My first trip in USA (Mexico to Canada) was cancelled but the plan B has been great

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jaumev, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember this section quite well from last year. It was sporting on my KTM 500, and here I think the 500 is easier than your sidecar rig - easier to jump around that stuff.

And you should have included "the camera doesn't do this justice, it's a lot steeper than it looks"
    jaumev likes this.
  2. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    May to early June is likely too early anyway for the CDR, in SW Colorado at least.

Between SLC and the Tetons you could ride Greys River Road, between Cokeville and Alpine, WY. It's a USFS gravel road thru the Wyoming Mountains.

From the Teton area, you could ride the northern part of the CDR, which takes you over into Idaho at Ashton and eventually up into Montana and to the west side of Glacier NP. Or at least parts of it to keep you off the pavement. In addition to the Red Rock Lakes, some nice back roads north-south thru Montana are Pioneer Mountain scenic byway, 569 up to Anaconda, Rock Creek Road, the west side of Lake Koocanusa.
    jaumev likes this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hardest part with a sidecar is that you have to pick a line around the rocks for the bike and a line for the sidecar, and you are right the pic making it look super easy. But for a solo bike it really isn't a turn around and find another way difficult.

I spent a lot of time in the Greys River area as a Geology student at Idaho State, it is one of my favorite areas. I have property just outside of Anaconda and I commonly take friends who have not seen the area over to Bannack Ghost town via the Pioneer Mountain Scenic Byway.
    jaumev likes this.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    When you're in Salt Lake City, you can go to a Cabela's store to get your bear spray. The one just south of SLC in Lehi just off I-15 is really impressive. My wife even likes going there and she doesn't hunt, fish, or camp. There is another in Farmington just off I-15 just to the north but I haven't been in that one.

If I'm not out and about traveling/riding the motorcycles, let me know if you ride near West Yellowstone and I can probably be available for at least a ride.
    jaumev likes this.
  5. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I must concentrate the trip more in the south. I bought the plane tickets and I had to advance one week the trip: from 22 April to 20 May so probably too soon for the north and mountains.
    I will look the areas you mention as an option if it isn't snow in them.
    Thanks!
  6. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK!! :thumb
  7. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I pick the beauty. What a beast!! :rayof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And Juame, since you're from Barcelona, and Barcelona is my favorite place in Europe, and I need to go back there and brush up on my Catalan, I'm going to offer you a swap: You visit Casa Tricepilot here in San Antonio Texas, you get to meet the Tricewife and enjoy the best Texas BBQ on the planet, and maybe someday when I'm in your town to rent a bike from IMT and we can do a track day at Circuit de Catalunya.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides the CDR there a few other well documented off pavement rides that more or less go from Mexico to Canada.

There are now Back Country Discovery routes that go north/south thru New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Nevada.
    There is also the Great Western Trail.
    And there is the Mexico to Canada route.

You can get tracks for the last two in Countdown's private library in GPSXchange.com.

But snow is going to be a problem the further north and higher you go and you will probably end up riding some pavement thru the mountains. This isn't the worst thing in the world.
    jaumev likes this.
  10. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well @tricepilot , this a very tempting offer but I will be veeeery far from this incredible BBQ :baldy
    But will be always welcome to Barcelona and I promise you yo talk in Catalan :)
    But don't expect me to ride in a circuit, my natural habitat are the dirt tracks, I hate asphalt

Thanks for your offer!!
  11. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I'm not obsessed to reach Canada, If all depend if I spend more time in the south. I will improvise
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

I have a BIG problem with the bike insurance.
    This is a company bike (Ducati) and it seems impossible to have an insurance that cover an European company bike driven by a non resident US citizen.
    I really will apreciate any help or the trip will be cancelled :baldy:(
  13. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    i will send you a pm. It sounds like because the bike is not titled in your name that may be causing the issue?
  14. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right, this is the problem
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I may be able to help with insurance. PM/conversation is best I guess...then we will go to email.
    You can perhaps insure it in company name with you as a listed operator.
    You will need an address.
    OR just insure bike and you.
    I do this all the time, I help International Travelers.
    If need be contact PROGRESSIVE direct and they will surely help you. I use them ALL the time....I've insured over 40 bikes with them.
    Animo and jaumev like this.
  16. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
    Thanks!
  17. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Fernet insurance out of Orlando do insurance for out of state motorcyclist, they ride themselves, and are pretty affordable, no problemo!
    https://www.fernet.com/
  18. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for your help but unfortunatelly we had to cancel the trip.
    Ducati Spain didn't find the way to solve the insurance problem and now is too late to send the bike, so we are looking another destination.
    I'm really sad.
    Anyway, I'm sure the new trip will be great and sooner or later I will come to have my dream trip to the US.

:beer
  19. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    What's Ducati Spain got to do with this?
  20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    They lend me the bike and finance the trip

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk