My first solo camping trip: bike or truck?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by mylastbike, Jun 18, 2020.

1. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    My intent is to test out my moto camping gear/setup process minus the riding the motorcycle to camp site part. Even though I'll travel in the truck I'll still only use my microscopic solid fuel tablet stove, one-man tent, mummy sleeping bag, etc. Trying to keep the gear condensed down to what would only fit on the bike.
    sieg likes this.
  2. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having bike and car camped in everything from a pop up tent trailer to a toy hauler to a bivvie sack, slept on the bare ground, air mattresses, cots, foam pads, Thermarests etc, I know it is difficult to get the perfect set up for sleeping, especially for 60+ yr old bones. A couple of years ago I bought a Klymit Static V Lux mattress. It is not absolutely perfect, but it rolls up very small, inflates with about 35 breaths and gives you a nice sized, 3" thick pad to sleep on. It will fit in any tent and if you're on relatively flat ground, contribute to a comfortable nights sleep.

If you decide to do more camping and are a fussy sleeper, you may want to consider one of these or a comparible item. It is worth the price. Backpacker websites are a great resource and are full of gear reviews. That's where I discovered the V Lux.

Camping is easy. But you do need to have a few essentials eg water, toilet and bed. Getting a good night's sleep is one of the trickiest things to figure out.
    tlub likes this.
  3. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are a drinker, sip some bourbon by your fire. If you aren’t, time release melatonin. I use an actual air mattress, the Coleman Slim Twin. It’s just 26” wide, 6” thick, which gets me a little further off the ground. I fall asleep on my side and tried the self inflating jobs, even the Klymit V Lux left me with sore shoulders. The Coleman packs about twice the size of the Klymit, but not any bigger that a lot of the self inflators. I picked up a 12volt inflator that packs very small so can blow it up using the bike battery. They run $20-$25 at Walmart.
  4. JT105

JT105 Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    You have a lot more room in the truck than on a bike. Take some extra gear and try it all out. That solid fuel stove is nice to boil some water for coffee. Take another type of stove if you have one and try a different type of cooking. Experiment and discover what you like.
    Same goes for sleeping gear. Take some extra blankets and your pillow from home. Try out your gear and if you need extra bedding to sleep then grab it from the truck.

Plan ahead to make it fun. Suffering sucks.

Take notes on what you liked and what you didn’t.

JT
  5. Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog Wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent 5-7 years worth of nights in my tent so far. I used to always sleep on my thermarest and I’m a big guy too. Now I have a twin sized air mattress and it doesn’t take up much more room on my bike. Even with the pump that plugs into my outlet. It’s so much more comfortable. So much. Whether you try the backyard or close by with the truck or just pull your balls out and go for it on the bike, you’ll be camping and having an adventure! Or you’ll know you don’t like camping and then packing is way easier for a bike trip!
  6. hensmen

hensmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have a family propertie in the mountains ?!
    In Covid 19 times a wish from all inmates, take all you want on the bike and go camping and you will see you don`t need all stuff or you try micro adventures, take the bike and go camping some minutes away from your homebase. The place in the mountains will never get lost or you take a buddy with you but we can`t say " start now !", your decision. One thing, i would be in your position, greetings from Hans.
  7. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a bourbon drinker, and I will be bringing some with me.
  8. heresjeff

heresjeff Weekend Worry-er

Oddometer:
    Did you go camping yet?
  9. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I leave tomorrow 6am!
    heresjeff likes this.
  10. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to reading about your adventure.
  11. heresjeff

heresjeff Weekend Worry-er

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah. Don’t forget your bourbon!
  12. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s already packed, along with a premixed margarita.
  13. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made it to my camp site. Easy ride up the coast. Got my stuff set up. Started with the tent, which was the most tedious part. To be fair I hadn’t even taken it out of the sack or read instructions but I watched a few YouTube videos previously and had a general idea of what to do. One person advised to put up the rain fly before the inner tent, which was the biggest problem. Doing the rain fly first isn’t necessary if it’s dry outside. Cooked my first meal, canned chili on the tiny Esbit solid fuel stove. Only needed one tablet to get it piping hot. Dinner and a view. Ain’t too shabby. Weather is clear tonight, lows in the 60s, should be good to sleep. Took the rain fly off for tonight to get more ventilation. 61602176197__801BA371-B652-4EBA-9727-5CE1B8530A36.jpg
  14. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    61603019836__F2B832FF-9380-4F1D-82F5-0A1AB2867412.jpg
    kraven likes this.
  15. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Funny. For me camping on the bike is a means to an end. I can stop wherever I am and make a home. Get up in the morning and get to what I came for, more riding. Rinse and repeat.
    If I was just going camping to camp. I would take the truck.
    Moto camping, ‘light and lean’ with all the right tools and spares, without looking like Jed Clampet takes some time above and beyond regular camping. It is a skill all in its own.
    Regardless pics are required.
    -E- likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, for me, camping off the bike is a way I can ride my bike in fun places. I just ride until I am ready to get off the bike and pull over and make camp.
  18. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Killed some time getting night shots with my truck.

606D0342-881B-4684-AFB7-C1C249FC6F0F.jpg
  19. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Highly recommend the Flexible LED Strip light from Lightforce USA. Provides awesome low-draw illumination.
    145A07E5-B567-4BC4-BC82-16518501F525.jpg
  20. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a little incident today. So I didn’t really sleep much my first night. No idea on hours, maybe 2? Spent an hour mountain biking, then went swimming, walking all over the place, went for a short hike with my mom, then I’d had enough. Couldn’t walk another foot. I was so tired, bloated from a big lunch, rigorous exercise, toasty outside, in the sun all day. Perfect storm. Had to lay down in a proper bed with ice on me to get right again. Blew up the air mattress tonight, going to throw it in the truck bed and back up the truck under the EZ-up tent. I know I can sleep on an air mattress. I have a friend coming up to spend the day tomorrow and have lots of activities planned so I don’t want another fatigue spell tomorrow.

It’s currently storming so we’ll see how tonight goes. Supposed to blow over in about 2 hours. I’m currently sheltered in a safe spot out of the elements.

Aside from the sleeping difficulties, everything else about camping is really enjoyable. I have everything I need and I’m enjoying the change-up from the normal routine. If I go truck camping again I’lol probably get one of those truck bed tents, purpose made for the setup.