My KLR (Mis?) Adventure

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by TurTal, Jul 25, 2018.

1. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good point. If my Ural had been totally paid for before the warranty had expired, I'd probably still have it. Without a note, I can afford to buy parts for repairs. I can deal with a "problematic" bike if I'm not still paying for it. But having a monthly note on something I can't even use is where I draw the line. In the future, I'm going to try to save cash for all my bike purchases. That practically guarantees that I'll always be sitting in the cheap seats, but that's alright with me. So far, the Ural has been the most expensive bike I've ever purchased and probably will remain so.
    brstar and oneodd1 like this.
  2. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with "cheap seats". I've almost always bought used. It has worked well for me and I've been pretty lucky to get good bikes, with the exception of one, on 03 650 GS.

Of course I stay out of showrooms where, if given the opportunity to test ride, may find out how much better new bikes are. :-)

Two exceptions, a 1971 Honda 160 and a 2013 Wee Strom.

I'm thankful there are those who buy new bikes so there are good used ones on the market.:clap
    Bobmws, jwaller and FR700 like this.
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    This.

The amount of clean, low mileage bikes out there is phenomenal.
    cycleman2, Bobmws, jwaller and 3 others like this.
  4. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t know if it got in the tube or not. If so, it’s holding the air in. Either way, Lady Luck was with me. I’ll go pull this out and see whether or not the tube lets all the air out.
    IMG_1192.jpg
    Ridn3, Bobmws and Bar None like this.
  5. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1195.jpg
    Bobmws, brstar and Bar None like this.
  6. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    WOW! That is a new one on me.

:lol3
    jwaller likes this.
  7. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Well, did it get the tube or not. My guess not.

Also, new tires as those obviously are, are much more prone to pick up nails, screws etc because the rubber is still soft. As it ages it hardens and the chances decrease.
    jwaller likes this.
  8. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I got really lucky. That, or my guardian angel just got another few grey hairs. It missed the tube. I guess the problem with all the riding I do is that I'm always on new tires because I wear them out before they get the chance to age and harden. That rear tire has approximately 3500 miles I've put on it since mounting it at the beginning of October. Good for another 2-3 months? I hope it lasts me to spring break.

Okay, one thing I DO miss about my Ural is the spare tire and the room to comfortably carry all the tools needed to change it on the side of the road. I've started carrying additional tools, just about everything I could need, but the kit weighs quite a bit and it's carried on a belt around the waist. And I haven't even got tire irons I can carry. The ones I have at the house are too big to carry.

Hope to get some really light, small tire irons and some rideon really soon. And a couple spare tubes I can carry on the bike somehow. And some way to lift the rear tire roadside without having to resort to mounting a center stand.
    Bobmws likes this.
  9. Tall Man

Tall Man Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel

Oddometer:
    On my DR650, I carry my tools in three containers: a tool tube, a fender bag and in a zippered document bag that is carried in my top box. I'm fairly well prepped for most foreseeable roadside triage needs.

The tool tube is a long, aftermarket accessory that mounts in the OEM tube location behind the side panel. So, it's functionally invisible and not asking any rent.

The fender bag is secured to the front fender. It's lightweight and invisible when I'm riding, so it's not asking any rent either.

The document bag, which is quite robust, is stored in a weatherproof hard case on my rear rack. Top boxes have spoiled me, and I install one on every bike. So, although it's not invisible, and the pouch inside pays rent in the form of the space that it occupies in the [smallish] hard case, I don't mind.

Several standout items in my inventory include a trail stand and a well-regarded bicycle pump.

As the KLR is the DR's kissing cousin, I'm sure you can configure a similar setup here as your needs require.
    jwaller likes this.
  10. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    jwaller likes this.
  11. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR rear tire is a 17". There's not an option for a 17" Tubliss or believe me, I'd invest.
    TurTal likes this.
  12. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn...I 4got they haven't come out with a 17" yet

The good news is my TurTal tubeless has been working flawless so no need for Tubliss anymore as mine is cheaper and runs cooler

13. Bar None

Oddometer:
    TurTal,
    Did you ever post up your TurTal tubeless information?
  14. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    No...we've been traveling quite a bit so I haven't had the opportunity to finish the step by step video I was trying to edit this last year
    Bar None likes this.
  15. Bar None

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^
    Waiting with bated breath to see the video.
    My guinea pig bike is ready. Just need some tubeless tires on the 2018 DF250RTG.
    1213181454.jpg
    jwaller and TurTal like this.
  16. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still the only factory defect I’ve seen with my KLR. The seat had a sheepskin over it for an iron butt ride I did in October. I pulled that off a couple weeks ago to discover that my seat cover was coming off.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yesterday I bought a staple gun and took care of that.
    [​IMG]

Today I spent some time doing other routine maintenance. I just hit 7500 miles some time last week, probably Thursday. I know that means oil change, but I did one at 3750 miles, right before the iron butt ride, and again at about 5000 miles right after. I’ll dump the oil currently in the bike when I do the doo in the next few weeks. Today I cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the chain. I then checked the doohickey adjuster bolt thing. As soon as it was loosened about half a turn out, I felt the spring pull the slack out. I’m certain I’m still good to go for the moment, as in I’m certain the spring hasn’t broken yet and was still able to take up some slack this time. So for now I feel good. I ran the motor a bit before the adjustment and it sounded like a KLR. After the adjustment I ran the motor and it sounded like a happier KLR, as smooth as I’ve ever heard a KLR run.

Along with the doohickey upgrade, I’ve ordered the Tusk low profile oil drain bolt. That stock bolt just hangs down too low. Seeing what Ryan F9 did to that KLR yesterday has me looking to get a better skid plate ASAP.

For now, everything is going great with my KLR. I think I acquired some sort of neurosis with my Ural ownership. Something was always wrong with that bike, always some sort of little niggle. If ever things were going smoothly, it was right before major catastrophe like a blown cylinder, gearbox, or clutch. Everything is so smooth on my KLR right now it has me feeling that I’m about to be met with some sort of disaster.

One good thing about previously being a Ural owner: I definitely spend more time maintaining my bikes than I ever did in the past. This KLR should last forever.

Merry Christmas y’all.
    Bar None, BMWBUD, TurTal and 2 others like this.
  17. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1205.jpg

Keeping the stereotypes alive
  18. Tall Man

Oddometer:
    To do that, you'll want a roundel. :D
    Bar None and jwaller like this.
  19. Bar None

Oddometer:
    I was going to order two for my China bike so I could park up front at the Starbucks down the street but the BMW roundels are too expensive.
    jwaller and Tall Man like this.
  20. Tall Man

Oddometer: