My Idaho

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by thetourist, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    I like the vintage pics, the rest are great also.
  2. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    YO! dude, must not have got the memo, Idaho SUCKS! you gotta quit postin the real deal and show em pics of death valley or something.

Pretty soon everyone will be coming here cuz it is SO awesome...er I mean really sucks, go to Utah, Colorado, Montana or someplace else :)
  3. doublen

doublen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I like my solitude! :D
  4. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    You are so right, I forgot.... absolutely nothing here, even PBS states that. so stay on the freeway and pass on through but leave some money.:shog

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZBBOZCFMrng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. bigskydrift

bigskydrift dual sport hooligan

Oddometer:
    I ride into Idaho often as it is so close to my home ground in Missoula, but don't tell 'em to go to Montana, it really sucks here too.....
  6. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not as bad as North Idaho...suckhole of the Northwest.

Actually, right now it really is...many feet of that stupid white crap in them thar hills.
  7. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
  8. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Elegant photo -- very striking country. Been enjoying your thread. Thanks! :clap :clap :clap
  9. roarin calhoun

roarin calhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last week the Idaho wife & I got snowed-mudded out of a trip we started thru Yellow Pine to Shoup into the Whiteclouds(on the Tenere). Spent the night in Yellow Pine's primordial "hotel"--LOVE it. It's just too late in year for mtn riding,darn it. SOOooo I'm reduced to lookin at your pictures here,waiting for ski time to show up. You got GREAT picts here. Love'm. Thanks. Makes me lust after next spring ,already. Will head to the Palouse at 1st snowmelt. Great links on this thread too, by the way.
  10. thetourist

Oddometer:

Thanks. Glad you like the photos.

There is a ridge right behind my house, on the ID/WA state border. Latah and Whitman Counties are the heart of the Palouse. I often run up here at dusk to catch the light. That is why there are a lot of shots very similar.

The best time to visit the Palouse by cycle is mid June to mid July. Earlier is wet and by mid July the green is going away. To the west dries up a bit earlier. Lots of good pavement riding to the west of Moscow, ID. Forests to the east , Deep canyons 30-40 miles to the south.

Sept is still summer, here. Mid Sept the nights will cool down but 60's to 70's during the day. Oct gets cooler, but can still be mostly dry right up till Holloween, which is first skiffs of snow.
  11. Rapturee

Rapturee n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics, thanks so much for taking the time to make the ride and remembering to take them! I am just north of you a bit in Post Falls and just purchased a nice 88' XT350 and am excited about putting some miles on it! The guy I purchased it from geared it down for climbing in the hills, so I need to regear for some highway use. Hope to see you guys around sometime. Do you know of any others that are from our area, Spokane or abouts..? Mike :{) :D
  12. thetourist

Oddometer:

Welcome. A huge amount of top notch riding available. For a riding buddy go to the Regional Forums, then to the North West Forum. Look for the Spokane Riders thread. There was a get together in Rockford today.

Come spring there will be plenty of riding. I post about a day before if I'm looking for company. I usually wait till 10:00 or so. After it warms up a bit, and I don't leave if it is raining. :lol3

My brother is posting our ride to Glacier Park in Northwest Regionals right now. When he is done I'll post a link. We did a week on the road and half in north Idaho.
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Spectacular...on my bucket list!
  14. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap Fell in love with that area when attempting to follow the Lewis/Clark Trail with a detour to Glacier Park in '97 (R11GS) then to Lolo Pass and a bit beyond and again in '04 (R1150GS) all the way to the Columbia River Valley to the Pacific. What a great ride and country, and really need to get back there. :clap:clap:clap
  15. Chiriqui Charlie

Chiriqui Charlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is driving me crazy, making me very homesick. I lived for years in Post Falls, and rode most of the roads shown here. I'd love to return for a tour! :cry
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Great photos of a great state.
  17. thetourist

Oddometer:
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need to get together this spring and do some more riding. There are so many places I want to explore.
  19. bigskydrift

bigskydrift dual sport hooligan

Oddometer:
    hey sorebutt, if ya ever want a riding partner in the Missoula area give me a shout, I am always looking for company and love ridin' western MT & North idaho.....
  20. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll drop you a note this spring. It will probably be a while before a guy can get into the mountains again. It was the end of summer before you could do the Lolo Motorway last year.

I always like to do a ride up Lolo pass in Feb. when there is a nice day and snow is off the road. It is beautiful when there is lots of snow. I always get strange looks when I pull through the parking lot on my motorcycle at the pass when everyone else is on a snowmobile or skies.