My first hack, or heart trumps brain?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by thechief86, May 29, 2020.

1. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You get Blackie working yet? I got pistons for you.
    brstar and Bobmws like this.
  2. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I got curious about the suspension on the sidecar after buying those used shocks for the tug, and learned how the electric tilt works, and also found that the hack itself looks to have a *just about* new progressive suspensions monoshock on it, with the preload on the lightest setting.
    This is pretty cool! I should be able to dial that in with my Honda takeoffs, and get the suspension pretty well balanced between the two.
    I still have a lot to learn about lean-out and tow and all that, but from what I could come up with, with some chalk and a tape measure, the tow-in is set at just over a half inch, and the lean-out is variable with the little momentary switch on my left handlebar. As long as the other stuff with the suspension works out, this thing will probably cruise pretty well, if the things I've read over the last few days are understood correctly. I'm not the type to just assume everything was set up correctly by the PO, but rather to double check before I even ride the thing. Might as well, I won't have my ignition parts for another week, due to.slow shipping in the midst of a crisis...
    brstar likes this.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    $30?? I like your style!

Easy to get "lean" and "lean out" confused. The linear actuator will raise and lower the sidecar suspension and, since the bike and car are one rigid unit, it changes the lean of the entire rig. But "lean out" will remain unchanged. Lean out is a measurement of the sidecar wheel to the bike. If you put the rig on a perfectly level surface, then measure the bike and the car wheel and find both of them to be perfectly vertical, then that's 0° of lean out. In an ideal situation you'd want the car wheel to be vertical and the bike to lean out away from the car.

On the other hand, if your lean out is not set up correctly you can use the linear actuator to lean the bike one way or the other to compensate. But this is a bandaid and not a proper solution. I'm having this problem right now on my GS rig (something must have changed in my set up - don't know what) so I need to re-do my set up.
    Strong Bad, Bobmws and thechief86 like this.
  4. thechief86

Oddometer:
    A little more research reveals that my sidecar came from Hannigan Motorsports in Murray, KY, about 45 minutes from where I bought the rig. This is kind of interesting, especially seeing the price for the car and all the options and installation fees on the Hannigain website, for the exact same car I have. I got this rig for about half what the guy paid Hannigan for the sidecar, setup, and extra options, and even got a pretty cool motorcycle attached to it!
    I can't wait for my parts to come so I can start working towards a test ride.
    Bobmws likes this.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Age old story. Here's mine - guy paid Hannigan $13,000 to install an SP2 on his 2007 K1200LT (with 11,000 miles). This included a steering mod, car brake, linear actuator etc. Over the next three years he drove it 1500 miles then sold the whole rig to me for $10,000. That's crazy. In the next 4 days, I doubled the mileage on the rig!
    3legs, Bobmws and thechief86 like this.
  6. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Wait, you rode 12,500 miles in 4 days? I call bullshit lol.
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Doubled the RIG'S mileage, not the bike's. 1500-mile ride home from Colorado. Awesome fly-n-ride.

ridehome.png
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I actually knew what you meant, just being goofy.
    I'd love to see the NorthWest someday. I've been all over the country, but for some reason, your corner has eluded me. Maybe one of these days...
  9. thechief86

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I took my seat and tank off, and found a few neat things, such as the source of my sweet solo seat, and some other modifications that were done to the electrical system to accommodate the sidecar, and the GIANT commercial truck battery in the trunk of the sidecar.
    I also found a few loose connections that could very well be the reason the PO couldn't get the bike to start for me, thus driving the price down so low.
    I love the detective work that goes into reviving old stuff with questionable repairs and modifications. I can't wait for the weekend so I'll get some time to dive in and start the process. 20200604_200850.jpg 20200604_200905.jpg
    Bigger Al, steam powered and Bobmws like this.
  10. Geno89074

Geno89074 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice Rig!!
    The vw style steering stabilizer you have should help quite a lot with handling.
    I have a similar set up on mine, like night and day difference in ride quality.

