My KTM 950 Story....lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pyndon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, copper slip on the pistons. I personally would not but I cannot see it doing any harm. I think the seals are strong enough to just clean it off as you push the piston back. I just use a light oil on the pistons for assembly purposes and stop the seals being damaged and then copper grease on the sliders for the rear part of the caliper.
  2. sidestand

sidestand bristol, uk.

Oddometer:
    pyndon,i bought the front ones first, 2 weeks later the rear one, then patterns ran different ways so i had to make sure this was right, talon u.k emailed braking and they said this was right.If anyone is going to purchase these excellent brakes just remember kt08fld front disk goes on the gas/throttle side of the bike.just give us directional arrows braking.
  3. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, directional arrows would be iditoproof. Nevertheless, the website www.braking.com does identify KT03 goes on the left and KT08 on the right as you so rightly stated.

I love them, as they are getting bedded up they are coming better and better. It even does huge stoppies now!! :eek1

Pyn
  4. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The enitre caliper bodies on the 950 front brakes float on two pins so they self center if you will with the rotor. That is why the stock rotors were not "floaters". They did not need to be with the calipers ability to stay centered. You now have what would be considered a full floating system which should be really good. The modern hyper sports bikes have their calipers radial mounted which are fixed where they do not move or give at all. Their disks are floating to aide centering. Keep us updated as they get broken in. If they are much improved over the stock setup we are all ears.:ear
  5. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be careful.

It's the slip and grip of the seal on the piston that provides disk brakes' self-adjusting function. The seal deforms first, then the piston slides past; when pressure is released, the seal returns to its original shape, pulling the piston clear of the disk ever so slightly. At least, that's how they worked way back when disks were new on motos.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
  7. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goss, do you want a fight about it, you are only in Dallas 40 mins down the road!! Only Joking :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 . Interesting stuff.

The 950 uses 2 pot calipers as you know. The body has to move on a one sided, two pot caliper otherwise when the pads wear down the pistons would push the disk over to one side bending it. So, your right in what your saying that the caliper is designed like this to keep itself centered on the disk however, this is no different to a sports bike. On a sports bike with a fixed four pot caliper, radially mounted or not, the caliper does exactly the same however, all four pistons natually adjust to to center of the disk. On the two pot KTM caliper the two pistons and the two sliders create the same effect as a four pot caliper just with a little bit more caliper movement due to tolerances in the pins/sliders :eek1 .

Stephen is also right about the seals being used to pull the pistons away from the disk. In world rally cars they run what is known as knock off springs in the back of the pistons which apply a light contant force onto the disk so that the driver always has instant braking when he hits the pedal. If you've ever had a severe head shake on a motorcycle, the pistons can become pushed backwards a little. Then when you go for the brakes you get a long lever. Knock off springs stop this.

They are now fully bedded in now and yes they are much beter than before, but then again Stevo Rino had shafted the old disks :D . Hey Steve, where's the rest of my bike you promised??

Happy riding all,

Pyn
  8. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pyn, the only reason I may have you come over to my house is to help me sort out this new popping issue that recently cropped up. We can fight my 950 :lol3 If you read my recent thread on intermittent popping and have any ideas let me know. After researching some other posts here it sounds like I may have a vacuum leak around the carbs somewhere. I will be working on that this morning. Sorry for the high jack. But you have done one exceptional job at the total package you received!:freaky
  9. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goss,

I did see you had a popping issue, when I first got my bike it was aweful, popping on decel all the time. Now it sound like a Ducati superbike!!

If you ever need a helping hand just give me a call, in fact, I think we should get together anyway for a good old chin wag and take those puppies for a spin sometime. I'll PM you my number, check your PM's.

I'm in the garage myself this morning trying to sort out this clutch noise I have developed. Hope it's nothing serious. Aren't these bikes great!!

Lyndon
  10. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I had no plans today, the motorcross track was closed so I decide to head out with a full tank of gas and see where the wind took me. No map, no GPS, nothing but sence of direction! 180 miles later I was back at home with a few pictures to share! 70% on road and 30% off although I'm not sure if I should have been in some places :eek1 . I rode for 22 miles down on the dirt about 50yds adjacent to a main road doing the same speed at the traffic on the main road, it was awesome. Everybody was looking over, they must have thought I was nuts!!<!-- / message -->

950 in Springtown Texas.

[​IMG]

This overgrown old track down the side of a strem was fun but in places it was like quick sand.

[​IMG]

This next one just confirms the challenges us advriders have in Texas.........eeerm none, it's flat, very flat! Look how far you can see in the distance.

[​IMG]

Rode through this little place :wink: .

[​IMG]
    Sneeze Juice and Mr Head like this.
  11. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I had no plans today, the motorcross track was closed so I decide to head out with a full tank of gas and see where the wind took me. No map, no GPS, nothing but sence of direction! 180 miles later I was back at home with a few pictures to share! 70% on road and 30% off although I'm not sure if I should have been in some places :eek1 . I rode for 22 miles down on the dirt about 50yds adjacent to a main road doing the same speed at the traffic on the main road, it was awesome. Everybody was looking over, they must have thought I was nuts!!<!-- / message -->

950 in Springtown Texas.

[​IMG]

This overgrown old track down the side of a strem was fun but in places it was like quick sand.

