My Honda CTX1300 (My Girl)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Clampett, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    So, when my wife saw all the other riders with them, she purchased several for me.
    They make people ask questions. And it works!!! Our mascots. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, some don't care.
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, I miss my old ST 1300 and have looked at the CTX, its an interesting bike.
  3. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    If you read the specs, then test ride it, you'll swear the specs are wrong. John Deere torque, Honda smoothness, the ST responsiveness, and a beauty in person that photos don't show.
    Plus, she needs a ride out to your state!!!!!!!
  4. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who rides a CTX 1300 and will need new tires in the next 90 days. Any suggestions?

NFE
  5. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Everyone is trying different things. The bike is only 1 year old. I just ordered Mich. Commander II for mine. The front back ordered.
    Another guy just installed the metzlers and first impression is very happy with traction/handling.
    The Mets come in the right size. For the Mich, I had to go up 5 on the profile for the rear. (50 to 55).
    The majority agree that the OEM tires are ok, but not great. The Mich Commanders are supposed to get longer life than any of the others but that may or may not be the case on this bike.
    Sorry I can't be more definite, but we are still learning on this bike.
    Suggest he join (if he hasn't already) the CTX1300 forum to keep up with the varying experiences of all the users.
  6. retrostude

retrostude Retrostude

Oddometer:
    I test rode one in May, very impressed. Despite being about $5k off MSRP, I did not pull the trigger (looking to retire $ometime $oon my$elf), so, I'd think about it. I climbed back on my 29 year old Yamaha Venture Royale and rode away, thinking it was still a pretty great bike (and that it probably would not give any quarter to the ctx in a stoplight contest). Still contemplating, as I can get a new Deluxe for ~$11500 here, which is a freaking amazing bargain. If only the side bags would hold a damned helmet (no I dont want a top box).
  7. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    I retired 2 years ago, without a penny in savings (Bama is one of the worse states for a man to get divorced). The CTX was my fourth bike since retiring. Total 27 or 28 in my life. My new bride says this is like a girlfriend. She can see a change (good) since I got her(CTX).
    I can put my half helmet in the bags, but you are right about being thin. Not enough room for a full or flip helmet. My Girl is my main ride. I have a cage, but only use it with the family, meaning I carry to much crap.
    I never liked top cases, until I tried one. Now, even when I don't use it, I leave it on. Kinda like wearing full face helmet, then wearing a 1/2 will feel naked.
    I must admit, I got the V47 topcase based entirely on looks.
    Not saying it will be the same for you, but for most people I know, we have more money after retiring than while working. No income tax on retirement in Bama, just Fed.
    Retirement is wonderful!!!!!!!
    klaviator likes this.
  8. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Michelin Commander II will only offer a belted front tire while the rear is a radial, 55 as noted.

Any concern about mixing these two construction types?

Thanks for your input,

NFE
  9. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Mixed this way before and ok. Can't put Radial on front and Bias on back though.
  10. retrostude

retrostude Retrostude

Oddometer:
    I vehemently disagree. Mixing bias and radial on a bike in EITHER direction is worse than staying all-bias. I run radials on my Vmax (Metzeler Z8) and bias (Shinko 230) on the Venture. Changing to radials transformed the Vmax from a cruiser to a twisties bike.
  11. retrostude

retrostude Retrostude

Oddometer:
    I have early retiree medical and a reduced pension available when I turn 55 next year so I have to watch the pennies.

I've been a naked bike guy but bought the Venture on a whim. in Seattle weather I actually wind up riding it more often than the Vmax. I use the top box because it keeps the Arai dry and because its there.

A big draw for me on the CTX1300 is looks, and the top box detracts from it. If the bags were fatter I'd probably own one already. Luckily I already have some great bikes! 20141104_164810_resized.jpg
  12. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    His question was if I had a concern mixing, not which was best. While I agree with your statement, it doesn't change my concern.
  13. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    You don't walk much, do ya? :lol3
    I'm just jealous cos you still got yours.......
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    After using the OEM Dunlops for a couple cycles of tire changes I switched to The Michelin Commander IIs on my Road King. They give a really plush ride and feel like they're really sticking to the road as you're strafing corners. BUT the wet grip leaves a lot to be desired. The rear tire breaks loose under power in first gear and they really slide over painted lines. Manhole covers are like ice. I haven't had the pleasure of riding on a dark wet country road with them yet but I think it'd be pretty dicey. Surprising because the Anakee IIIs I have on my Super Tenere grip really well in the wet.
  15. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Road King has power? :lol3 Ok, just kidding. I understand about the painted lines and metal covers. Does the RK have traction control? TC doesn't stop the slip entirely, but it does help in the recovery part as you come off the slippery surface and regain traction.
    In comparison to your OEM Dunlops, they are better in dry weather buy worse in wet? So, I'll ask this: When you buy new shoes again, will you stick with the MCII or go back to the OEM's? And are you running radials?
    I feel like a newbie returning to MC tires again. I have ridden dark side for the past 10 years. I find I'm letting the shops do more of my work as I get older.....uh, well, geezzzzz, my avatar is starting to look better than me!!!!!!!
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    My RK is making horsepower in the high 80s and torque in the mid 90s at the rear wheel, no traction control other than my right wrist, which has served me fairly well for the past 20 years of daily riding...

I had been running the stock Dunlop radials for about 65,000 of my 70,000 km and haven't experienced any wet grip issues with them. Although I like the dry handling and ride of the CIIs — seems plusher then the Dunlops though to make a fair judgement I'd need to ride them back to back with a set of new Dunlops — I need a tire with decent wet grip as well as I commute rain or shine by bike. So will likely go back to the Dunlops.
  17. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm sticking with my order on the CII's. After I get 'em mounted, change oil, & kiss the bride, I'll start on a westward ride and see how they do. Cabin fever. Maybe I can get a few good pics to post here.
    If they are good, I'll buy another set, if not, I'll replace 'em after the trip.

I have an old friend that rides a sportster. When we would be around a group of people he would start the brand bashing and of course I'd retaliate. Then just as we couldn't raise our voices any higher, we'd start at each other with our fists raised.
    Then when we were in reach, we hugged and slapped each other on the back proclaiming our 2 wheel brotherhood. It was always fun to see their faces.
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    If you don't ride in the rain much you'll probably love them. If you do, take care... :uhoh

I have a Harley but it's just one of about 60 bikes I've owned. Most have been Japanese with some BMWs thrown in. I hang on to it because it's a lot of fun and super comfortable to ride all day.

[​IMG]

Am a big V4 fan, had a VFR800 and an ST1100, would like to try a CTX one of these days. Honda needs to get on the cruise control bandwagon though with that kind of bike. Even Super Teneres come with it standard these days.
  19. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I try to avoid rain, but I still ride if it does. That is a great picture. She is a beauty.
    You got double the experience/ownership of me. Unless Honda comes out with a DCT version of this bike, this will probably (family doubts me) be my last bike.
    If you are like me, you loved them all, but not the same.
  20. Clampett

Clampett Uncle Jed

Oddometer:
    I get there before they open. This is not a dealer, but a repair shop. Even though they are local, they are one of the best shops I ever used.
    Edit: the sign reads "Know why dogs hang their head out the window? We do"
    [​IMG]
    My Girl is happy she is getting new shoes. Brown Bear is enjoying watching them work while I look at more accessories.
    [​IMG]
    MizzouRider, klaviator and rauchman like this.