My GPS setup

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rjf, Nov 8, 2005.

1. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Magellan Meridian color -
    -with Discover Aust Streets and tracks topo. *

conected to a pocket pc (Ipaq)
    -Running oziexplorer CE *
    -with natmap raster 1;250k map of Aust*
    -soon to have 1:25k and 1:100K of NSW *(Ordered over the ph from GPSOZ Tuesday PM. Arrived next morning. Just have to get them onto cd's or SD card's. Should be done for the Ourimbah ride this weekend.:thumb

Both using Touratech Mounts. Rubber mount for GPS, MvG for the pocket pc.

[​IMG]
    Image shows how they attach to the roadbook holder, also the mvg dampers for the pocket pc, and the small rubber dampers for the magellan. Supposedly the magellan doesn't need the special dampers. Also the clamps are a very tight fit around the roadbook holder so you cannot fit an extra layer of rubber, etc, between them like a ram mount. But the bolt spacing on the clamps on the touratech's are the same as a type of ram mount, so you can have ram mounted touratech mounts if needed.

[​IMG]

on the left, the Magellan mount. has a spring loaded arm to hold the gps in place, yet be quick to remove. It still takes a little bit of time to unscrew the power / data cable though. On the right is the pocket pc mount. the big black circle is the Velcro, with the hole for the twist lock fastener above it.

[​IMG]

gps and pocket pc in place. If they were connected there would be a cable coming out of the bottom of the pc's bag. Notice the amount of dirt ( yes I know, I'm lazy ), But it highlights the need for a screen protector.

[​IMG]
    - back of the pc bag, strip of Velcro, twist lock fastener at top.

[​IMG]

pc next to its bag. I couldn't get the pc to work with the stick on screen protectors (Just purchased hp/ipaq protectors, they should let it work), but thankfully the bag kept it clean. The pic show the dirt all over the bag, the pc was just taken out of the bag, I didn't clean it for the photo.

The gps mount doesn't wobble around, makes it easy to read, however the screen isn't as bright as the pc's. The mvg mounts on the pc mount let it wobble around a bit. I might tighten the bolts up a little to see if that helps. the vinyl window can make it a little hard to see if I don't spend the time to straighten out the wrinkles in it beforehand.

* = purchased from - http://www.gpsoz.com.au/

mounts from http://www.touratech.de/shop/enter.html?lang=en-us
  2. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    My GPS mounting system for the XLV, which employs two length-adjustable ferro-elastomeric tensile mounting units:

[​IMG]

They're actually micro bungee cords ... $2 for quite a lot of them at the Reject Shop. The thing in the middle there is the air filter cover, which is already on rubber mounts so doesn't vibrate all that much.

I'll put a RAM mount to the crossbrace on the R100GS though ...

-----sharks
  3. ando

ando TC

Oddometer:
    How much all up did that cost you rjf?
  4. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it![​IMG]
  5. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did'nt I see that set up on Ewan and Charlies bikes Sharks[​IMG][​IMG]
    Andrew
  6. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Magellan Meridian color (Ebay new) $380
    with Discover Aust Streets and tracks topo. $400

conected to a pocket pc (Ipaq)(ebay ex Gov't) $250
    -Running oziexplorer CE * $170 for oziexp. +ce add on
    -with natmap raster 1;250k map of Aust* $90
    -1:25k and 1:100K of NSW $30
    Power / data cable $99 (I think)

Both using Touratech Mounts. $240 including air freight from Gremany.

I didn't buy it all in one go, so it wasn't too bad, but I'm not adding up the total, 'cause it scares me to think how much I spend on motorcycle gear !!!:yikes
  7. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    Nice setup.

$1659...not too scary :D