My Honda CTX1300 (My Girl)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Clampett, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'll only do it for 2014. It wasn't the best seller. I know I bought mine for about $5000 below retail...
  2. buck12ga

buck12ga Buck

Oddometer:
    Why did Honda whack the power so radically?
  3. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride a ST1300 and my dad owns a CTX1300. Let me just say that available horsepower and useable power are two different things. The CTX has as much useable power as the ST below, lets say, 100mph. When the light turns green and that big rear tire on the CTX gets hooked up it aint as easy to catch up and pass the CTX as the HP numbers would indicate.
  4. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    +1 on what he said. Years have been skipped before on other models. Just my opinion (everyone has one) but why have a 2015 when the 2014 was introduced so late?
    Two common things among riders. Where is 6th gear? My question was, being a cruiser and that torquey(is that a word) engine, why not just have 1, 3, 5, and add 7?
    The 2nd was what is wrong with the throttle? It is sensitive. Coming from a slower responsive cruiser, it takes some adjustment. I was OK with it from the 2nd week, but a couple guys never adjusted and sold theirs or purchased throttle kits to change it. But there are always some that dislike any model. For me, I don't like the shorter range 200+. I wish it had another gallon of fuel, but most cruiser rider stop twice in that distance anyhow. So I carry an extra gallon going out west because I tend to not look for fuel until on reserve.. The most I've ridden on one day was 370 miles. I've made this my only bike and looking forward to a real trip.
    The seat is not a Day Long Russell, but it is much better than other stock seats from Honda with the exception of the GLs of course.
  5. ChubbyDodds

ChubbyDodds I am a walrus.

Oddometer:
    The F6B and I could likely be described using the same label. :lol3

The CTX1300 is definitely a bike folks need to ride to understand the power. Usable power can be awesome and might surprise a few folks along the way.

I would gladly add a CTX1300 to the stable and still be as happy as a pig in mud!

Congratulations again on a great bike!
  6. LondonGent

LondonGent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clampett - congratulations! That is a great looking ride. I love the higher windshield and top box, makes it seem like a really practical tourer, like an ST1300 with an edge..
    Is it as comfortable as it looks? I bet it's a real torque monster and takes off like a scalded cat from just off idle!
    MizzouRider likes this.
  7. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanks. And you are right. The specs just don't do it justice. Another good thing about it.....doesn't need high octane fuel. Uses regular grade.
    As far as the taller shield, it is a bit warmer in the summer, but the audio can be heard above 50mph where I couldn't hear it with the shorty.
    Funny (at least for me), I only use the audio system when riding local. When serious LD riding, I don't use it.
  8. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer

Oddometer:
    ..............why not just have 1, 3, 5, and add 7?

I agree completely. I am quite tired of the "it needs another cog in the tranny" comments from the media about this and every bike with a five speed transmission. This bike certainly does not need a sixth gear....the top gear ratio would be the same either way you'd just have to shift more often to get there.

A gear indicator would be nice but I can say that about every bike I've owned since my V65Magna....
  9. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    Might be the most comfortable bike I've ever been on. Including GLs.

And the power specs are deceiving, great motor.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  10. LondonGent

LondonGent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like this rig - I love the ST1300 but, to me, this bike is like an ST but with a bit of character. The best bit is that this bike is very overpriced in the UK so used values won't hold up much.
    I may trade my Glee, which I really love, for this CTX thing, which really floats my boat.
    I love the wacky looks but the fact it's a Honda and totally practical does it for me.
    I've already seen a few used examples which are £1300-1400 less than new and haven't done many miles at all.
  11. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a great pic but it was a great ride on the Grand Tour of Georgia

[​IMG]
    MizzouRider likes this.
  12. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Well now, I think the pic looks fine. But......I say it looks much better in the large version!!!!!!
    The ONLY thing I can say is, that helmet looks hot. Am I just not seeing the vents?
    Edit: I see you are almost my neighbor. Might haveta ride over yore way one day.....
  13. pazzo

pazzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 looks great, love the red too!
  14. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ok, so it's Cuba Alabama....

If I say I road to York.......
    [​IMG]

Makes it sound like an international bike ride don't it.
    Well, it was still several hours ride from B'ham Alabama area to these little out of the way places. I'm still itching for a long ride. Went today and ordered new tires. I asked for an appointment to mount them. They were surprised. I usually do my own maintenance, so when I asked for new tires mounted, oil change, and final drive oil change he asked me if I was ok.
    :cry More $$$. But that's ok. I've just not wanted to work on My Girl the past 2 weeks.
    MizzouRider and klaviator like this.
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    What I liked about the audio wasn't necessarily the bluetooth, though it is a cool feature.
    I have a Sena headseat that pairs to the iPod I keep in the tiny compartment with the USB port. The USB port is what I liked for keeping the iPod charged on the road.

The only engines getting DCT are clean sheet designs like the VFR1200 was, and the 700 twin. The 1300 would have required a complete re-do.

I liked the function of the taller windscreen, which was one of the accessories I got with my "$1,000 of stuff" - but didn't care for the looks. I liked the bagger style and only used the tall screen in cold weather.
  16. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Yes sir, I understand the DCT is not an adaption but a complete concept.
    But, if they made one for this size bike, I think I'd have to break my promise to my bride about not buying another bike..:evil
    I think the shorty windscreen looks the best but, unfortunately for me, it isn't functional. The tall screen is perfect (for me). Air blast goes over my head, the little vents eliminate back pressure, no helmet buffeting, calms the air enough I can hear my tunes, and isn't too tall that I can't look over it.
    Ok, now that I think about it, if anyone makes one of those speeder bikes like in Star Wars that they used on Endor.....I'd be broke.:rofl
  17. EZMoney

EZMoney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that short "windscreen" ....I remember my first test ride on the CTX13 with that shorty screen. I felt like I was riding in the bed of a pickup truck at highway speeds.

I think if Honda had put the tall screen and trunk on this bike from the get-go they may have sold a few more of them initially. My dealer agrees.
  18. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The short windscreen looks good but in touring it's useless. It was thefirst thing to go on mine. The standard high windshield is adequate. The Cee Baileys are a bit better. I have the Honda.
    Second was the trunk. It makes the CTX the ultimate commuter in my opinion. I slip on the bluetooth audio and with the screen the music is good up to about 80.
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    July 10th went for a long ride. Lots of light rain. Finally dried out enough for one picture. Tried to take more, but just bad with water on the lens.
    This is at the Howell Heflin lock/dam (I think this is in Green County). Location: 32.839, -88.137
    This was the only time during this day that Brown Bear looked happy. She said I should have taken Panda instead!!!!! :lol3
    [​IMG]
    klaviator likes this.
  20. Rox

Rox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta ask: What's with the stuffed animals? :hmmmmm