My Honda CTX1300 (My Girl)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Clampett, Jun 29, 2015.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The filler is in the usual spot and covered by a quick release hatch operated by the key on the side of the bike. You can see the the hatch dead center on the tank. There's a CTX1300 forum with some good info on there if you want to take a peek.
    [​IMG]
    Clampett likes this.
  2. ZenPuddleJumper

ZenPuddleJumper No more tickets, please.

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Right after I asked I happened upon one of your pics with the fairings off and I spotted it. Ah HA!
    I'm glad it's not under the passenger seat.

The Virginian likes this.
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I agree. This is one really cool bike.
    Clampett likes this.
  4. smack doogle

smack doogle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zen - like you, I've always been a sport bike/sport touring guy but the idea of this CTX has me curious. I love my vfr and it will remain in the garage but the CTX would make a great 2nd bike. I'm headed to crofton and glen burnie today to see if either offer test rides. If you get one, post a review or swing by southern MD for a beer on me to brag about it!
  5. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    Will do!
  6. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    How's this thing (CTX) handle bumps? I get quite a jolt when my hypermotard goes over big pavement ripples and I have noticed that heavier bikes tend to be less affected by such things (one of the reasons I am eyeing the heavy metal).
    Also wondering if the longer wheelbase helps in the comfort department. Or is it mostly suspension quality that affects ride smoothness?
  7. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    Another question I have is about lean angles. How far can you lean it over before the shiny stuff starts to scrape? I'm no track junkie, but I do like me some lean every now and then. :-)
  8. retrostude

retrostude Retrostude

Oddometer:
    I test rode one almost 2 years ago when contemplating a newer rig to commute on. My marginal weather commuter is a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale. I was thinking ABS after a couple close calls. But (1) the deluxe they had sold while i was thinking about it, (2) the Venture felt pretty good after the CTX test ride, (3) the side bag would not hold a helmet, and (4) I was holding out for the new Venture.

Ultimately my solution wound up being to stop commuting... I retired last summer! But the ctx was still in my head. The new Venture looks like a great bike but the engine is not a v4... air cooled belt drive v twin? Jesus.

A day after the big 3rd gen Venture unveiling, i stopped with a buddy that needed a part for his old wing, and sure enough there's a lightly used ctx1300 deluxe on the floor. At one third the price of a new venture. Yup taking another test ride today....

I think my 31 year old steed is faster, and I can toss it into corners with familiar abandon, but with a fork seal leaking and a clutch starting to slip it might be time. Love my Yamaha v4s but Yamaha has officially divorced itself from them. I'll keep the vmax forever for sure.
  9. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    in case anyone is interested, Freedom Powersports in Huntsville, AL has two CTX1300's on the floor, both standard models. I don't recall what the price was, but it was very low. I am not affiliated with them in anyway, just passing on the info.
    ZenPuddleJumper likes this.
  10. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Suspension is relative(3rd cousin once removed?). Opinions all over from just ok to bad. For me, OK. If you go CTX1300forum.com and search suspension, you'll see quite a few posts.
    Majority also agree that the suspension softens up after some miles.

Honda put dampeners in the handle bars that everyone agrees is bad. They do reduce the vibration from the engine, which was the purpose, but unfortunately they amplify the road vibration when it is severe. Removing the weights and the bar inserts is remedy for 90% (myself included), but a few have gotten the Rox antivibration risers.

@retrostude
    A Schubert C3 will fit in the pannier. A few other models will also fit, BUT a dual sport helmet will NOT fit. It is one of those things where you have to hold up your index finger on the right hand, look to the left while putting your tongue in your right cheek while placing your left big toe under the rear wheel, but several models do fit if placed just right.
    This rider on the CTX forum posted a photo, but others have made the claim as well.
  11. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll find out for sure when my rental starts next week. :-)
    As for the panniers, I'm 90% sure I'll put a top case on it. That'll solve any side case limitations.
    I'm used to a lot of engine vibration (Ducati), so I'd be surprised if the Honda is worse. We'll see!
    -z

12. rascalman

rascalman GhostRider, the clock is ticking

Oddometer:
    There were quite a few folks that bought the CTX at full retail when they were introduced. Some have commented about the lack of resale value of the machine and are greatly disappointed. Others don't seem to mind as they don't have any intentions of letting them go. If you get in on some of the low prices being offered today you won't take such a hit should you decide down the road it is just not for you.
    Personally, I held out from intro until February of 2015 and was able to pick one up at that time for $12,500 out the door for the deluxe model. There are even better deals out there now. I made several modifications to mine, for example, Rox risers, custom seat (the stock seat is just a showroom seat, not good for all day rides for me and especially not a passenger), Cee Baileys w/s with vent, luggage rack with Givi box, highway pegs, drivers backrest, centerstand, extra mirrors(the stock ones are virtually useless) and several other mods.
    I was never satisfied with the suspension. It was harsh on less than glass smooth asphalt, but still I was able to do a half dozen or so 500 miles days.
    Around the first of April, this year, I began having some health issues that greatly reduced my riding ability and enjoyment. About 3 weeks later someone came along and offered me near the full amount I had in the bike. Even after 2 years and 14000 miles I was still reluctant to let it go. But I did. You don't get many opportunities to recoup your money on a bike after 2 years and 14000 miles.
    Still, I miss that bike, very much. Had I not taken those proceeds and put them into a very nice convertible I might be tempted to pick up another one should my health permit. Hopefully the health issue will be resolved in time but whether I would go back, knowing the harsh suspension, is still up in the air.
    This is just my opinion and YMMV.
    All that being said I still think that is one incredible engine and trans set up that Honda should reinstate and continue to market.
    EZMoney likes this.
  13. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your insights. Suspension is pretty important for me. If I am not happy with it, i wonder what upgrade options might help smooth things out? With the prices where they currently are, i can probably afford a few upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  14. rascalman

rascalman GhostRider, the clock is ticking

Oddometer:
    I think there are quite a few discussions over on the CTX Forum regarding ways to improve both the front and rear suspension. Also consider, if the bikes have been in stock and set up since the model year intro, the fluids (brake/clutch) will soon be 4 years old just sitting around the showroom so make sure those are replaced. You might also consider the age of the tires at least enough to check the build date of them. You might be surprised how old they may be.
  15. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    Excellent points. I was wondering about the showroom aging too...I wonder if they would swap the fluids...
    Silkysmooth likes this.
  16. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Everyone has a favorite tackle/fishing shop, right?
    [​IMG]

Twin brother on the right haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Muffler man at the transmission shop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cbolling and klaviator like this.
  17. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Not much riding or photo taking lately. Took this of the hay field in front of my house. Same spot as before but looks different with the bales (Panda calls 'em tootsie rolls).
    [​IMG]
    cbolling and EZMoney like this.
  18. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Rode up to Florence AL to get a tag. Kinda warm today. Traffic and accidents bad on I65 NB. I missed it all, wooohooo
    [​IMG]
    cbolling and EZMoney like this.
  19. Sumo64c

Sumo64c Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda has a current $3000 Honda dollars with purchase on the 14' ctx1300's so $6500 and up prices on cycle trader at the moment for new ones with the incentive added in. :clap
  20. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    They are going cheap now. Most people have no idea what it is. The ones at that price are the standard model.
    The Deluxe has ABS/TC/Audio/Bluetooth.
    If they have the correct photo displayed, then the blacked out wheels will be deluxe.