ENJOY!!
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    WEEKEND UPDAAAAAATE!
    Did lots of troubleshooting today, and found that my ignition switch was bad, so I replaced it with a universal one (since the guzzi one is basically the same thing with a fancier key). Then I installed my new Dyna III electronic ignition, and some new Dyna 5ohm coils, and set static timing based off rotor position and timing marks on the flywheel (this took forever because I had to look at the timing marks and turn the engine from inside the sidecar, haha.)
    After doing all this, I decided I was ready to try starting the beast! Nope. No spark to the right side cylinder. Dammit. Some more creative metering and test lighting and engine spinning reveals that one of my little sensors in the distributor has crapped the bed before it even made it out of the box.
    So I requested an exchange on Amazon, we shall see how much time this wastes...
    I may go ahead and run it with the stock points and condensers if I get impatient.
    I also tried my vtx1300 shocks, and they made me proud that they were so cheap, because they are nowhere near stiff enough for a big block Guzzi with a heavy sidecar.
    I'll shelf those for another project in the future. I ordered some heavy duty shocks from Drag Specialties that have a higher spring rate than can be achieved with the Harley air shocks. If these end up not working, I'll send them back and spend some real money on something, I guess...
    My brake parts came in today, so I'll probably tackle that system tomorrow.
    I worked on the thing all day today and made zero progress other than getting reliable power through the ignition switch and to the coils.
    At least I know now what it's going to take to get it running when the next batch of parts makes it here. Until then, I can get the brakes working right, and spend some time actually riding my other bikes.
    I guess anything worth having is worth waiting for...
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the Honda shocks. :(
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Lol I shoulda known better. They would be fine without the hack.
  14. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a box of old shocks.
    Some cheap.
    Some nasty.
    Some both.
    And separately I have some nice ones for future plotting and scheming.
    Nothing ventured.
    thechief86 likes this.
  15. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Today I started down the linked brakes path, and made it as far as to find that the bleeder in the proportioning valve is snapped off. I got the master cylinder installed, and all the other bleeders opened without issue. This one is snapped off, so I'll try to get fluid there by cracking the lines open there until I see fluid. If I can get the stuff to move and give me pressure, I should be in good shape as far as a flush goes, but if I end up having troubles, I have a friend who has done the dance a few times. If I have to buy more parts, I'll be throwing the linked system bits in the bin, and converting to conventional front/rear braking. My sidecar has a brake disk, and a bracket to bolt a caliper to, but no caliper or line. I'm tempted to ring up Hannigan and inquire about what all I need to get that system working. I know many sidecars have no brake, and this one apparently is setup for it but has never had one either. Maybe I won't miss it, lol.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Actually, you can delete the "lol" at the end there. Lots of rigs run with no brake on the car. With dual discs up front, you won't miss the car brake. Though, when they work well, they're nice to have.
    thechief86 and Bobmws like this.
  17. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm jealous as hell!! I've always had a hankering for a Guzzi (Airhead BMW guy, after all) and have been hack-curious for a while. This is going to be sahweet once you get everything sussed! Might could have to ride it out West for steaks and beer. :deal:drink
    thechief86 likes this.
  18. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Today I got my new Drag Specialties shocks installed, after drilling the eye bushings out to 14mm to fit on the Guzzi. (They are for a Harley and came with 1/2" bushings)
    These are gonna work great! Even on their softest setting, they are better sprung than the air shocks at full pressure, and these things really have some good damping!
    I believe they're gonna hold me and the hack up perfectly. Woohoo!
    20200612_185301.jpg

My second ignition came today, after the first one didn't work, the Amazon seller did a return and sent me a (supposed) good one. Tomorrow I'll try to get that installed, and try again to hear this sexy Italian pig's oink!
  19. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Update on the Brakes:
    With the help of another guzzi owner buddy, we got the linked brake system bled and working with fresh, clean fluid, and good pressure.
    The front brake had good pressure, but nasty fluid, so I took a rag and soaked up the nasty fluid from the reservoir, refilled it with fresh stuff, and began trying to bleed it. Now there's no pressure, and no fluid movement. My next trick will be to remove the caliper, put a block between the pads, and raise it above the master cylinder before trying to bleed again. This worked quite well when I upgraded the brakes on my KLR. Maybe it'll work here.
    Once I've got brakes and ignition fixed, I'll be ready for a test ride!
    High Octane, steam powered and DRONE like this.
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get an irrigation syringe and push fluid from the calipers up to the master.
    thechief86 likes this.