My Idaho

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by thetourist, Mar 12, 2011.

1. roarin calhoun

roarin calhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When's usually the earliest in spring you can ride the Palouse area? I live near it in mountains & snow stays around here til June sometimes. I usually head to Owhyees & Nev for early rides.The Palouse looks neat. Thanks.
  2. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot depends on the winter and spring. One problem is you can have a nice sunny day in late Feb. where you get 50 degrees, but cold nights. You can hit black ice in every shady place or every hill. Even the shadow of a tree may be icy. You can ride the valley almost all year. There are some nice rides along the rivers.
  3. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    What Sorebutt said. Hwy 12 is "the Valley" much warmer there.

Here on the real Palouse we are 1500-2000 ft higher. More wind, maybe more rain, definitely more snow.

Day rides are availabel from April on, but scenery is drab with dull gray skies and rain squalls. Temps in the 40's

June is full green and weather usually dries up about mid June. Lots of 50* days and some 70* days.

Watch the 10 day weather for Moscow Idaho. 10-20% chance of rain is almost always dry weather. The storms start in Pendleton area and head NE to Moscow.

To the west, Palouse Falls, Washtucna area, it is drier and warmer, in the spring, if the sun is out..
  4. roarin calhoun

roarin calhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I usually ride south Idaho & north Nevada that time of year. I have ridden some where you guys are. had a great ride west of Lewiston on back roads up in those barely forested hills. Saw a lot of elk,which surprised me. Was really interesting country.Will do more up there. Have ridden all over highway 12 & roads & trails off of it. Love that country. Thanks for the picts & info.
  5. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    On that note,How much snow did you guys get this year? More than normal? And how about sleeping bag #s for that time of year up there?
    And please go on and on!!
  6. Vinbowie

Vinbowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really incredible country.
    Thanks for the report.
    :clap:clap:clap
  7. Wonko T. Sane

Wonko T. Sane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crap. I miss the Palouse.

Except the snow. :rofl
  8. thetourist

Oddometer:
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Good grief, where has this thread been all my life? Great pics of an amazing area.
  10. thetourist

Oddometer:
  11. Thacher

Thacher That Journey Thing

Oddometer:
    Great pics and information, Tourist. Thanks for these. My daughter lives in Montana and last summer my son-in-law and I rode KLRs to Glacier from Missoula, with the girls following in a pickup. We camped at Polebridge for a few days--cool to see your pic of the Mercantile. I feel lucky to be exploring a most beautiful part of the country now and then, and your posts are inspiring me to do more and ride into Idaho.
  12. cougsfan

cougsfan cougsfan

Oddometer:
    Great thread, Tourist! Your pictures are very professional looking. I am looking forward to touring your (our) home area. Pittsburgh Landing.... another place to add to my list.
  13. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ......:thumb
  14. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Nice photos in here
    HTML:

15. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Visitor caging through with the family in mid/late-September.

I am dragging the wife and the 4 legged son with me in the truck this September. I was figuring on leaving Butte and taking the ID 1 to the ID 38 and then heading south on the 93 hopping off on the 75 and if the weather is not too bad taking the ID 21 into Boise. We are looking a spending a few days in around Boise, on the north side with the idea of a retirement home, thinking about Horsehoe Bend general area, that is TBD at this point. After we are through I was thinking of taking the 55 north to the US 95 and then head west on the 12.

Any good side trips while we are in the area? My truck is a 4x long bed ext cab so tight stuff would be a problem, but dirt roads are a :clap

Sorry for the hijack.

OBTW, great thread. Beautiful pictures!
  16. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Tourist, any chance of you adding to this? I know there is a lot more good stuff in your neighborhood you can make others jealous with. :deal :D

(Don't forget the flowers :flug)
  17. Drummer

Drummer BMW/Sonor

Oddometer:
    As I look through these pictures and posts, I am again amazed at just how beautiful the west side of the USA is and how different than the east. You are very lucky to live there and enjoy that beauty.

Thanks for the posts ...
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I was looking for something else and ran across this. It has some great stuff in it so I decided a bump was needed.

Hi thetourist. :wave
    Bob likes this.
  19. thetourist

Oddometer:
    Hi ya, :wave

I need to post some more pics, but having trouble with my account. This computer stuff is beyond me.
    N-Id-Jim and Ladybug like this.
  20. Monzo

Monzo n00b

Oddometer:

Went to school at UofI...thanks for sharing!