My KTM 950 Story....lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pyndon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :tb Pics please...

Hall of Wisdom? :nod :nod :nod
  2. sidestand

sidestand bristol, uk.

Oddometer:
    pyndon,just what im after as my thread says,come on i need to see them on the bike!!
  3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Pyndon

Well I took your thread as inspiration, and currently, my 950 went from this [​IMG]

to absolutely BLING shiny.

My best has been the removal of pitted anodising on the swingarms to look MIRROR like. Truly, they shine, I can even see my teeth in them.

Taking that as motivation, and because the pieces were largely all scuffed up by boot wear etc, I did the same to the:

1) Gear lever
    2) Brake lever (foot of course)
    3) Parts of the subframe that are ally
    4) Passenger footpegs.

Seems a bit daft, because at the end of it, and VERY tiring removing of the anodising, I have bare aluminium left which I am sure will get scuffed badly.

What do I do to protect the aluminium that I have worked hard to make bare? :bluduh I am in SAfrica, so brands wont mostly mean much. Thanks a ton.

So now the question is:
  4. MikeCont

MikeCont Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer:
    from a gs rider: clear coat 'em. The coating won't last forever, but from the looks of your "before" picture, nothing will:evil You KTM doods are, let us say, interesting. Fun thread. After all of the bling is done, go out and break your bikes:norton
  5. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    hehe thanks mate. What would I use to clear coat them though? I am an aluminium noob :wink:
  6. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take them of and go powder coat them brilliant orange.....mmmmmmm....rather black or chrome will look better:wink: :lol3 No serious, powder coating is not expensive and do last a long time with lots of bling colours just for you:lol3
  7. MikeCont

MikeCont Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer:
    Get a clear urethane rattle can. It will last for a while, then, after you have banged it up, rattle can it again.:deal
  8. SST

SST Lost again... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap Did you get front and rear wave rotors? Looking forward to your pics and part #s.

Thanks again for your great posts. Your bike looks bitchen'.
  9. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    :clap:clap:clap

Now I think I have an understanding (somewhat) of just whats what with this bike. Great thread for noobs like me.

I'm not worthy. :dunno You are a master. :0-0 The Pope of KTM village.:pope Putting you at the top of my substantial bookmark file. :devildog
  10. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    mmm thanks! This goes with my cheap ass wanting a million buck solution for ten bucks kind of mindset :evil

Michnus, all I can say to those colours on a black bike is :puke1

Cant imagine doing swingarm, gear lever, brake lever and passenger pegs in those colours. No way hose~!:huh Maybe I will donate it then to slummies :rofl
  11. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    I find that a bit of car polish keeps the alloy looking nice and shiny.

You just reapply it when you wash your bike
  12. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    perhaps i can clarify the hall of wisdom requests (and hope i haven't got it wrong)

f=ma has put together the start of a thread of links to common topics on this site inc a link to this thread. Arch has made it a sticky, indeed it is the first thread on this forum.

John asked for how submittals in the 3rd sticky thread- I pm'd him saying his message was probably now redundant due to f=ma's thread and john disagreed (though I'm still not sure why)

HOW submittals are going to be less than useful if we don't edit and build upon them. I know we can at least add or edit our posts in f=ma's thread and you may note i've been adding things as recurring issues come up on this forum, I'm not sure if we can edit HOW posts.

If you decide to add to f=ma's thread please limit it to link posts rather than just comments.

We will over time build a very useful resource in that thread and it will be under the control of the people who use it. My two cents worth.

Thanks, mouse.
  13. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well finally here they are! My company decided they wanted to send me to England for three weeks so the bikes been parked up and I have not had any time to post on the Forum. Nevertheless, I'm back and here they are. I took the first ride today with them and I am very impressed. They took some bedding in but they are very powerfull and give lots of feel and feedback. I like them.

Here they are it their packaging with part numbers etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of the fromts out of the packaging:

[​IMG]

Loading the bike up on the center stand enough to get the front wheels out!! :1drink

[​IMG]

Changing the front disks and pads:

[​IMG]

Before and after on the front:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fitting the rear one:

[​IMG]

Before and after on the rear:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And some pretty pictures of her with her new stoppers on!!! :lol3 :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope the part numbers are useful to some of you. The disks cost me around $400 (USD). Not sure what the retail price is on them but it will be somewhere around there I an sure, maybe $500??.

Did 220 miles today and saw a few fellow ADV Riders out on the farm roads near Ganbury Texas. They were on BMW's but couldn't resist giving the Big Orange Crush the wave it so deserved. :D Naurally I gave then a good old ADV wave back :wave
  14. SST

Oddometer:
    Those wavy disks look great! I want some, too.

Can you tell me which part # I need for just the left front disk as I have the one caliper set-up on my 950. Thanks Pyndon.:clap
  15. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the part numbers and other information is available from www.braking.com. The disk you want is KT03FLD (front left). Glad you asked this question because they are not clearly marked and I happen to have mounted mine on the wrong sides :eek1 . Will change them over tonight.

Hope this helps.......
  16. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. SST

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I did notice the different part #s and that is why I asked. I checked the Braking website and all is good. My dealer caleld Braking USA and they said they have only sold three sets and are NOT reordering and may not import anymore,
  18. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be interested to see if you will notice a difference in brake feel or force since you now have floating rotors and calipers. I think it is general design practice to have one or the other or none but not both.

Review on Pyndon.:freaky
  19. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm.......Are all calipers not floating by simple fact that the pistons can retract? The only reason the Brembo caliper has sliders is because it is only a two piston caliper. This allows the rear part of the caliper to move as well as the pistons thus giving the same effect as a four pot caliper.

The brakes are must better now, more progressive, more feel and more importantly, always there when you need them. I am very happy! :D
  20. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Pyndon - tell me - I did a complete maintenance on my brakes. Is it okay to put a bit of copper slip on the piston which pushes the brake pad onto the disc? I am not talking really a lot or even inside, but just on the upper portions of the piston which will likely see the first seal and probably not make the second seal at all, ever.

Whatcha think?:ear