My first restoration - '81 TS185 - tons of questions

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Honeybadgers, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers n00b

Oddometer:
    I've got an old TS185 that I want to get started on, but the frame and engine need some exterior love first. I was wondering how you guys prep an air cooled engine? Also, what do you use to strip the old paint from an old frame? I have a few wire wheels and they've done absolutely nothing to the finish for some reason :huh

Also, my rims are pretty gnarly. what would you guys suggest for cleaning 'em up?

The whole bike was pretty damned rough, but I got it, titled, for $60, and unstuck the engine overnight and got it to fire up after a quick light honing. It's got a bolt welded onto the toe lever for shifting, the seat pan is solid rust, but it's mostly there.

This is my first restoration, so I'll have a lot of other questions, but I want to get started on restoring the parts that I feel will be hardest, first.

The whole bike has been disassembled now, all that's left attached to the frame is the kickstand.
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always get frames and other painted parts blasted and powder coated, if you do this make sure the company you use is familiar with motorcycle parts and knows where to mask off before painting. If you plan to paint it yourself find somebody to grit blast it first, this will get all rust off of the frame and usually expose any cracks, dents and other problems.

Depending on how bad the rims are I would start by cleaning them up using wire wool and a mild abrasive polish.
  3. Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers n00b

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to skate by without getting anything blasted, due to financial limitations, but if that's the only really solid way to get it done, I'll look into it.
  4. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    I started on my Stinger frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I basically sanded it down with emery cloth, wire wheel and used a cleaner and primed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then Rustoleumed it.:D

[​IMG]

turned out ok for a rider and not looking for any trophies at Quail Lodge. I hope it holds up. I recommend making sure your surface is sanded very smooth, the paint will show every blemish, mine has a lot.
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    An 81 TS is not exactly vintage quite yet,but if you really like the bike it sounds like youve got a project.