My first Airhead - R100/7

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by katit, Sep 13, 2021.

1. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Joking of course, I've got a few laying around. I usually attempt to make my own since I'm a masochist, but Northwoods is an awesome resource.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  2. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do make most of my own when needed. Got lathe and welder, can make pretty much everything I saw in boxer2valve videos. It makes it so much more interesrting.
    Texer likes this.
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    An exhaust nut wrench is not something you want to make. the rest you can make. The northwoods stuff is home brew but cleverly designed and very well made.

Don't "rebuild" the carbs. Don't clean the tank. Don't drop the pan. Do rebuild the forks if you want something to monkey with, the rubber in them has dissolved. The carbs will want a few fresh o-rings at some point, this takes 10 minutes each and is done with the carbs on the bike. Running some cleaner in the gas will get them clean enough. But drop the bowls and see what is in there. If there are varnish deposits in the bottom of the bowls then the carbs will need to come off to have the passages sprayed through with carb cleaner. You remove the carb bowls by flipping the bailwith your fingers. Do this at negotiation time. Varnish or corrosion? make a long face and point it out to the seller as eevidence of the poor mechanical condition of the rest of the bike. Do replace the fuel lines.

You have the blue owners book. Do the full major service.
    Disston and katit like this.
  4. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey!

Indeed, nothing special. But nice nonetheless.
  5. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting approach! I was going to buy exhaust nut wrench of course :) Big difference between simple laser cut plate and those factory like ones?
    I was referring more to other stuff for bearings, seals, clutch, etc.

Why don't "clean" tank? At least look in it, right? :) And make sure nothing there. Maybe flush with fresh gas.
    Why not drop a pan? It's not a big deal since oil change will be needed anyways. Wouldn't this sludge on a bottom get mixed with new oil? Or you suggesting just put cheap oil run it couple cycles and replace again?

For carbs my plan was to blow all of the holes. Or maybe not. Anyways, I wanted to start it with minimum effort and then go from there.

I assume tires and brakes will need to be done regardless
  6. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for road trip to pickup R100. Any suggestion on uhaul trailer to get? I used their 5x9 with ramp and it worked great for 1 or 2 bikes. Now it's going to be 2 day trip (with trailer) and I wonder if any of their enclosed trailers might be better (for safety) but not sure. Any advice?
  7. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone else interested - 2 bikes fit. But they have to be in 69 position :) And about 3 inches clearance between and inside.
    It was a looong trip WY-MO, but we visited Yellowstone and bikes were above my expectations. Owners very nice people and I am so glad I bought it from them. I was on a fence about black one. But got it for the good price.

I tarped them at first, but tarp was gone in 150 miles or so. Bikes got some snow (in WY), some hail (in CO) and some sun (in KS). Overall - great shape, just need good cleaning.

I think I will start new thread about black one because I want to get it to run first..

Attached Files:

Jim K in PA likes this.
  8. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now about red one (100/7). Bike is in EXCELLENT shape. There is pretty much no rust visible anywhere. Owner was very meticulous about keeping everything maintained and in order. I have 7 folders of various airhead records and notes (guess no internet back then, hah?) Have detailed records of all services.
    No reason to believe it is not 16k miles bike. All stock items included (seat, blinkers, rear amber blinker covers). Some extra parts too. Stuff in every storage in fairing and toolbox. Spare cables, spark plugs. New spare points. New tach (electronic) in a box, he said the one on bike started to act.

Picture of brake lever included!!!

IMG_5056.jpg IMG_5059.jpg IMG_5060.jpg IMG_5063.jpg IMG_5066.jpg IMG_5069.jpg IMG_5097.jpg
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  9. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @katit - you did very well. Looking forward to following the reboot process for both bikes.
    korinthias likes this.
  10. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    That brake pedal looks way better in your photo than the earlier photos. Glad it checked out.

I’m curious how that carb sync tool works on Bings. I have one that I used on my dual carbed VW Beetle. Never knew I could use it on my Airhead?!
  11. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, me too. It was in a box with 100 parts so I assume it was used for it..
  12. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    X2! Edumacate us!

