1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

My grandsons first project bike

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Twin headlight Ernie, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    Like many of you I have a grandson (Ryan) that is my pride and joy. I spent a lot of time with my grandpa and cherish my memories of him. I inherited a lot of his traits and hope to pass them on to Ryan. A couple of years ago I bought him a used PW50 and he's had a ball hanging out with the guys at the track. He's outgrown the PW and this will be his last year on it. It will get passed down to my friend Brian for his grandson Oakley. Brian and I have worked together back in the 80's at a Yamaha dealership. He was the shop foreman and I was the parts manager. I've been looking for Ryan's next bike and Brian suggested a pair of XL80's that he had stashed away. They are pretty rough but we hope to make one good one out of two bad one's. I dragged them home this weekend. I have Ryan on Tuesday and I will get to surprise him with then. We will start by getting the bike with the donor motor running. Dump the oil, fresh plug, points and fuel. Once it is running we can start tearing it down. I'll break the nuts and bolts loose and he can spin them off the rest on the way. I'm sure looking forward to this bike build and helping this fine young man learn some life lessons along the way. I'll share our progress with you all. Cheers. 2HE

My favorite picture of Ryan from a few years back.
    [​IMG]

Ryan last season. All gear all the time!
    [​IMG]

The bikes fresh from the barn.
    [​IMG]

The trailer ride home.
    [​IMG]

So now the fun begins....
  2. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! I have a grandson who is about to turn 3 and another that's just 3 months. The older one really loves grandpa's motorcycles, and has already started asking mom and dad if he can have one. :D
  3. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Busy weekend out in the shop. Made some good progress and have a game plan.
    [​IMG]

Got a barn find airbox for sure! Funny how critters like airboxes!
    [​IMG]

Ryan wrenching away with his new buzz cut that mom gave him.
    [​IMG]

End of day progress. Got the engines pulled on both bikes.
    [​IMG]

Pulled the engine apart from bike #1. The cylinder head cam journals are chewed up pretty good. Got busy pulling the engine on bike #2 and the cylinder head looks good. We'll be using cylinder head #2 on engine #1. Started making a parts list now that I know we have a working motor.
    [​IMG]

End of day bus tubs of treasure. Got a working motor and a rolling frame. Nothing that a little money and time can't finish. Good thing Boppa Ernie works cheap.
    [​IMG]
    Bigger Al, AK650, Jim K in PA and 8 others like this.
  4. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    We got the frame back from powdercoat. Ryan cleaned all the ball bearings for the steering head and we got that mounted. I showed him how to polish the chrome fork tubes. I have new fork seals and wipers on order. Hopefully we'll install the new seals this weekend.
    [​IMG]

Just waiting on the piston rings for the engine.
    [​IMG]

Lots of dents in the tank but at least the interior isn't full of rust.
    [​IMG]

I got tires and tubes on order Saturday. The chain and sprockets showed up in the mail. Making progress.
    Bigger Al, zzzak, mikeysduck and 7 others like this.
  5. Twin headlight Ernie

Oddometer:
    Last weekends progress. We also made two birdhouses but this is a motorcycle build forum not a birdhouse build forum.
    I have a friend with a bodyshop that always seems to have a full primer gun on hand. I'll drop it off and see if he'll give it a couple coats.
    [​IMG]