[​IMG]

This next one just confirms the challenges us advriders have in Texas.........eeerm none, it's flat, very flat! Look how far you can see in the distance.

[​IMG]

Rode through this little place :wink: .

[​IMG]
  12. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw this in the distance so I navigated my way to it. A huge Texas oil drilling platform making all kinds of funny grinding and grating noises. Thought it was the KTM at first :D !

[​IMG]

And finally this one is for you Dad. Look what I found on my travels!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it, I finally managed to get some dirt on the bike, OK, it was only a bit of Texas dust but still, its dirt! I think I'll leave it there, it suits it! :1drink
    Mr Head likes this.
  13. VDG

VDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Sometimes is good to take the bike and drive with no plans.....
  14. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:

Well as some of you already know I have spent an age playing around with my jetting on the 950 to get it something like how it should be. I have built many race engines for bikes in the past few years and also spent hours on the Dyno setting them up. Today it was time to get my 950 on the dyno and check that the settings I had chosen (based on seat of the pants riding) were actually something like close!

So this morning I headed into the garage and stripped one side of the bike down to gain access to the carbs to make any changes that would be required. Jumped on the bike and headed down the Dyno shop to see a man about some horses!!

These are the setting I had chosen from all tests and changes I had made previously.

Engine: Stock 950
    Pilot Jet: 45 (stock was 42)
    IAMS: 1.25 turns from fully closed (stock was 2.25 with 42 pilot)
    Needle: Stock
    Needle Position: 3<SUP>rd</SUP> Clip (this is rasing the needle one position from stock)
    Front Main Jet: 165
    Rear Main Jet: 170
    Float Height: Stock Setting
    Other Carb Mods: None
    Airbox: Stock
    Air Filter: Stock
    Silencers: Remus Carbon Revolution (with no inserts)

After arriving at the Dyno and getting the bike set-up and tied down it wa time to start testing! At first I started with the front cylinder and did some idle and just off-idle AFR tests and found that the idle AFR was a little rich if anything hovering between 12 and 13. I could probably go to 1.0 turns out on the IAMS to lean the idle mixture a little but it is pretty close none the less.

Next up I did three full throttle runs from 3000rpm to the limiter in 3<SUP>rd</SUP> and 4<SUP>th</SUP> gears. The chart below shows one of the first full throttle runs I did with the bike before making any adjustments. I was extreemely surprised how close it was to what it should be from an AFR point of view.

[​IMG]

Power and Torque very smooth and just about where I expected them to be. There’s a rich spot between 9000rpm and the rev limiter which would be hard to dial out. I have seen this before on other 950 results and other bikes too. It could be due to an airbox restricton at such high engine speeds or just a characteristic of the engine. I'll not be loosing sleep over it though!

After the full throttle runs I carried out a whole buch of tests in 4<SUP>th</SUP> and 6<SUP>th</SUP> gears under varying loads, throttle postions and engine speeds and the AFR was really good in all situations varying between 12.5:1 and 13.5:1 on the AFR.

After doing all of this it was time to switch to the rear cylinder and run the same set of tests on this. The chart below shown a comparison of the two cylinders under a full throttle run condition.

[​IMG]

As you can see the AFR on the rear cylinder is way richer between 3000rpm and 6000rpm but then comes really close between 6000rpm and 9000rpm. I could go from a 170 to a 168 on the rear cylinder but to be honest its probably not a bad thing running a little richer at the rear as the cylinder doeas get hotter as there’s no air flow around it. So I think I’ll leave the main jet alone.

My only concern was to get the rear cylinder closer between 3000rpm and 6000rpm but when I did the part throttle tests under varying loads, throttle positions and engine speeds, the AFR was actually closer to the 13:1 mark (around 12.5 to 13.1). So I concluded that the settings I have at the moment probably give me the best posible results for a varying range of conditions and decided to leave everything just how it was.

It just goes to show how close you can set a bike up using the old fashined ‘seat of the pants’ and ‘feel’ approach when it comes to carburation. I surprised myself how close I got it and am very happy with the results.

I am getting 34.5mpg (US Gal.) average with 17:45 gearing which is good enough for me. Got 200 miles out of the last tank, 47miles with the reserve light on (I thought I was going to be pushing!) :D .

I hope this setting information and results is useful or interesting to some of you.

Now I just need to go ride :ricky :ricky

Happy riding everyone and thanks for reading my thread.

Pyn
  15. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    no probs Pyn ....... love to read it :D
  16. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I played yet again, decided to tweak those IAMS to 1.0 turns. I also flushed the cooling system and filled it with some freash engine ice :slurp. She also got a good clean :thumb.

[​IMG]

Did you notece anything different from before? :D

[​IMG]

Well, she got treated to some more orange crush.........:0-0 ........check out the wheels!

[​IMG]

Happy riding :ricky ,

Pyn
  17. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I got the same thing in my undies:D
  18. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    Pyn- I know nothing about these bikes, except for what people tell me. With that- is your chain too tight? Scot Harden did a demo for us in Elko re tension. Just curious if your's is ok.
  19. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    After everything I have done in this thread, do you not think I know how to tension a drive chain properly?!? Thanks for asking though but the answer to your question is yes, it is tensioned correctly. You can even see the sag on the lower part of the chain in the pictures.

Question is, is yours tensioned properly?? :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
  20. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

What a comeback!!:deal