My first 950 oil change...

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Vance, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    I jumped to the conslusion/assumption that the screens/plug posts had not been carefully cleaned on their first change. The lower plug and the lower screen are quick and easy to deal with. The oil tank drain can also be opened without removing the left fuel tank. Anyhow it was the lower ones with the most debris, and yes, if they are nearly clean next change, yes it will only be a "quick change.":norton
  2. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    Am I understanding that the tupperwear on your FJR plays some factor in oil changes.....'cause on my '05 FJR, oil changes are a breeze (maybe 15 minutes) and the tupperwear is not a factor at all, 'cept wiping a bit of oil that drains on a tiny piece of fairing beneath the oil filter??
  3. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Oil change on the FJR is 5 mins, tops- I was wiring up an aux plug and a fuse panel that weekend- and that entailed removal of a lot of tupperware.
  4. Centerline

Centerline USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer:
    For sure, removal of the FJR tupperware is a puzzle maze what with the order of removal and differing styles of fasteners.
  5. marin ktm

marin ktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did my first oil change just like that. At 250 miles. I don't see the need to remove glove box, side panel, gas tank, etc...?
  6. marin ktm

Oddometer:
    I did the 15 min idle maneuver too and it seems like the bike is sweet at low rpm creeping now...what a night!
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I bought a $9 suction device from a local auto parts store. A full oil change is maybe 15 min.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    So - did you change the filter?

And do yourself a favor and clean the screen sometime soon. Could save some problems in the future if it plugs up. It's not that hard. You should get to the point where you can have the tanks off in about 5 minutes. Not that hard once you get used to it.

Dave
  9. marin ktm

Oddometer:
    I changed the filter (looked totally clean), cleaned the flat screen (didn't need it). There was one tiny metal fake on the magnetic plug.

I will clean the oil line screen next time. It does not seem like it will be required to remove the tank or body panels for any part of the oil change. Maybe I am missing something.

I am taking off in a few hours on an 1800 mile trip down the coast, over to Death Valley for a couple of days, then back. That is why I changed the oil now, at only 250 miles. I will be late at getting the valves checked, but at least wanted to get a look at the filter and get some new oil in there.
    The oil that came out looked kinda wierd...almost like it had some water in it.

This is shaping up to be the best moto trip of my life...an awsome street bike to get there, and a dirt bike to explore the back roads and trails once I arrive. Could this be the first dual-sport that is actually really competent and fun at both?
  10. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I changed the oli and filter on my Sm950 today and had to put in 3.4 liters to register barely over the minimum mark on the tank.And that is with warming up the engine to 4 bars and then letting it sit for a couple of minutes.I put in 2.5 liters just like it said in the manual then a warm up.Still nothing showed, so added another .5 of a liter still nothing,then i added another .4 to put it just over the first line.Of course i did have all the various plugs and filter and screens out for over 1 hour so maybe had a good drain?
  11. Lost Again

Lost Again Fresher Meat

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing (once) and now I know better. Do not measure your oil level when you see 4 bars on the temp gauge. The temp gauge only measures the water temp, not the oil temp. I got a similar "low" reading and over filled the oil. Bad mistake. She smoked and cursed me like a little bitch. And I had it coming too. You must warm the bike completely (ride the damn thing for 10 mins.) before you take an oil measurement. On my 950 adventure, I just keep the oil level at the bottom of the stick now and all is well.

Now you know.

Also, when the oil is fresh and new, it can sometimes be hard to see the oil on the stick. I used a clean paper towel and slowly drag the stick across the edge of the paper. When the paper gets wet, then you have your reading. Hard to describe, easy to do. Or, you could just get a pair of glasses, like I did.

Ride on.
  12. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, i see what you mean.I was going by the manual for warming up to 4 bars.Maybe i will take a wee bit out:lol3 Like maybe .4 litres.Mine is the SM so i don't have a dipstick but do have a sight tube:D But she ain't smoking now and don't want her smoking in front of my riding buddies:lol3
  13. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Very helpful thread for a new 990 adventure owner. I was able to go in confidently and get it done (with the owners manual near by for torque settings etc.). Thank you to the OP for the helpful pictures. The only trouble I had was a leaking fuel line after buttoning back up, from a bad clamp. Took nearly twice as long as it needed to, to make the fix (replace clamp). I did the screens and they are no big deal once you have the tank off. Next time it should be a breeze.
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did my first oil change on my new to me 2010 990 R. Jeez, this thing took a lot of fiddling.

This thread was great though. The 2X4 deal worked the trick. I pulled that aluminum piece of artwork at the front and was able to drain the tank into my catch pan once I propped on granddads old tool box. Found a brand new red rag inside I'd left there back when I went to the track:clap
    I don't want to use it. It is so nice and clean and pretty. :lol3

Everything went smooth as buddah right up to the point where I was re-filling the oil.

I'm thinking I should probably not try and put the whole 3 liters in at once, since none is in the motor....:evil

Then I just kept on pouring....

Ack! What a fucking mess. OK, maybe four tablespoons of really expensive oil, (Former GS Adventure rider, so I'm cheap).

:baldy

Then getting that piece of fine sculpture back on with the crash bars.... A screw that goes through a slot in the crash bars then a big spacer, cause the crash bar almost works then the bit if sculpture, (This POS could be plastic, it is a fucking fairing, it hides the connector to thte battery and my side stand switch thingy), nothing else.
    I'm thinking this bike is really German.:lol3

I got everything back on, but left the bashplate off, (Weld86, that OEM thing looked like I might break it during this oil change.:rofl).

Oh, and the drain plug on my oil tank is a 13mm.

[​IMG]
    KMS6 likes this.