My first solo camping trip: bike or truck?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by mylastbike, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you ever slept in a hammock?
    TavisB likes this.
  2. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    No but I actually found an outfitters store this afternoon to try to buy one but they were all out of stock.
  3. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor, as you're figuring stuff out. Hit up a hammock forum. Find somewhere there near you to let you borrow a hammock. Maybe even take you along and shorten the learning curve. I rarely camp in a tent anymore . Because I sleep so much better in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock. Maybe a bridge or gathered end would put you to sleep.
    TavisB likes this.
  4. -E-

-E- Klaatu barada nikto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camping in a really cool spot is a bonus to a day of riding. Plus I would rather sleep in my tent than a flea bag motel. You have that right about light and lean. I'm still perfecting the balance between comfort and weight/bulk. A mountaineering friend had a theory to going light. When you get home at the end of a trip spread out all your stuff. Anything you didn't use throw away. Anything you did use drill full of holes. I don't go that far but I do reassess what I carry often. I need a chair that packs smaller than my Joey chair. D1.jpg

I carry an insulated air mattress. I prefer a thermarest type mattress with the open cell foam inside for comfort, but go with air to get a smaller pack size. Air underneath you can be colder than sleeping on the ground. The insulated pad is a must have. The hammock guys have the same issue. Many use an under quilt.

If you are still blowing up your air mattress stop and use your trash bag.
    kraven, tlub and Mumbles24 like this.
  5. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Cool video @-E- . If my partner has a chair I know they are more into the camping ‘experience’ than I am.:kumbaya