My first trip in USA (Mexico to Canada) was cancelled but the plan B has been great

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jaumev, Dec 16, 2017.

1. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about the bears. I don't think I can find the spray here in Spain but it will be a thing to buy wen I arrive to USA. Any more recomendations about bears? Are they so common? I only saw one from the distance in my previous trips to USA.

About the weather. I suppose I can find all sort of temperatures in this trip. This is why I think it is better start in the south and finish north.
    I think I will need 4 weeks. I can choose start early or mid May, what do you recommend?

Thanks for the link!
  2. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. I will tell you once I know where I'm landing.

I won't be to Zion as I know it. Yes, Angels Landing is an incredible walk. Badlands looks great but it is too far from where I'm planning to go.

:beer
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is USA safe?
    jaumev likes this.
  4. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    No.

Charlie
    jaumev likes this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding USA safe, or not? we have begun to giggle (no, it's not funny haha) when watching the evening news as it seems we have come to know (sort of:lol2) several county sheriffs in recent years here. Almost every night, there they are showing some nasty human being and a house that appears barely livable, etc..
    Thankfully not where we live, they're usually ~ 2-3 hours away. Meth/pill heads/dealers and various other crazy minded people seem to shoot each other in the USA and getting pretty regular too. Nothing like putting our best foot forward for visitors?:-)
    Yes, it's safe for most of us. Much less so for the bears.:rofl
    jaumev likes this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons for doing the CDR is that even though you are in the Southwest at the start, you gain elevation in a hurry and once in the mountains it cools down a lot.

Black bears are a nuisance, but not really dangerous, brown bears (Grizzly) are dangerous, but are not found until you get up north to around the same latitude as Yellowstone, but the concern remains all the way up to and including Canada. Bear spray can be found in most sporting goods stores in the region. Nothing to be fearful of, just be "bear aware".

bear-areas-map.gif
    jaumev likes this.
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago Bears: very hard to find since they usually don't show up

Sorry, had to do it
    dcwilcox and jaumev like this.
  8. Joezeph

Joezeph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No it's not optimistic, even with excursions from this route you will not ride more than 4k mls (6,500kms) so it an easy trip for 3 or 4 weeks.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...66944d59a!2m2!1d-122.3320708!2d47.6062095!3e0

You MUST ride south to north,because, as someone who found Las Vegas too hot in April, (& Death Valley will be even hotter), you need to leave the heat behind you..............although for the PNW you WILL need wet weather clothing!
    jaumev likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You will find May too early in the high country dirt of Colorado. Many of the spectular high country forest roads do not open till July.

However you will find July & August very hot in Arizona and the Southwest. Temps have a wide range out West.
    jaumev and Lupin 3rd like this.
  10. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    You should be able to get bear spray from any outdoor equipment store, I got mine at REI. Also I didn't mind not seeing any bears during my trip, how common they are depends on where you go: forests = more common.

Starting in early May should mean cooler weather which is good for Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley etc, but mountain passes in Colorado may still be closed. Also there may be rain which means evil mud, especially in the desert. I think the best option is to plan to be flexible with locations and time depending on how the weather is. Hope this helps!
  11. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well..

When I was deciding the destination of “the trip of my life” I was looking others exotic countries in Africa, east Europe, Asia…
    I decided USA not only for its beauty but also considering it is a safe country. And now you say it is not :baldy :lol3
    Anyway, If I spend a night some suspicious guys in the Rif in Morocco (the cannabis area) I think I can deal with bears... but I will buy a spray :(

@Joezeph and @eakins Yes I know I must have clothes to all sort of climate and the idea is travel from south to north.

@Lupin 3rd I know the mud in Utah and it terrifies me. Driving a big bike in it must be really horrible. As you say it is very important to be flexible.

Thanks for your comments guys!!
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I may as well be the first to say it “three weeks!?” That’s a lot of visiting friends and riding off road in three weeks. You’ll only be able to spend one night in each place.
  13. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dou you mean it is too short?

