My first adventure ride - the TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PittsDriver, Jul 4, 2015.

1. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read your RR often when preparing for my own . . . thanks for all the good info and photos!
    PittsDriver likes this.
  2. jjr66

jjr66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PittsDriver likes this.
  3. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That link isn't working for me. I haven't seen it but would like to visit it.
  4. jjr66

jjr66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way we rode through the San Juans in Colorado on the TAT always left me feeling like I'd missed some great riding there. By the time we were descending out of Cinnamon Pass we all felt we were a bit on the clock to make to our stopping point in Moab so we went straight on down into Silverton, had dinner, and boogied on to Moab all in the same day. I thought I might get back there someday but wasn't holding my breath. Then, last fall I convinced a few of my friends to meet me in Durango to ride the CDR and the COBDR over a week. One moment from that ride is depicted here on top of Cinnamon Pass:

[​IMG]

I sat there reminiscing about this TAT ride we had done nearly 5 years previously; how difficult we all thought it was to get up there; and, how easy it was this time arriving at the top almost by surprise. Was it because the road up there was much easier? I thought so - maybe they cleared a lot of the scree when they cleared the pass of snow. Or maybe after 5 years of ADV riding in some gnarly places, it just didn't seem like that much of a challenge now. Maybe both.
    Bucho and jdub like this.
  6. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looked like on a previous post you did this last ride on a KTM 690 Enduro? That had to be a different kind of ride in this stuff than the KLR you rode the first time. I'd think that contributed a lot to the different (easier) feel this time.

Like you'd also mentioned before about riding the TAT on the KLR vs your R1200GS, I go through the same decision process with my DR650 vs R1200GS. On more rugged stuff, the DR will be more enjoyable while the GS will require more effort and concentration but be far better for cross-country pavement. First world problems and all that. :D

BTW, great RR!
    PittsDriver likes this.