My first solo camping trip: bike or truck?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by mylastbike, Jun 18, 2020.

1. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I've been camping like twice before, never owned my own equipment and it was with other folks. I finally have all the basic gear and I'm planning to take my first solo camping trip on my family's property in the mountains 8 hours away. Being the first time I've gone camping solo, should I do it on my bike or take the truck? I'm not concerned about overloading the bike or not being able to carry everything I need, but using a motorcycle as the means of travel adds a level of complexity onto my maiden camping trip. I'm thinking it may be less overwhelming just to nix the bike from the equation this first time and just figure out how to camp on my own, but what do I know! Another concern I have is how well I'll be able to sleep. I struggle to sleep in my own bed if the thermostat isn't set just right, I'm sure sleeping on the ground is going to be a rude awakening (pun intended). An 8 hour bike ride home running on very little sleep would be downright dangerous, I'd feel better in the truck if I was drowsy from a restless weekend.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you have to ask then I would say.. truck..lol
  3. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, I've lived a sheltered life haha

What most people did as kids I'm just now exploring as a 30 year old!
    gmk999 and ExodusRider like this.
  4. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Camp in your backyard first night - identify what you need during that night. Go big. Bike.

Edit - probably the most important camping accessory is the camping mat - either a thermarest or one of the new fangled blow up ones - don't leave home without one. I have one which is almost as comfortable as my home bed.
    Yellow Dog, sieg, Yinzer Moto and 2 others like this.
  5. ATadam

ATadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur backyard first that way you get used camping and the gear you bring as well as what gear you might not need or want. From there I would do truck, then bike, then on foot eventually if you want.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Load up bike and go camp somewhere close.. like an hour or two.. so if u dont end up liking it.. u can stop by the local holiday inn express and celebrate with a ice cream sundae... :)
    sieg likes this.
  7. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have concerns ... Your inability to sleep well indoors is not encouraging.

That said

Attitude towards overcoming adversity is key to your success.

Expect to encounter problems ... It takes a lot of experience to camp comfortable ... The only way to get the experience is to do it !!!

Take the truck ... Goal is to learn basics of camping .

Take your home pillow and a extra blanket, on this 1st trip.

Good luck

Scott
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    As a child, the backyard could work.. as an adult.. I think it's much too easy ; if you're not comfortable in the sleeping bag or didn't like what you brought for dinner.. it's much too easy to just walk back in your house.
    Part of the camping / traveling, is sacrificing all the convenience we have....

Put yourself out there abit, out of your confort zone..far enough where it's not easy to pack up and go back inside.. surely there's a park / camping area 30mins to 1 hr away you can venture out into ? lol
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Let me say this to ya... as a goal / bucket list item of sort, @mylastbike..

Couple of years ago, I found myself lost in the middle of nowhere in the dark.. the forest of Mt. Elbrus in Southern Russia bordering the country of Georgia..; only to wake up in a rainbow of warm fall colors and breath take scenery..

.. and many nights out in the wild plains of Mongolia. Those were the most magical moments of my life... something to look forward to mate!.
    kraven and Yellow Dog like this.
  10. heresjeff

heresjeff Weekend Worry-er

Oddometer:
    Any camping trip is better if you take Jeff.

Lol
    ExodusRider likes this.
  11. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike. Naked and Afraid episode
    Yellow Dog likes this.
  12. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike. Stay within 50 to 100 miles. One night with flexibility for 2. If 2, 2nd night in a different place for practice packing and unpacking.
    RedDogAlberta, Yellow Dog and sieg like this.
  13. willfreely

willfreely Elderly Belligerent

Oddometer:
    Skip eating dirt.
    mylastbike likes this.
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did a camping trip to try out my moto trailer, I would have much more fun on the bike without the trailer
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The part that I am having trouble with is part of what makes moto camping fun is taking the less traveled roads. What would be a 3 hour drive in a truck can be an all day ride on the bike. I need clarification on the distance this destination is from home. If it is an 8 hour bike ride but only 3 by highway in the truck. Worst case, if you have a bad time, you can jump on the highway and B line it home.

If it is an 8 hour highway drive in the truck. I would say you need to take the truck and go camping. Or just camp in the backyard a few times.
  16. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s an 8 hour interstate drive in a truck, longer by bike with more fuel/rest stops. I’ve decided to take the truck this first time out. Made the decision based on the fact that I may not sleep well and I don’t want to risk riding home exhausted. Thanks for all the honest input and advice everyone!
  17. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun! Remember it's 350 miles from here to a curve. From my mountain property-Tennessee- the curves start at the end of the driveway. On the other hand, I end up needing a lot of stuff I can't carry even in a sidecar for a multi week trip and so end up hauling the bike.
  18. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted!! enjoy the adventure
  19. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmmEveryone on the road near you would feel better if you were on a bike!
  20. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience car camping and moto camping are totally different experiences. For one thing, I don't like carrying a bunch of cooking equipment and food on my bike, so when I bike camp I try to grab dinner before I camp and limit breakfast to donuts or something simple, plus some coffee. When I car camp, I've got the camp stove, a big cooler full of beer and burgers, etc.

Also, I'm a big guy, so I find most camping mats uncomfortable...but when I'm car camping I've got one of those giant Exped mattresses that fits in a dufflebag...very comfy.

Finally, a got a dog a couple of years ago, so for me the choice now is simple, since the dog can't come on the moto.