My KTM 950 Story....lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pyndon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Oldstuff

Oldstuff Old Rally Man

Oddometer:
    Very tough stage 3 today and not helped by being told he had plenty of time in the neutralised zone only to find he hadn't. Long day at altitude doesn't help. Finished the stage 60th but overall 51st and 4th Malle Moto.
    neduro likes this.
  2. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I felt for Pyn hearing how he got punk edits on his liason. It looks like he responded well today. He won in his class today and knocked down time on the leader. A very successful campaign so far. ON IT indeed!
    oldfuddy likes this.
  3. Oldstuff

Oldstuff Old Rally Man

Oddometer:
    Great stage 4, 36th stage finish and 1st Malle Motto.
    43rd overall 3rd Malle Motto
  4. Oldstuff

Oldstuff Old Rally Man

Oddometer:
    Not a great stage 5, making life difficult for malle motto but still a long way to go.
    60th on stage finish 5th Malle Motto
    43rd overall 3rd Malle Motto
    Stay positive and ride strong
    neduro and mroddis like this.
  5. Greedyg76

Greedyg76 Certified Card Carrying A-hole

Oddometer:
    Keep climbing that ladder Pyn! :clap
  6. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    They are all great stages if you finish in one piece!
    Pyndon, Y E T I, dooby and 1 other person like this.
  7. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    Moved up to 2nd in Malle Moto today. Pyn it!!!
    Pyndon and mroddis like this.
  8. Elton Berry

Elton Berry n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Pyn,
    New to the site but looking forward to getting to know everyone. I have a Super Duke 990 and next big run will be from Sacramento Ca. to San Felipe Mexico in about 3 weeks! Started prepping yesterday and since you have posted some awesome pics of the tear down of your lc8 , i had a question you may be the only one who has the answer to...
    Replacing the counter shaft seal was pretty straight forward until i put the new one in and didn't check my depth. The one i removed was pretty much flush with the case. I pushed the new one in considerably deeper. In your pics it looks like the rod is smooth and doesn't have a groove or anything that would indicate it has to go in a specific place. Wondering if i need to pull that one and place another thats flush with the case.
    I do apologize for asking you for advice out of the gate , but its my first KTM and its hard to find info around here. Thanks man!
  9. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey lyndon, just curious. At the time how did the renazco suede seat hold up in the British weather?
    buzzardair likes this.
  10. whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And come to think of it...several years down the line are you still so enthusiastic about the 950 ? Or are there recent developments outside your 690 Rallye project which you would prefer over the 950. Asking because I own a 1190 r and was offered a 950 as a project bike for a reasonable price...now I'm thinking 950 or 701...
  11. hambone950s

hambone950s n00b

Oddometer:
    Ayup
  12. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search "Races to Places" on YouTube and start at the beginning
  13. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dakar 2018.....who's in on this??

Hey peeps, I've had an idea.....and as a long term ADV Rider and contributor I believe this might just be something great, especially for all you people that love to follow the race.

After following the Dakar for years and getting frustrated how little is actually shared, I've always been thinking how I can do something different to help fill that void and bring a more 'true to life" experience. Well, the opportunity is here but I need help. Please take the time to watch the video and read the Kick Starter page, it is important to understand that this is NOT to fund my Dakar, this is about getting the funds together to enable daily video releases like never seen before, its for the followers (you!). We always hear how bad the coverage of Dakar is, well, lets try and make a change together. I can't do this alone but thing we can considerably improve it together.

I need your help sharing on as many media channels as possible, we have just 22 days left to hit the target and pull this off. You have my word I'll put 100% in as always.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62691083/races-to-places-live-dakar-rally-2018-ft-lyndon-po

If you don't know who I am or want to confirm my credibility for being a contributor to ADVmoto media, please check out www.racestoplaces.com or any of my media channels on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or even the threads I have in this place.

Thanks so much in advance, lets do great things together.

Rally regards,

Lyndon
    bananu7, Kona990, yosso and 6 others like this.
  14. Roadinator

Roadinator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Lyndon. Will be supporting this and look forward to seeing you kick ass. Let me know if you need media help...
    John
  15. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a KTM dealership but, despite what dealers say, they never know everything about everything ! Some years ago we had a 950 Adventure in with an oil pressure light on and lots of cam chain rattle on start up. Of course we now all see that as an immediate sign of water pump seal failure but at that time, the LC8 range was still a bit new and we were all learning their little quirks.

Anyway, a bit of internet research led us to this thread and Pyndons now infamous 'how to change a water pump seal' video. It gave us the answer we wanted and told us how to do the fix....... See, dealers always don't know it all !

A bit over five years ago Pyndon announced that he was racing in Dakar 2013. We are keen Dakar supporters and it was time for us to give a little back in return for everything Pyn had done for the world wide KTM and Adv community. We got in touch and sorted out a deal to support Pyn for Dakar 2013. That carried on and went on into the Races to Places project and then Dakar 2017. And, rest assured, we are in for 2018 as well :clap:clap:clap

So I guess the message is to say that if you have ever found the technical info Pyn has shared helpful, or if you have enjoyed vicariously travelling along with him on the Races to Places project, then perhaps now is a great chance to show your thanks by sending a few £'s to support the 2018 video project.
  16. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in
    C'mon you FFs, this is easily the best value for your entertainment dollars! Remember Lyndon flopping down the river bed on his back at 60mph...he was doing that just for footage. Let's get him some money so he doesn't have to do that shit this time. That's probably what cost him 1st place
    Greedyg76 and pebble35 like this.
  17. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ That and having to stop to go to the loo.....

M.
  18. Lorretto

Lorretto City Dweller Crushperado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the project - I'm in as well
  19. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you like to receive FREE, DAILY, MEDIA coverage of the 2018 Dakar from an ADVrider Inmate's point of view?

This doesn't happen by itself.

Then support Lyndon's efforts to fund a vehicle, driver, pro videographer and video editor.
    And the Dakar licensing rights and the daily satellite link.

Lyndon will race Dakar 2018, he has different sponsors for that.

The free daily media idea is Lyndon's idea to give back, to share with the world.

Lyndon is taking his own time and money to organize the capability to bring free daily media coverage of the 2018 Dakar.

Like having one of your own giving an inside view to what the premier rally in the world is like.

Lyndon has a kickstarter project to fund the free daily media. LINK

Did I say "FREE DAILY MEDIA" enough?

I supported Lyndon's project
    MattF44 and MadM like this.
  20. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ Well said..
    Another supporter here. Started reading about Dakar when I was about 8 (1980) and became quickly obsessed. Back then there was no internet, no cell phones, and no cable TV - oh the horror. I ended up annoying my aunt who worked at the local library to bring in books/articles about Dakar to get my fix. Always hated the coverage, typically around a 3 minutes overview at each day's end.

THIS IS DIFFERENT and I can't wait for this to happen. Support Lyndon - we've all saved huge $$$$$ following his advice/techniques/fixes to our beloved KTMs that he's offered for free on this forum. We now have a way to thank him...

M.
    outbacktm and mountaincadre like this.