My friends from Canada: Which road should I take?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by OldRider 125, Jun 26, 2005.

1. OldRider 125

OldRider 125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be in Winnipeg next week and I want to ride either to Edmonton on the Yellow Head # 16 Hwy or on the Trans Canada Hwy # 1 to Calgary. I don't really care which road I travel. I would just like to ride on the best, most scenic, motorcycle friendly of the two roads. In your opinon, which road should I travel?
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Both highways see alot of traffic. IMHO, you'd be happier if you got off the main routes and took the road less travelled by, if you know what I mean.
    Which city would you prefer to see?
  3. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Agreed,

Both route are heavily travelled and mostly two-lane especially the Yellowhead, once you are outside the bigger cities such as Saakatoon, Regina or Moose Jaw.
    Also, lots of LEOs whoare normally very polite but can write tickets with the best of them :evil
    If you have Mapquest or other GPS software there are lots of other ways to patch together a very cool and scenic route west. Some spots to include are Diefenbaker Lake and either of the Sask (North or South) rivers. IF you want some more out of the way routing go North from Portage towards Minnedosa and Riding Mountain National Park. Get to Dauphin and then ride west on Hwy 5. That part of Manitoba and Sask is more rural and rolling. Take this route all the way to Yorkton.
    From Yorkton you may want to stay westbound to hit Hwy 15 at Ituna and go NW to Watrous. I would suggest that you continue west on 15 past Saskatoon, but it is definitely worth seeing and much prettier (sorry Regina fans) than the capital city. Stop and see the old army base at Dundurn and then get back onto 15 to Rosetowna nd further south to Elbow and the BIG Lake. Once you've got that out of your system you need to make a choice: South or North. But you have to go through Biggar, Sask so that you can read the sign there...:rofl
    Many of the town names in western Sask and Eastern Alta are work noting, have a look at a map or on Mapsource and plan your route accordingly.
    Still got time?
    Go to the badlands around Drumheller (recent floods may affect things there) and visit the old coal mines and the BEST place for dinosaurs - Royal Tyrrell Museum.
    I've probably spoken too much so far.... From Drumheller head NW towards Edmonton but pass through Red Deer, another great town.

Oh yeah, if you have time don't forget southern Alberta... REAL cowboy territory!

Peter C
    There is lots to see and do.
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Highway 1 from Winnipeg to Calgary is the most boring ride on earth.
  5. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    North of Winnipeg through the Interlake area of Manitoba. Stay on the east side of Lake Manitoba and turn west at the Narrows (NE of Dauphin). Heading west from Dauphin will take you along the northern boundary of Riding Mountain National Park and if you continue along this latitude will take you along the south boundary of Saskatchewan's National Park (can't remember the name right now....community inside is called Waskesiu). Continue west through Prince Albert and eventually you end up in North Battleford (home of the last major Metis Uprising in Canada). All this is from memory - no map in front of me so I may not be right on but check it out.

When you're in Alberta, don't miss the Motorcycle Exhibition at the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin (about 40 minutes south of Edmonton). They put on one hell of a good motorcycle exhibit about 10 yrs ago and apparently have another good one going this year.

Enjoy your trip, look out for the moose and bring mosquito repellant!
  6. OldRider 125

OldRider 125 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be able to check out these routes on Mapsource & make a more educated decision. Thanks:ear