if this needs to be replaced occaisionally? Mine looked good. I just wiped some oil on it and put the cover back on.
  5. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    So I have to buy an autoclave (behind the ace mechanic) to change the oil in the 950?

Now THAT wasn't listed as a special tool in my manual! :D

Dave
  6. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    We do tattoo's, also.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I just got my new for me 950 and am amazed at the oil change routine. Do you use the suction pump and the engine sump drain plug only to drain the bike? That is, can use a pump to pull the oil from the hole where the oil dipstick is, drain the engine sump, change the filter and that's an oil change? Do you ever clean the screens in the tank?

I really don't want to spend a whole day doing an oil change.
  8. alimey4u2

alimey4u2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a note of beware to those that use reusable (everlasting) oil filters.
    Ensure that your cleaning technique prevents the inner portion of the filter from being contaminated with the filtered material.

Many engines have been wiped out by dunk, splosh it around & refit, thinking all is well. What has happened is that those nasties that the filter so cleverly removed have been deposited on the inside by the mechanic. Upon initiation of oil flow they are then freely liberated to cause havoc.

For that reason & that reason alone, I use disposable filters.
  9. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    It's not a KTM, someone made a comment about how, as bad as it is, a 650GS oil change wasn't near as bad as a 9fiddy, it was in reference to that.
  10. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    Who gives a shit what you think? :lol3
  11. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl

DD, I think the same folks are listenin' to both of us... nobody.
    :wink:
  12. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    You are too enthusiastic in following the manual!! You don't need to undo the bodywork, only the undercarriage protection bashplate!! My mechanic is changing oil in less than 15 min!! Told me that the manual reccomends all this procedure and that's why they charge the enormous cost for oil change, but it is not nessecary!!
  13. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    tru dat.

I've found that one seldom needs to remove the plastic side guards from the aluminum bash plate, for instance. Just undo the 4 bolts that hold the bash plate and its all off. Or, just undo two of them and swivel the bash plate downward out of the way.

I don't really think it is necessary to remove and clean the two screens everytime, afer the initial change, either. That makes draining the oil tank easier and cleaner. Saw on this site, where somebody cut a plastic soda bottlein half and used it as a drain trough for the oil tank. This does not even then require removal of the left fuel tank and cowl.
  14. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i finally did the complete deal at 7500 miles and there was a gear tooth and some other smaller fragments in the screen:lol3:lol3
  15. Tobers

Tobers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to revive this old thread...I just did a "quick" oil change on my 04 950S. Thanks to the tips on this thread I saved a whole load of time. It went something like this:

- removed left side crash bar whilst bike warmed up
    - loosened rearmost bolt on left tank to get some movement at the bottom
    - removed bash plate by undoing 2 front and 2 rear side bolts
    - drained "sump" oil
    - concocted strange plastic drainage thing from a plastic mouthwash bottle
    - drained oil tank via plastic thingy directing oil forwards into collector bucket
    - checked oil screen/sieve on lower right side of engine
    - didn't bother with the other oil screen - too much hassle
    - put it all back together - no crush washers this time - must do next time!
    - refilled with 2.5 litres
    - ran engine for 4 mins
    - topped up with about 0.5 litres

Took about an hour - I'd do it in 45 mins next time now I know what I'm doing and I have my strange plastic thingy.

Thanks all for the help :D
  16. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I rode that Orng KTM in Hot Springs and really haven't stopped thinking about it ever since.... but this thread helped! Holy SHIT!!! And I was bitching about the tupperware on my FJR this weekend!!! YIKES! Hope the 9FiddySM is easier- it remains on "the list".
  17. Eldon

Eldon 90% Bike 10% Rider

Oddometer:
    As you hug your KLR we will be blowing by you on a real desert racer. that is why we spend the time on them. they are worth it!! :2guns
  18. HomeMadeJoe

HomeMadeJoe always wondering (mind)

Oddometer:
    ouwy, that hurt!..Yes I can't spell. so what.
  19. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    Did my first oil change after buying the beast and riding it home from California. 5800 miles on the clock. The magnetic plug on lower engine was coated with filings as well as about a dozen tiny flakes/bits clinging to it.
    Lower oil screen was almost clean, just 3 tiny metal flakes. Oil tank strainer/screen had quite a few tiny flecks of metal around the lower end and ariund and inside the green silicon gasket. Also, the magnetic post on the oil tank drain was completely coated with just about 1/4 inch of whisker like metal filings.
    I will do the quick change every other time from here on out, as the full deal was time-consuming. Anyhow, I wanted to see the screens and plugs for myself and insure they were cleaned properly.
    Also good to get a close look at how the beast is put together.
  20. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    You find a sump arrayed with metal filings and elect to do complete oil service only occasionally? :norton Interesting logic, there.... I'd think you'd shorten the interval until it settles down. Hell, it's your money.:lol3