My first time to Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by theshnizzle, Sep 28, 2021.

1. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report!! Thanks for posting!!
  2. beemer boy

beemer boy Oh no, he's gone Asian

Oddometer:
    About 25 years ago, I left Calif. on a Goldwing 1500 and headed north to Banff National park. Then due east all the way across Canada to Nova Scotia, then took the ferry over to Newfoundland. The Rock is a stunning place of course. But my overwhelming memory was the mind boggling friendliness of the people there. Canadians are friendly in general, but the people of Newfoundland simply take it to another level. Also accomplished one of my goals there , which of course was to drink some screech with the locals. :-) Thanks for your trip report, brought back some great memories...
  3. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm late to this party, but wanted to offer my heartfelt "thanks" for your ride report. NFLD is held squarely within my bucket list, and I enjoyed living vicariously through your adventure. I too prefer the paper map for the big picture - the photographs of your maps may be my favorite ones of the trip, from one perspective. Did you write to the NFLD govt and receive those maps BEFORE your departure, or grab them upon your arrival? In either case, any details would be appreciated.

One day I will ride that area and when I do, I will remember this report fondly. Thanks again.
    AngusMcL likes this.
  4. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To, two,too..
    gpfan likes this.
  5. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Coffeeman

Oddometer:
    I am late to this thread too.
    I love this report and your adventure. I love your attitude and approach too. I don't normally camp (I am in Europe, aged 64, travel alone, different culture) but next year I think I would like to give it a go. Somewhere in Spain probably.
    Thank you for the story and inspiration.
  6. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have this very wrong, but I’m guessing your retired prison guard? If so, you must have found your conversations with the patched riders amusing?
    I have been to the big island but unfortunately there was a time issue and was not abel to explore as you did. Much enjoyed your RR, very well put together. Take Care Petepilot. ( on the small island, soon of to Baja for a winter of dirt riding)
  7. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is priceless, I have never had an encounter with such an understanding concierge. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, my trip to Newfoundland was when I was 40 years old, and I rode up to Twillingate and saw the lighthouse at Crow Head as you did. I'm from Minnesota, and my "oh, shit" moment was on the first day out when I hit a deer in Wisconsin at 125 km/hr. The deer was killed, but I didn't go down. I'm 60+ as well now, our trips are oddly parallel but differently timed.
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Bookmarked! Great report thank you. On our bucket list.
  9. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    It's Unpossible to have too many maps! :lol3

Hope your second time is even better.
    Thanks for sharing, it brought back many great memories of that fantastic place, though my shower house camp memory is from the road to Bella Coola. :D