Sweet score! Stuff that sits for 30 years in a dry place is very different from stuff that sits for 30 years on the coast.
    katit likes this.
  13. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel like I travel in a past. And I gained huge respect to the previous owner. There is folders and folders with information assembled from different magazines, highlighted, notes. DayLong seat wasn't just "buy it". There was samples of materials, photos of owners sitting solo and two, documentation, warranty. Very cool and old school.

There is receipts of all paid services. There is notebook with every oil fill and so on with about 100 mile frequency....

While going through all this - forgot why I came to garage. There is so much. Yes, today we have internet, but it's something else.
    Every THOUGHT is documented. He knew what is wrong with a bike and there is a page full of notes what to pay attention to and what might need to be checked.

Too bad they stopped riding for health reasons. But they are still alive and that is great!

IMG_5126.jpg IMG_5125.jpg View attachment 3244596 IMG_5123.jpg IMG_5122.jpg IMG_5121.jpg IMG_5120.jpg IMG_5118.jpg IMG_5117.jpg
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  14. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More stuff. Every pocket, every storage piece was packed with stuff. (BMW towel wasn't on a bike, it was stored separately)
    I have at least 3 sets of points, 2 extra bulbs, about 10 fuses. Tire kit, rain gear.

Looks like bars were moved and raised a little. To me it feels cramped with my 6 1 height. Will need to put it back to stock position.

1. Do I understand correctly those thingys (with black plastic) is to sync carbs by shorting?

2. How do I open tank? Whole thing spins. I can turn key 180 degrees but doesn't matter position whole cup just spins. How do I operate this thing?

3. What is that plastic thingy velcroed right on top of steering wheel plastic cover? Black round with display on it..

4. What to do with those fairings? (Vetter). I don't need them, any value?

IMG_5133.jpg IMG_5132.jpg IMG_5131.jpg IMG_5130.jpg IMG_5129.jpg IMG_5128.jpg IMG_5127.jpg
  15. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    1. Yea, looks like shorting tools.
    2. Sounds like the tank cap is broken. Common problem. The cap on my r80 broke like that too. I had to jam a small screw driver into it to remove it. Then I bolted to two pieces together. Lock never worked again, but the cap went off an on. Google will afford numerous solutions.
    3. Looks like a cheap digital clock with a dead battery. Normally the steering damper knob would be there. However, with the bar backs the knob no longer lines up. So the PO likely just plugged the hole and attached the clock to it.
    4. Dumpster. You won’t even be able to pay someone to take them.
    katit likes this.
  16. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    You hit the PO Mother Lode! I just had cryptic notes with the /7 and nothing at all with the /6.

As to #4, I love my naked /6 but I'm also liking the Luftmeister (Vetter Windjammer copy) fairing on my /7. You should keep a fairing on one of them.
    katit likes this.
  17. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Looks like you’ve got yourself a treasure trove of airhead archeological artifacts. Fun!

Looks to me like there is already a hole drilled in the tank filler cap. This is probably how the PO removed the cap rather than leaving a permanent screw. I’m guessing if you insert a small Phillips screw driver or nail and spin it until it engages with the hole in the inner piece it will spin off. Make sense?
    katit likes this.
  18. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed, all that documentation is a good sign the bike was well cared for. Something I always look for in a purchase.

Unless you have plans for a X country trip one day, fairings are best suited for the dumpster. I had one on a /5 and /6 years ago. I did use the fairing on the /5 when I did a 3 month x country and it was great to have. Once you are familiar with the procedure they are not too difficult to install and remove but it's not something you'd do multiple times a year.

Cheers
    katit likes this.
  19. katit

katit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    10-4 gas cap. Will check it when get home. Is this lock repairable?

Spent half day today driving with trailer to get IDOD on 2 bikes (one at a time). Now I have all paperwork which should let me get MO titles for them.
  20. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Very nice machine! What a great intro to BMW ownership.