Yes, I know... I'm trying to stay a bit more (a month) but this is much more than I usually have as a holidays, I'm only a poor mid class workman :(
  14. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally I have decided to focus on a route that passes through places that for a European like me are mythical. I know there will be more tourism but I can not miss them on an occasion like this.
    It also gives me more peace of mind in the off road sections as it is more likely to receive help in case of having a problem. My main objective is to enjoy the trip with the least possible risks that can ruin it. So, more or less this is the route:

29 April arrival in Los Angeles
    From 30 April to 4th May: Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley. There I would ride off road in Titus canyon and other dirt tracks I saw in the park.
    One night in Las Vegas.
    6th to 8th: Grand canyon South Rim, Sedona, Antilope canyon...
    9th to 11: Grand Staircase Escalante to Capitol Reef. In Boulder starts the Burr Trail to Capitol Reef that looks awesome. In Capitol I would like to ride into the Cathedral Valley area (off road). Next stop will be Valley of the Gods.
    12 al 15: Moab and Canyonlads. I would like to ride the White Rim trail, Shaffer trail, the Needles district... all these in Canyonlands. Onion Creek near Moab...
    Around the 16th I will be in Salt Lake City to see a friend.
    From SLC I will go to Grand Teton and visit my cousins in Sun Valley around the 20. Then I have several options to spend this 4 or 5 days: go north to the Canada border, stay in Idaho or return to Utah. This is open.

I will have camping gear so I can improvise.

This week arrives the bike!! I'm really excited!! :clap:clap:clap
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to say the same thing; this is the best way to see the West from the seat of a motorbike. May is a little too early for some high passes. Starting in June from the South would give the best opportunity to do the whole CDT. You might also consider a loop down through the Copper Canyon area of Mexico. Saludos.
    jaumev likes this.
  16. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand you say this because this "tourist crap" is easy to see if you live in USA. But those places are "must" for an European and probably my only oportunity to see them.
    I hope in May and riding to the remote areas of the parks will be less crowded.
    The CDT or the TAT... I hope I can ride those routes one time... but with a lighter bike and in the roughest tracks.
    Thanks!!
  17. Crazybear

Crazybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jaume, you have to bite a bear between the eyes to get it to calm down. If you must spray, always do it against the wind so as to cause no unnecessary pain to the bear (they are people too). In all seriousness, I’m close to the seattle area and I don’t spray spaniards even if they get out of their cage… soy de Peru. I can host you or ride w/ you a bit if I’m around. Send me a PM ( un privado) if you’d like.
    jaumev likes this.
  18. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I like your route, but if you're going to do Grand Staircase Escalante, you should really do Zion while you're in the area. In my opinion, it's the most scenic of all the parks. You don't have to do Angel's Landing, there are plenty of other smaller hikes, or just ride the shuttle through the park and back while taking pictures.
    Hidden Canyon is one of my favorite hikes and it doesn't take as long as Angel's Landing. The road follows the river through the canyon floor,and every picture you take looks like a postcard.

[​IMG]

You cannot drive through the northern park canyon- you have to park and ride the free shuttle, one comes along every 10 minutes or so. You can ride through the other half, from Canyon Junction through the tunnel and out the east side on Zion- Mount Carmel highway. You can enter the park from the east, or from the south. The northern spur is a dead-end and for shuttle buses only north of Canyon Junction.

[​IMG]

The ride through the switchbacks between the tunnel and the main park is breathtaking.

[​IMG]
    jaumev likes this.
  19. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a relief that you don't spray spaniards!! :lol3:lol3

Seattle is quite far from where I will be but thanks a lot for your offer. We'll be in contact

Gracias!
  20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree @FTL900, Zion is incredible. I was there some years ago when I visited Brice, Grand Canyon North Rim, etc. I walked a lot in Zion: Narrows, Angel's Landing... I know it quite a while for that reason I'm looking for new areas.
    Thanks a lot.
    FTL900 likes this.